carat
color
clarity

Antique sapphire & diamond cluster ring

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone, I'm new. :)

My boyfriend proposed to me last Saturday with this ring that we had both seen together in an antique shop. He had gone back for it without me knowing.

As far as I know, it's dated between 1910-1920 so Edwardian era.
1.7 carat sapphire - I'm not sure about the cut and I'd like to know where it is from. It's quite vivid blue, well in comparison to modern sapphires I've seen on the high street.
There are just over 1 carat diamonds (14 in the halo/cluster and 3 on each shoulder).
The setting is platinum. Milgrain detailing and no claws, a tiny bit of the milgrain is missing/damaged but apart from that it seems to be in very good condition.

It is perfect, I love it so much :love: It needs to go back to be sized down so I have to let it go for a week :(sad

img_1188__2_0.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful. :appl: Congrats!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, I've been doing some reading and I should actually describe this as a halo ring? Is that correct? :confused:

I can't go back and change it now. :doh:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's spectacular! :love: :love: :love: LOVE it. Congratulations!!!
I think I would agree and describe it as a halo ring but it doesn't matter. No matter what you label it this ring will always be gorgeous! :appl:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you :)

No hallmarks other than PLAT stamp and letters that could be KAPP. I'm intrigued to find out more about it, my fiancé says I'm a bit obsessed. :tongue: I told him wait until the wedding planning starts mwahaha! :lol:

*although looking at it in daylight I don't think it says KAPP at all.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some close up photos I've just taken:

showing some kind of inclusions

with flash

side detail

underneath

img_11576.jpg

img_11577.jpg

img_11578.jpg

img_11579.jpg

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
and the stamp I'm trying to find out more about.

img_1229__2_.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is sensational!
The color is so velvety. Great choice! Love it.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, unfortunately the lady from the antique shop, despite having a gemological qualification (British) couldn't tell us much about the history of the ring.
I'd love to know where the sapphire is from. I know it's almost impossible to tell from the photos.
Maybe I'll find out more when she sends it to be sized down for me.

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
This is gorgeous!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, these were my old rings (first marriage) so it is quite some difference :D

old_rings.jpg

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't have any info for you except to say that it is absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on the engagement and such a beautiful ring! :dance:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you :bigsmile:

diamonddemon

Rough_Rock
It's so gorgeous. I recently sold a very similar ring, but yours is just jaw dropping :love:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, since doing my research I've been kind of disappointed to discover that the sapphire is likely to be synthetic. But it's still beautiful and I do love it, and nobody else knows so. :praise: Chin up. :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LJsapphire2304|1463076896|4030809 said:
Thanks, since doing my research I've been kind of disappointed to discover that the sapphire is likely to be synthetic. But it's still beautiful and I do love it, and nobody else knows so. :praise: Chin up. :)

Beautiful ring. I wonder if it is truly antique. From the pics it looks as if the diamonds may be modern vs. old cuts and the sapphire looks in remarkable condition for such an old ring. Could it be an antique reproduction ring? If so- there may be a good chance the sapphire is not synthetic.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1463348739|4032066 said:
LJsapphire2304|1463076896|4030809 said:

Beautiful ring. I wonder if it is truly antique. From the pics it looks as if the diamonds may be modern vs. old cuts and the sapphire looks in remarkable condition for such an old ring. Could it be an antique reproduction ring? If so- there may be a good chance the sapphire is not synthetic.

The sapphire is full of bubbles, I used a 10x microscope objective lens. I also have some DSLR photographs taken using a macro lens. I posted a separate thread in the coloured stone forum to see if anyone could give me any advice about the history/origin of the ring. I've seen similar marked as Edwardian and others as mid century.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-i-find-out-where-my-antique-sapphire-is-from.222650/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-i-find-out-where-my-antique-sapphire-is-from.222650/[/URL]

The setting is just marked PLAT, no other hallmarks so I'm led to believe it's pre-1975. There is quite a lot of wear to the milgrain
It was sold to us as antique, she said 1910s. I've wondered about the diamonds - what do I need to look for to determine whether modern or old cut? I've seen some diagrams but they are too small for me to tell really. I can't see much of the underside while in the setting. :confused: The table (is that the flat part at the top?) does seem quite large.

Maybe it just isn't what we thought it was at all. :blackeye:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With antique round cuts you usually see high crowns and the culet has no point. So you usually see a small "hole" for lack of a better term in the center of the diamond. Old mine cuts usually have high crowns and "chunky" facets while OEC's and transitional cuts have "flowery" patterns. Girdles may or may not look frosted. You basically know them when you see them vs. more modern round cuts that are cut for better light return.

As for the sapphire- no one knows until it is tested by a reputable lab. We can make educated guesses from photos but that is not very scientific.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Jaw-droppingly beautiful. Congratulations on your engagement and having such a gorgeous ring!

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Amber :)
Lisa, I've updated my other thread since I got it back after sizing down. It has been repaired (milgrain) and cleaned up and I'm a lot happier now.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a feeling the sapphire was genuine and not a synthetic. I am so happy in how this had turned out for you. :appl:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you :praise:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello again, I haven't been around for a while but I did a thing :) I know how much you like flowers. I was admiring my orchids on the kitchen window and thought I could utilise them to make it pretty.

Just taken with my iphone, I still haven't collared my darling fiancé to take proper photos. :tongue:

(edit * the forum has rotated the first 2 for some reason)

(used a phone app to enhance clarity :))

had it valued for insurance at the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham and they put it at almost double what he paid so he's happy about that. 8-)

img_12601.jpg

pvav5338.jpeg

img_12602.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring. Thanks for sharing. So sweet of your fiance to go back and get it for you on the sly.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement LJSapphire2304,

Your ring is absolutely beautiful and although I can't help you with any information I know how you feel about being fascinated by it and its history.
I have a similar antique Platinum set Sapphire and diamond ring that was given to me as a Big birthday present, we believe it's genuinely from the 1920's due to its manufacturing style and the cut of the stones etc, but I don't think we will ever know for certain...I adore it!

I wish you a lifetime of happiness together and delight wearing your ring, it's gorgeous, your Fiancé has impeccable taste :)

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thank you both :)

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Re: Antique sapphire & diamond cluster ring

That's just beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium