shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique ring settings

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Hi all-I feel like it is getting more challenging to find Antique ring settings and wondering if there are any vendors/websites that you can recommend to continue my search for an antique ring setting(at this point no specific era, just authentic, has to fit my stone and speak to me)?

I have searched Ebay, Etsy, Rubylane, 1st Dibs, but the selection is so much smaller than it ever used to be and what is available seems ridiculously priced currently!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all-I feel like it is getting more challenging to find Antique ring settings and wondering if there are any vendors/websites that you can recommend to continue my search for an antique ring setting(at this point no specific era, just authentic, has to fit my stone and speak to me)?

I have searched Ebay, Etsy, Rubylane, 1st Dibs, but the selection is so much smaller than it ever used to be and what is available seems ridiculously priced currently!

I'll be interested to see if anyone has any good suggestions. Everything I see online is exceptionally overpriced, and sellers often don't even mention the size of stone the setting could accommodate. I guess we're expected to just roll the dice?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I'll be interested to see if anyone has any good suggestions. Everything I see online is exceptionally overpriced, and sellers often don't even mention the size of stone the setting could accommodate. I guess we're expected to just roll the dice?

I agree, some sellers do not include a lot of information on the setting and some aren't willing to try and take measurements for you, kind of frustrating!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried searching for pearl or lab sapphire or spinel rings? I get lucky that way sometimes.

Thank you-I started searching those last night, seems like the search may be tougher to narrow down, but have seen lots of pretty rings this way :)

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

I tend to mosey around IG in my spare time, and notice that it somehow seems like so many pieces simply pass from vendor to vendor (or if they're not "vendors", they're "collectors" that like to buy, trade, and sell), no doubt for an increase in price each time they trade hands.

Well-priced items vanish, only to appear on some IG seller's grid. It's no small wonder that the selection is smaller now, and the prices have increased. Kind of disheartening for those who just shop for personal use/pleasure.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried searching for pearl or lab sapphire or spinel rings? I get lucky that way sometimes.

I recommend this method. I did it a few months ago--bought a "lab sapphire" ring for the antique deco platinum setting. The "lab sapphires" turned out to be lovely natural purple sapphires, probably unheated!

IMG_3189.jpeg

IMG_3162.jpeg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I tend to mosey around IG in my spare time, and notice that it somehow seems like so many pieces simply pass from vendor to vendor (or if they're not "vendors", they're "collectors" that like to buy, trade, and sell), no doubt for an increase in price each time they trade hands.

Well-priced items vanish, only to appear on some IG seller's grid. It's no small wonder that the selection is smaller now, and the prices have increased. Kind of disheartening for those who just shop for personal use/pleasure.

I also see alot of that with IG sellers as well, the same piece with one seller then another and always with a price increase. I usually kick myself for not purchasing an item quicker when I see it come up again for sale with a higher price!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I recommend this method. I did it a few months ago--bought a "lab sapphire" ring for the antique deco platinum setting. The "lab sapphires" turned out to be lovely natural purple sapphires, probably unheated!

IMG_3189.jpeg

IMG_3162.jpeg

Really lovely find!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Here's a beauty. Holds a 4.5mm (ish) stone, size 5.75.
Pretty setting!

I may have found a setting, but it would need alot of re-working. It housed a bezel set stone previously and would need a resize as well-not many benches I would feel comfortable rebuilding a delicate bezel and having to add new engraving to the resized shank-so we will see :) The other issue in question for me is the setting height, currently around 8ish mm, may be a bit clunky.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Here’s a remodelling project I got back from DK today. 3 stone ring with lab sapphire. Swapped lab sapphire for Burma star ruby. IMG_2343.jpeg image.jpg

Love it-he did a great swap for you!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
So this is the setting I am considering, my main concern is the height. It is 8mm without the stone set so seems like it may be too high to me…

Does anyone wear a high setting on a regular basis, if so do you feel like you have to avoid knocking on everything? I usually like moderately low to the finger settings!

IMG_8421.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8428.jpeg
    IMG_8428.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I have two rocket-set rings and I think I bang those less. Something about being tall makes me more conscious of the ring. I have much more damage to stones set low. My moissy Asscher looks like I'm a diesel mechanic.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I have two rocket-set rings and I think I bang those less. Something about being tall makes me more conscious of the ring. I have much more damage to stones set low. My moissy Asscher looks like I'm a diesel mechanic.
A great point-I suppose that I would also be more aware of a taller setting! And at least the girdle would be protected by the bezel.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
So this is the setting I am considering, my main concern is the height. It is 8mm without the stone set so seems like it may be too high to me…

Does anyone wear a high setting on a regular basis, if so do you feel like you have to avoid knocking on everything? I usually like moderately low to the finger settings!

IMG_8421.jpeg

@lulu_ma and @oldcutclubmember both have relatively tall settings, as I recall. Perhaps they will chime in?

But also, that setting is stunning. I'm sure David Klass could easily do whatever repairs are needed.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@lulu_ma and @oldcutclubmember both have relatively tall settings, as I recall. Perhaps they will chime in?

But also, that setting is stunning. I'm sure David Klass could easily do whatever repairs are needed.
Thanks-I too think it is a lovely setting. I appreciate the recommendation for David Klass as well. I hope the other chime in on their settings also :)

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I love the metal work on the gallery and the engravings down the shank. It's a gorgeous setting. So my ring is not as tall as the one you are considering. My ring is around 5mm without the stone. With the stone, it is right under 8mm and I don't find myself bumping into things. My setting is cathedral like the one you are considering and I think that helps in "grounding" the ring a bit visually and structurally.

As @lala646 indicated, @lulu_ma has a tall setting and a much bigger stone than I do so I think she will be able to provide more info.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
My stone is 8.5 mm tall and with the setting it is 10.5 mm off the finger. I was concerned that the height would be an issue, but I have gotten used to it.

I love the setting you are considering!

Last edited:

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I love the metal work on the gallery and the engravings down the shank. It's a gorgeous setting. So my ring is not as tall as the one you are considering. My ring is around 5mm without the stone. With the stone, it is right under 8mm and I don't find myself bumping into things. My setting is cathedral like the one you are considering and I think that helps in "grounding" the ring a bit visually and structurally.

As @lala646 indicated, @lulu_ma has a tall setting and a much bigger stone than I do so I think she will be able to provide more info.

Thanks for chiming in about your lovely ring!

In my head, I think if the shoulders on this ring were a bit more substantial it would maybe balance out the height some. But really love all the metal work and engraving, so it keeps calling to me :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
My stone is 8.5 mm tall and with the setting it is 10.5 mm off the finger. I was concerned that the height would be an issue, but I have gotten used to it.

I love the setting you were considering!
Thanks for chiming in about your fabulous ring! So, glad to hear that the height has not been an issue and that you have gotten used to it.

My stone is much smaller than yours with the depth at 6.5ish mm so could go a bit lower with a setting, but I really love the details of this setting and think I'd like the protection of the bezel on my bruted girdle!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@oldcutclubmember I just realized that Amelia is the ring that you were speaking of in your post, at first I had a picture of another ring in my head when I saw your name! She is beautiful :)

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
@oldcutclubmember I just realized that Amelia is the ring that you were speaking of in your post, at first I had a picture of another ring in my head when I saw your name! She is beautiful :)
Thank you so much!! ❤️❤️ I love Amelia’s setting but to have a genuine period piece like the one you are considering with such beautiful details would be even better!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much!! ❤️❤️ I love Amelia’s setting but to have a genuine period piece like the one you are considering with such beautiful details would be even better!

That is a sweet thing to say, but your Amelia is really fabulous!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
If anyone is interested, I have this setting sitting around. My jeweler was very careful when removing the stone, so it could be easily rehabbed by a competent jeweler. It held a 5.9mm x 6.0mm OEC, so could hold a 6mm stone. Size 5. Aside from the cut, the bezel is in excellent condition. 2 tone (WG top, YG body), 14k, 1.86g empty. I have a Preloved post up right now, so you can find my contact info there if interested, or if you want more details or photos.

ZJ.jpg B286CE0C-9728-44B2-9AC1-EBE3649FD6D9.jpeg

IMG_20240211_124709.jpg

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a nice one (with a hideous 1 ct stone):
1708977195988.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results