shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique ring from my Grandmother

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock

My FF just got me a digital camera today for our anniversary and I thought I should get some practice taking pictures of diamonds for when I get my e-ring

2.gif
. Here''s a ring that my grandmother gave to me when I was a baby. Her father gave it to her when she was pretty young. I''m pretty sure she was born around the turn of the century. Here''s what my appraisal says:

The center stone is a .18 transitional cut, F SI1
3.7mmx2.2mm
cut: sym-good, polish-good
depth: 59%
table: 62%
girdle thickness: medium
culet: none
fluorescence: none

The center stone is prong set. The ring is set with 18 single and mine cut diamonds mesuring 1.5mm to 2.1mm each, .55 cts T.W., vs1-vs2 clarity, G-H color and are prong set. the ring is of an antique filigree design and tapers from 1.4mm to 12.7mm

And here''s a collage I made with my new sony cyber-shot 6.0

antiqueringcollageweb.jpg

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
If anyone out there has this camera, any photo taking tips would be greatly appreciated
1.gif
. As you can see, I''m not the best photographer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely ring, Robbie! That is so special to have an antique ring from your grandmother!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~It''s pretty!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
It looks lovely....but I want clearer pictures!!!!
3.gif
2.gif

Have you discovered the macro feature on your camera? (In lots of cameras, you know you''re set for macro when you see a "tulip" icon.) Then you can take great closeups.

I love love love family treasures such as yours....be sure to post it in the "Show me your family heirloom!" thread.

widget

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
yes, I agree! that little "tulip" feature on cameras it awesome for closeups, especially on tiny things.

Also, make sure both hands are VERY still, especially the one holding the camera. Most people think to keep their hand still, but move the camera around trying to get a good shot and forget to hold it steady for a moment or two before snapping it.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Sadly my camera doesn''t have a macro function
7.gif
. I''m pretty disappointed. I thought all cameras had it so I didn''t even check before I bought it. The closest I can take pictures is about 4 inches.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 8:27:08 AM
Author: robbie3982
Sadly my camera doesn''t have a macro function
7.gif
. I''m pretty disappointed. I thought all cameras had it so I didn''t even check before I bought it. The closest I can take pictures is about 4 inches.
If you just got it, I would retun it for one that has macro. Just tell them it is not what you wanted, shouldn''t be a problem!

eleguin

Shiny_Rock
I have the Sony Cybershot T-5, I''m not sure how different it is from the one you have, but my macro symbol is a magnifying glass instead of a flower. Maybe you can look around your menu to see if it''s the same for you. I think that most digicams have macro function these days.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Pretty and feminine. Love it. I think those styles are coming back. I have a new rhr that people are always asking if it was my grandmother''s. I enjoy the "implied history" of it! I think mysterious = sexy.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
there''s actually a 15% restocking fee once you open the box and since taking pictures of diamonds is really only one thing that I''ll be taking pics of out of many it''s not really worth it. I looked in the manual for macro and when I couldn''t find anything I searched online and it appears that my camera has something called "auto macro" but I can''t figure out what that is or how to use it
7.gif
. Any camera pros out there?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very pretty--you must be thrilled to have such a wonderful ring!

cheers--Sharon

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 10:44:39 AM
Author: robbie3982
there''s actually a 15% restocking fee once you open the box and since taking pictures of diamonds is really only one thing that I''ll be taking pics of out of many it''s not really worth it. I looked in the manual for macro and when I couldn''t find anything I searched online and it appears that my camera has something called ''auto macro'' but I can''t figure out what that is or how to use it
7.gif
. Any camera pros out there?
There should be an explanation of it in your manual. If it''s not descriptive enough, go back to where you bought it and have them show you how it works.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring, I love antique jewelry!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results