shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Platinum Setting Restoration

seedslinger

Rough_Rock
I have a platinum engagement ring that was my great-grandmothers. The problem is that the bottom of the ring has broken cleanly apart. My mother had the ring "fixed" a few years ago by what she thought was a reputable jeweler, but unfortantely the fix did not last.

My question is two-fold: is it possible to fix the ring and make it as strong or stronger than new? If so, and this may be sacriledge, can the ring be "restored", as in cleaning up the worn lines and edges and make it look as near as new as possible?

I really like the ring, but would like to clean it up a bit and generally make it look like new.
If this is possible, are there any recomendations for jewelers? I am in the Bay Area if that matters.

Thanks

LGK

Ideal_Rock
If the shank is plain you can definitely get it reshanked quite easily. If it has engraving, or other decoration, that's a tougher fix but probably still possible. It's definitely not unusual for an antique ring to need reshanking- they do wear down over time, platinum included. (The bottom of one antique platinum ring that I have is pretty much wire-thin.) Yes, you can get other things touched up- engraving/millgrain redone, melee repointed etc. I've had very delicate filigree pieces that had breaks in the filigree fixed invisibly. You just need to find a good, experienced bench.

I would recommend SingleStone, in LA. Frankly I'd send it to SS, rather than look for a local person to do it- you really don't want someone messing up an antique piece, which is unfortunately really easy to do. No, it's not heresy to fix an antique piece that requires work- it's just taking proper care of a beautiful piece of jewelry. ;)) Good luck! Hope it's an easy fix.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a piece re-shanked a few years ago and the delicate filigree under the stone was also broken so I had that repaired and re-engraved. It is definitely possible to fix, but it can be pricey. The jeweler who did my ring has retired or I'd recommend him.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I second LGK! Ari knows what he's doing and will be able to restore your ring to make it last another 100 years and will do it in a way that is as authentic as possible for the time period.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

seedslinger

Rough_Rock
You guys/gals are the best.

It is a simple shank, so that should not be an issue.

And it seems like SingleStone is the place to go.

Thanks for everything.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I have had many many antique platinum repairs done by singlestone, they are the only place I trust!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I had an antique ring sized at Joe Escobar in Campbell. I wouldn't say they specialize in antiques but were able to size my platinum antique eternity band, replicate the engraving and milgrain to the point where you can not detect the join. They also did some work on the ring shown in my avatar.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results