shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Pendant - no history, but gorgeous!

lindacat

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this Victorian Pendant? It is silver with coral stones and a portrait that is signed, but I cannot make out the signature. It looks like the first letter is a flowing "C", but that's all I can see in the picture. When I get it (from Ebay), I will put it under the microscope to see if I can read it.
I had no other pendants; this one just caught my eye and looked really special. He was asking $375, but I offered $299 and we settled at a little over $300. He said he buys lots of antique jewelry so has no history on it.
Anyone have any ideas??

pendant 2.jpg

pendant 3.jpg

lindacat

Rough_Rock
There have been alot of views of this piece, but no one has replied - anyone have any ideas about the age of this piece? Seller said that it is hand-painted, French, with a Eagle Head hallmark on the silver (800). At first I thought it was Victorian, or a mourning locket - but the girl is wearing a red dress, so I dismissed that idea. Any thoughts at all? I wonder if it is really Victorian or if it is older? :?:

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
could you show us the back of the piece please.I hate to say it but my gut instinct is that this may be vintage rather then antique.The style of painting and silver work looks more 1960s work then 1860s to me. When there was a huge demand for antique jewelry because of the trend setting movie Romeo and Juliet(1968).

lindacat

Rough_Rock
Here is the back of the piece.

back of pin.jpg

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
It's interesting, the French used eagle heads on their gold mostly (and platinum between 1910-1912, then platinum changed to a dog) but for silver it was more common for them to use a boar head or a crab.
See, French hallmarks are considered the most vast and challenging to learn out of all countries.
They weren't known for putting numbers on their silver, however, Portugal was known to use an eagle head stamp above a number. There's a chance it may not be French, but it could be. The French still use many of these hallmarks to present day.
The only way to know for sure would be to contact Sotheby's and see if they can refer you to somebody to authenticate it and give you a better idea as to provenance.
Either way, it's a lovely piece!

lindacat

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for all the info - I should be getting it within the next couple days. The seller has a 100% refund policy and a 100% positive feedback, so I figured I could always send it back if I don't like it. I have a gem microscope and once I get it, I will put it under and examine the signature and also the hallmark.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results