shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique pear setting advice...

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have been hankering (for lack of a better word) to set my antique pear in this setting since I got it. It was one of my top choices. I love the setting I chose, but at some point I am going to do this setting:)

My first question is who would you choose to recreate it? It is an antique that was sold by Victor Barbonne. I cannot find ANY information on it except that it is a true antique, not a reproduction. The stones seem to be a mix of oecs and single cuts, I think. I'm not sure if I would do old cuts or modern. I do know that this is not going to be a cheap setting by any stretch of the imagination. I don't see anything I would want to change about it- I love it.

2nd question- proportion. My pear measures 8.81x7.07 The biggest diamonds I see in this setting is the one on top in the fleur-de-lis and on the very bottom. What size do you think I would need for those two stones to make it proportional to my pear? That stone is a 2.5 carat stone I believe. I was guessing .30 but wanted to see what you all thought.

3rd question- would you do old cuts with this or just do modern cuts? I am thinking modern cuts would be cheaper, and finding a parcel of old cuts in all those different sizes would be a huge PITA and I know getting them custom cut would be a lot. BUT if I'm doing this setting, I want to do it right.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

fullsizeoutput_2c3e_740x.jpeg

https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/lucy-antique-pear-cut-diamond-ring

Q

Queenie60

Your beautiful pear seems to be at home in its current setting. Why change it?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! :love: You say you want to do it right, then I suggest you stick with old cuts! Modern stones wouldn’t look right imo. As far as proportion I really can’t comment. Perhaps whichever vendor you chose can guide you on that. Wouldn’t you use CVB?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@soxfan do you have any idea on the measurements of the inspiration ring pear? I can try to lay it out on graph paper and get a sense for the mm sizes of the accent stones vs the central pear, if that would help.

ETA: I would probably reach out to Singlestone on recreating this for you.

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No advice ... but *beautiful* *beautiful* antique ring setting!!! Really glorious! Can't wait to see how your project turns out!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here it is kinda scaled to your stone’s measurements to give you a visual of how the width also changes since your pear is deliciously chubbier than the inspiration ring’s pear.
7328E4E3-EC90-4F0F-8C2D-B0435B12EAC8.jpeg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here it is kinda scaled to your stone’s measurements to give you a visual of how the width also changes since your pear is deliciously chubbier than the inspiration ring’s pear.
7328E4E3-EC90-4F0F-8C2D-B0435B12EAC8.jpeg

Wow! Thanks for doing this comparison! I might make some changes based on how chubby my pear is. :lol:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Thanks for doing this comparison! I might make some changes based on how chubby my pear is. :lol:

YW. I actually prefer the look with your pear vs the original. :love:

Just make sure you have the vertical finger real estate for it, or that too might require some more mods. It’s a lovely ring, and I think SS would do it the most justice in recreating it for you. Good luck! :wavey:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Art Deco and came upon Barbone, too! Definitely use old cuts esp Bc your pear is an old cut. Something about old cuts encrusted on platinum...round cuts would never achieve the same look.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YW. I actually prefer the look with your pear vs the original. :love:

Just make sure you have the vertical finger real estate for it, or that too might require some more mods. It’s a lovely ring, and I think SS would do it the most justice in recreating it for you. Good luck! :wavey:

That's why I love this one, the bulk of the ring is on the bottom. I have a lot of real estate there, but not from the bottom of my finger to my knuckle, KWIM?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's why I love this one, the bulk of the ring is on the bottom. I have a lot of real estate there, but not from the bottom of my finger to my knuckle, KWIM?
That's what I meant by vertical real estate. When I had CvB make my crossover ring, we were careful to ensure it would fit, I had my finger measured, and designed it to fit without being uncomfortable. I'd hate for that to be a surprise when you get your ring remade & in-hand.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's what I meant by vertical real estate. When I had CvB make my crossover ring, we were careful to ensure it would fit, I had my finger measured, and designed it to fit without being uncomfortable. I'd hate for that to be a surprise when you get your ring remade & in-hand.

YES! A wax model is a definite with this project.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
God, I love that style setting! Lots of good points have been made about trying to figure out the size stones needed. I'd have Caysie make this... just bc it would be amazing (and less expensive than SS, I would imagine). She has a great eye, so any changes would be easy for her to make aesthetically pleasing. I agree that the chubbiness would allow you to elongate the ends a bit to achieve the same overall look... if that's what you're going for. You could also have the bezel made such that it ever-so-slightly elongates your pear as well (maybe with teeny tiny double milgrain that is only on the ends and tapers into the sides), keeping the rest of the style pretty much identical to the Barbonne ring.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@soxfan ...You know I love this setting and I love your old pear cut! I jumped onto Instagram to peek at the designer's work per the above link posted by @JPie and WOW is all I can say! I NEVER comment on Instagram but I left the man a message about his work. His work is impeccable.

@soxfan you and I have very similar taste in antique jewelry & rings. I wish I could wear such settings! You have much more confidence than me to do so. I've gotta say, I like the more elongated pear look vs the chubbier one. If that's the look you like, I'm sure a talented designer could modify a setting for your pear with that "illusion." I do not have any experience with designers but from following as much as I do here on PS, I'd say 1) Cicada Jewelry Design, Inc (the above designer), 2) CvB, or maybe 3) Erica Derout and her NYC team ('cause she worked with Caysie and-I think-with Singlestone).

And if you look closely at Cicada's IG, you'll see Caysie follows him, right?

It's a beautiful setting and I know you adore it. Keep us posted!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of your advice. I've decided to keep my pear in my existing setting.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results