shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique? Opal ring -- info on these particular opals?

sprchik

Rough_Rock
I just purchased this ring from an antique store. Band is marked as 14k gold, with "1.28" -- opal carats, I assume.

I plan to take it in for an appraisal, but wondered if anyone here might be able to tell me anything about the stones in the meantime.

Not knowing much of anything about any kind of precious/semi-precious stones myself, my best guess from the wonderful world of internet is that the cut is pear cabochon? That correct?

I haven't been able to make any kind of educated guess as to the kind? (not even sure that's the right word!) of opal they are... light? white? etc... or about where they came from (Australia, Mexico, etc). Would love to know, if anyone can tell from the photos!

Off-topic to the stones, any idea what this setting design is called, if anything?

And, any idea if it is actually an antique? Haven't found any kind of maker's mark, just the karat and carat stamps, so no help there. No idea how anyone would be able to tell this, unless there is something about the opals that somehow pins down their age/origin.

Many thanks to anyone that can help my ignorant questions -- haha, all I know is I started drooling when I saw this ring! Hope I don't get told to mop up my drool because they're worthless or something.

20151230_192208-1.jpg

20151230_192158-1.jpg

20151230_134113-1-1.jpg

20151230_134056-1-1.jpg

sprchik

Rough_Rock
4 more photos... wonderful stones to photograph! So in love with all the various colors, the changes under different lighting, etc...

20151230_182848-1.jpg

20151230_182902-1.jpg

20151230_182922-1.jpg

20151230_182936-1.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nice opals.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
It's very pretty, but I am not qualified to comment on the opals as to whether they are natural or synthetic.

sprchik

Rough_Rock
Thanks lambskin, and thanks indigoblue - and I also have no clue how to tell!

I know there are opal fans on here that can help, I've read some fabulous comments on other posts about opals. But even after reading other comments, I find I must not have the eye (yet!) for this sort of thing, lol. No idea what kind of pattern they are, etc. I look at photos, compare them to this ring, and I just can't tell.

But I can happily take and post more pictures at different angles and lighting for anyone that needs them to help determine anything to describe these stones. :)

Side note - I stopped by a local jeweler to see about having these stones removed and placed into a different/custom setting, and they straight up said they wouldn't do a job like that on opals. Too great a risk of damaging the stones when taking them out or putting them back in. Really? Is it just this particular local jeweler that would refuse a job like this, or would this be the consensus of any jeweler I go to? I'm really not a fan of the setting they're in -- strongly dislike yellow gold, and it's so tall... not my style at all.
So, additional questions -
-would the opal experts here advise against having them transferred to a new setting?
-are they even worth spending the money on doing that? (which I have no idea the price range it would cost, never had a custom anything in my life! - the jeweler wouldn't even give me a range, just said that they wouldn't take the job)

If they shouldn't be transferred or if they're not worth it, I still think they're lovely anyway. At the least I wonder if I can have those 3 gold balls removed and replaced with some kind of gem...

teklit

Rough_Rock
I'm not an expert in anything but, your ring is FUNKY and I mean that good way. It's unique, has personality, and is probably one of the most interesting opal settings I've seen- I'm not a fan of opals they always look so matronly but yours is cool and hip. It kind of reminds me of a peacock's plume. Personally, I would not dismantle that ring.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Sprchik,
Your opals are definitely crystal opal as there is no potch or common opal on the back of the gems and you can see the metal work through the stones. It is a bit harder to pick the origin of these gems. I am leaning towards Australian crystal opal Over it being Wello (Ethiopian). One way to tell the difference between the two is that the majority of Ethiopian Opal is considered Hydophane. This means when the opal is immersed in water the play of colour disappears somewhat and the stone may become cloudy and this is due the gem is taking in water. It can be a little bit dangerous doing this however as it can increase stresses within the stone causing it to crack. However opal is generally cut on wheels using water as a lubricant.
Some colour patterns are also unique to areas however not the patters showing from your gems. This is where video is so much better for viewing opals as the play of colour can truly be seen.
I have cut some stones very similar to these from Lightning ridge and Coober Pedy. If anyone else has anything else to chime in please do!
AJ

P.S. I think your ring is beautiful!

sprchik

Rough_Rock
Thanks teklit, and many thanks AJ! Awesome, so crystal opal, possibly maybe Australian. And yes I've read on here about the water thing but have been very hesitant to try it. If it is actually an antique of sorts, I really don't want to try that. Would very much prefer not to encourage cracks!

So this pattern is not unique to a specific area, but a video would help identifying pattern? I have a brief video! I hope a link to the video is allowed? Double checked the forum policies, and I believe so... (not sure if videos can be uploaded here as attachments?)

https://vimeo.com/150462457

Oh yes, video is much more stunning than mere photos! *drool* All the colors of the rainbow in one stone! Or 4 stones in this case. ;-)

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
HI Sprchik,
The Top and left stone seem to have a rolling flash pattern. Right has a broad flash and both of these are quite common in LR material. They are very pretty crystal opals. Enjoy your lovely ring.
Probably a good idea not to try the water as it can take weeks for the colour to come back on top of possible cracking.
AJ

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think they are Welo. I think they are a newer find or discovery, not vintage... Meaning the Welo. Looks like lightening ridge to me and not doublets. They are actually really nice. Do you have any lights pointed on them or is that just a naturally lit picture? Really pretty

sprchik

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the info, AJ! I really appreciate it!

And thank you Gem Queen! I took this video shortly before I posted it, middle of the night in the "best" lighting in my house - the daylight fluorescent bulbs lining the top of a mirror. You can see the line of bulbs (there's only one row of bulbs, but they're being reflected as two rows in the photos - the photos in the second post were same lighting as video) reflected in the stones at certain angles in the video. I think the flash on my phone might have been running as well. I don't have any photos or videos from outside in plain natural light with no flash yet.

The pics in my first post might have had natural light, but I'm sure the camera flash was on as well. Those first 4 pics weren't the same light as the second 4 pics/video - first 4 in first post were in the car right after I left the store, ha!).

Will try for some pics outside in natural light later today, as long as no form of water is falling from the sky, haha.

sprchik

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately today is completely overcast, ugly solid grey sky. And it's snowing, so I didn't even stand under the sky, I stood under my covered screen porch, lol.
But this should be interesting for comparison on a nicer, unclouded day! ;-)

https://vimeo.com/150483889

Photos out on the porch as well, no camera flash.

20160101_130959-1.jpg

20160101_130757-1.jpg

20160101_130914-1.jpg

20160101_131016-1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results