shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Jewellers/ Hallmarks

HHtv

Rough_Rock
I am not sure if there is a thread like this on PS but i thought it would be an interesting idea. I know there are a lot of resources online when it comes to identifying old hallmarks/ maker's marks but some are more elusive than others.

Could this be a general thread to post for hallmark help and a general list of lesser known jewellers from antiquity?

here is a short story:

I have spent a few years trying to figure out a maker's mark on a french brooch/pendant i have and only just yesterday i came across a similar looking piece on eBay. Luckily they had the original box which showed the name and gave me some direction.

I haven't found anything online at all when searching the mark or now with the name and address from the box.

Has anyone on here heard of this jeweller?
jeweller.jpg

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
could we see the piece please? and we're sure the box belongs to the piece?

The rue de La Sourdière is a street in the 1st arrondissement of Paris, in France.
horlogerie/bijouterie means watches and jewelry

R. Laillard?
R. Taillard?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The rue de La Sourdière is a street in the 1st arrondissement of Paris, in France.

R. Laillard?
R. Taillard?

I read it as Saillard - LOL!

I think Laillard or Saillard are most likely.

Last edited:

HHtv

Rough_Rock

R. Laillard?
R. Taillard?

The picture of the top of the box is from a brooch i came across on eBay.

I was comparing it with a French brooch that I have which has French hallmarks, a “No.17” stamped on one side and a few numbers on the other. I tried searching the numbers for a design patent or copyright but nothing came up.

The seller also mentioned the brooch that has the box was listed 20+ years ago on Sotheby’s and I’ve been looking through the catalogues to see if they had any possible information on the jeweller as well.

HHtv

Rough_Rock
I read it as Saillard - LOL!

I think Laillard or Saillard are most likely.

I thought Saillard too but there’s no information on a jeweller of this name in Paris. Surely there has to be some sort of registry to check?

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Could it be Paillard?

HHtv

Rough_Rock
Could it be Paillard?
From what I can see, they were founded in 1957 and I would be looking at the Edwardian era for the brooch. I think the “N°17” may be part of the brand ?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I am posting into this instead of starting a new thread; was hoping there could be a thread dedicated to identifying hallmarks. I am hoping someone has insight into this one - the little "w" turned sideways:

IMG_6768.jpg

lapetitebaker

Rough_Rock
Here’s an interesting one. I just picked up a three-stone ring with two old mine cut diamonds and a sapphire. It was described as Edwardian by the seller. Could these marks near the 14k be maker marks? I’m not even entirely sure how to describe these shapes to start researching.

IMG_4360.jpeg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi. These are all maker marks and not hallmarks. Hallmarking - the assaying of precious metals to certain standards which are then indelibly marked on an object - is described in full by the London Assay office at Goldsmith's Hall. They've been doing it since 1300 and by UK law every precious metal piece over certain weights must be hallmarked before sale. The sponsor mark is optional (mine is my initials in an oval) but allows every item still in existence to be traced to its maker.
There's a shedload of info on the LAO website

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results