shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique French 18k yellow gold chain

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fafa

Shiny_Rock
I bought another antique gold chain from this seller not long ago and love the workmanship of that chain. Then I saw this shorter one with round panel links which I really like so I bought it too. I recently found myself drawn to yellow gold pieces more.
30.gif

IMG_0514a.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock

IMG_0519a.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock

IMG_0520a.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be still my heart...that is to DIE for. There had better be a neck shot coming.

fafa

Shiny_Rock
Thank you TravelingGal. I forgot to take neck shot today. I will work on it tomorrow I promise.
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks fafa. I''m reallly keen on seeing it. I am digging YG lately..the wonderful, rich kind.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a watch chain, BTW. And if you can get a good picture of the hallmarks there''s probably quite a lot that can be told about its original length and weight - French hallmarks for chains are very very detailed.

Lovely fin de siecle design

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s gorgeous. I''m not a huge YG fan, but I do love old YG that''s not highly polished. It takes on what I call a patina, but I don''t think gold gets a patina, right (only platinum?).

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful and delicate even while being simple. Very nice.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:58:22 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Wow, that''s gorgeous. I''m not a huge YG fan, but I do love old YG that''s not highly polished. It takes on what I call a patina, but I don''t think gold gets a patina, right (only platinum?).
Actually, it does. And so does silver, and wood. Patina in this context is simply the effect of multiple micro-scratches and dings that contributes to the feeling of age by taking off the highly polished mirror-like finish of new metal (for wood coupled together with the polishing and grime-forming effect of dusting and waxing). Platinum is typically softer than gold, so it gets it before gold does.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
well then I love the patina that old YG takes on!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
fafa,

That''s gorgeous!! Great find!
30.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Oh how lovely! I''m very attracted to yg these days! Very nice find!

fafa

Shiny_Rock

Thank you for the nice words Hudson_Hawk, HollyS, lucyandroger, SanDiegoLady, and coatimundi.

TravelingGal, here are the neck shots.

IMG_0555a.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock
with my gold locket

IMG_0563.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 7:13:33 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
That''s a watch chain, BTW. And if you can get a good picture of the hallmarks there''s probably quite a lot that can be told about its original length and weight - French hallmarks for chains are very very detailed.

Lovely fin de siecle design

Yes, it looks like a watch chain. The seller claimed the fittings are original but I have no idea what''s the original length. There are 3 stamps on this chain. I couldn''t get good shots but here they are. 2 of them look like the French Eagle Head stamps. I couldn''t make out what''s the 3rd one. I have a better shot of the hallmarks on my other French chain. Here''s the link if you''re interested.

1st stamp

IMG_0526a.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock
2nd stamp

IMG_0534a.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock
I guess this one is the maker''s mark but I can''t tell what''s on this stamp.

IMG_0533a.JPG

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
The last one is definitely the maker's mark. Initials K C if I see it correctly. The chain is marked for length between 20 and 40 cm, if the two eagle heads on the second photo are stamped in opposite directions, beaks in (that's what it seems to me, but the photo is slightly out of focus). The other chain is marked for longer than 60cm - there should be (but often there aren't) eagle marks at 10 and 50 cm (and 60, 100, 110, 150...).

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
That is seriously cool! I love the detail!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I love love love it! It is fab with the lockett. Thanks for posting these fafa!!

fafa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 4:58:20 AM
The last one is definitely the maker''s mark. Initials K C if I see it correctly. The chain is marked for length between 20 and 40 cm, if the two eagle heads on the second photo are stamped in opposite directions, beaks in (that''s what it seems to me, but the photo is slightly out of focus). The other chain is marked for longer than 60cm - there should be (but often there aren''t) eagle marks at 10 and 50 cm (and 60, 100, 110, 150...).
Does the intials K C have any special meaning to them such as length, weight or other info? Yes, this chain is 39cm including the clasps and the eagle heads were marked as you mentioned. Do the marks look authentic? I tried to find a sample picture online but couldn''t find a good one. The other chain is 74.5cm. I can only find stamps on the rings on each end. No mark in between.

fafa

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your compliements, geckodani and TravelingGal.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 3:21:02 AM
Author: fafa

The last one is definitely the maker's mark. Initials K C if I see it correctly. The chain is marked for length between 20 and 40 cm, if the two eagle heads on the second photo are stamped in opposite directions, beaks in (that's what it seems to me, but the photo is slightly out of focus). The other chain is marked for longer than 60cm - there should be (but often there aren't) eagle marks at 10 and 50 cm (and 60, 100, 110, 150...).
Does the intials K C have any special meaning to them such as length, weight or other info? Yes, this chain is 39cm including the clasps and the eagle heads were marked as you mentioned. Do the marks look authentic? I tried to find a sample picture online but couldn't find a good one. The other chain is 74.5cm. I can only find stamps on the rings on each end. No mark in between.
The initials are just that - initials. Unfortunately, I have never found a good source of info on French makers' marks (like Jackson's for British) despite searching high and low, and I don't know this one.

The info on the length comes from the number of eagle heads and their position. Probably the assay office felt marking the links on the other chain would have been dangerous. The eagles look absolutely authentic to me; bear in mind that they only certify the metal to be 18k gold and to some extent the date (after 1895 - before the mark was a head of a Greek physician). I'll try to scan the page from Tardy on chain marking, but the print is appalling quality - I'm not sure it's going to help all that much to recognise authentic from false.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it!!!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sllluurrpppp!!!

LOVE it!!

YG is making a serious comeback and I myself am jonesing for one!

Congrats on a lovely find - wear in much love, great health, and happiness always!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, isn''t that just lovely!

fafa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 7:44:49 AM

Date: 3/5/2009 3:21:02 AM
Author: fafa

The last one is definitely the maker''s mark. Initials K C if I see it correctly. The chain is marked for length between 20 and 40 cm, if the two eagle heads on the second photo are stamped in opposite directions, beaks in (that''s what it seems to me, but the photo is slightly out of focus). The other chain is marked for longer than 60cm - there should be (but often there aren''t) eagle marks at 10 and 50 cm (and 60, 100, 110, 150...).
Does the intials K C have any special meaning to them such as length, weight or other info? Yes, this chain is 39cm including the clasps and the eagle heads were marked as you mentioned. Do the marks look authentic? I tried to find a sample picture online but couldn''t find a good one. The other chain is 74.5cm. I can only find stamps on the rings on each end. No mark in between.
The initials are just that - initials. Unfortunately, I have never found a good source of info on French makers'' marks (like Jackson''s for British) despite searching high and low, and I don''t know this one.

The info on the length comes from the number of eagle heads and their position. Probably the assay office felt marking the links on the other chain would have been dangerous. The eagles look absolutely authentic to me; bear in mind that they only certify the metal to be 18k gold and to some extent the date (after 1895 - before the mark was a head of a Greek physician). I''ll try to scan the page from Tardy on chain marking, but the print is appalling quality - I''m not sure it''s going to help all that much to recognise authentic from false.
Thanks for the explanation. I don''t know if you have already read this link. The eagle head on that site looks like the one on my chain.
1.gif
Yes, I''m interested to read more about chain marking. I''d appreciate if you can post the page here. Thank you so much.

fafa

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Lorelei, Grace, and Dana.

Grace, I love the pieces in your shop too.
3.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
From Poinçons d'or de platine et de palladium, Tardy, Paris, 13th edition 1996 on the marking of chains, bracelets, necklaces for length:

Tardy 001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results