shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on this Art Nouveau gold chain

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fafa

Shiny_Rock
I just got this 18ct gold necklace from a British dealer who claims that it''s from the art nouveau period. Does it look like an authentic piece? One of the loop has a hallmark look like the French eagle head. Does this stamp look like the real deal? Any opinion will be appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_9412.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock

IMG_9385.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock

IMG_9383.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock
the stamp

EagleHead.jpg

fafa

Shiny_Rock
Another picture of the stamp. There are also other marks on the loop but I couldn''t get a clear picture under my kitchen light. I will try to take better pictures when the sun come out.

EagleHead1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It''s pretty. It could be authentic as far as I know. How long is it? The longer it is, the more I would believe it''s old--they wore long chains back then to hold watches, lorgnettes, etc.

fafa

Shiny_Rock
glitterata, thanks for your compliement. The chain is 28" long and weight 25.5 grams. Yes, I saw some 50" and 60" pieces when I was shopping around. There are also very short ones around 13-16". I wonder if they cut the long ones short to make necklaces because those chains all have regular clasps instead of swirl watch clasp. I just bought a 14" white gold watch chain from a later periiod. I use it as choker. It has very heavy watch clasp.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it certainly could be a longer watch chain cut down.

I think it''s really attractive, and I wouldn''t be at all surprised if it were genuinely old.

Wear it in health & happiness.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 10:05:13 AM
Author:fafa
I just got this 18ct gold necklace from a British dealer who claims that it''s from the art nouveau period. Does it look like an authentic piece? One of the loop has a hallmark look like the French eagle head. Does this stamp look like the real deal? Any opinion will be appreciated. Thanks.
looks period to me.

fafa

Shiny_Rock
glitterata and jewelerman, thank you for your opinions. Do you think the eagle head is authentic?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I kind of think it probably is period too. Even if perchance the clasp turns out to be newer, it wouldn't necessarily mean the whole necklace is... it wouldn't be unusual at all, to see a new clasp on an old necklace. (Not saying it is a new clasp- I just checked the clasp on the safety chain on one of my 1910ish French watches and it looks a lot like yours.) The chain itself has a nice delicacy to it, and the scrollwork/filigree looks like it's very nicely done, which would make me think it is indeed an old one. It is really pretty!

fafa

Shiny_Rock
Thank you LittleGreyKitten for your input. The more I look at it the more I think it''s an old one. Yes, I really like the craftmanship on this chain. The detailed millibead design and the scroll work are amazing. Here are two neck shot to show how I wear it. Thanks for everyone''s help.

IMG_9667.JPG

fafa

Shiny_Rock
double it up

IMG_9659.JPG

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Fafa, that looks great on you, both ways.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 11:16:42 AM
Author: glitterata
Fafa, that looks great on you, both ways.
the necklace is beautiful on you!This style of chain is a real classic look that never dates itself...wear it often and enjoy the compliments you recieve!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s very pretty and looks great on you. I love seeing what old jewellery people find. The necklace just looks beautiful.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it''s possible, I love this one more! I love it double wrapped...fabulous!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I like them both - the other one I like more as a piece of goldsmith work, but the double wrap on this one suits you wonderfully.

fafa

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone. I wear this chain quite a lot lately. I usually double wrapped it with my locket.
1.gif

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, that certainly is one gorgeous chain!
30.gif
The scrollwork is amazing and it really looks great on you!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thats such a pretty chain. It sure does look old. Can you read all the hallmarks? That might tell you something.

fafa

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, AdiS. The scrollwork look much better in person.

innerkitten, I can''t read the hallmarks except the eagle heads.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, gorgeous!!! I''d love to have some long real gold chains like that!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the neck shots!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results