shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique for First Ever Diamond?

MarlonN

Rough_Rock
Is it a good idea to give someone an antique diamond if it is going to be the very first diamond that they ever owned? Are antiques just for older people or are they good for any age?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on her preference. Have you discussed it at all?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All diamonds are millions of years old! Antique diamonds, even older vintage diamonds are not cut to the same precision and brilliance as modern cut diamonds are. That said, many people much prefer a rose cut or mine cut diamond over the modern cuts. With antique rings you need to get the setting checked. Settings do wear over time and the setting may be worn, prongs damaged, shank worn thin etc. It can be expensive to repair an antique setting and sometimes it's just not possible. Also some settings styles do not lend themselves to resizing up or down more than 1 size, a problem if the ring is too small or too big to start with. Most important though is your fiancé to be expectation, if she is a huge fan of Victorian style jewellery, yes, an antique cut diamond / setting is the way to go but if she is a modern lass, expecting a crisp, sleek plain style with a very sparkly round diamond, then modern cut and a contemporary setting is best.

MarlonN

Rough_Rock
Bron357|1479599286|4100668 said:
All diamonds are millions of years old! Antique diamonds, even older vintage diamonds are not cut to the same precision and brilliance as modern cut diamonds are. That said, many people much prefer a rose cut or mine cut diamond over the modern cuts. With antique rings you need to get the setting checked. Settings do wear over time and the setting may be worn, prongs damaged, shank worn thin etc. It can be expensive to repair an antique setting and sometimes it's just not possible. Also some settings styles do not lend themselves to resizing up or down more than 1 size, a problem if the ring is too small or too big to start with. Most important though is your fiancé to be expectation, if she is a huge fan of Victorian style jewellery, yes, an antique cut diamond / setting is the way to go but if she is a modern lass, expecting a crisp, sleek plain style with a very sparkly round diamond, then modern cut and a contemporary setting is best.
I guess now that I think about it, she may not prefer an antique over something new, modern and edgy. I think I'll be going with a new ring after all. Thanks for the help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results