shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique engagement ring from her parents!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mquinn96

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for oppinions on the engagement ring I''ll be using to propose to my girlfriend of over a year. It is an antique and I was floored to be able to get it.

Here is the background: When I spoke to my future inlaws to ask for thier blessing and permision to marry thier daughter, they said YES, and then proceeded to show me something very special. They gave me a ring that was willed to thier daughter many years ago. It is her great grandmother''s engagement ring. My girlfriend knows it exists, but does not know it is hers!
Now for the realy interesting part; It was appraised at $14,000 several years ago for insurance purposes. I''m getting it re-appraised in order to get it under my insurance, but that won''t be for a couple weeks. In the mean time I''ve done some research and found the following:
The ring is Edwardian and was purchased around 1908 in St.Petersburg, Russia. The Jewler it was purchased from is Baucheron. It is a platinum band with an Old Miners Cut diamond (apprears to be about 1 CT). It is flanked by a total of eight smaller diamonds along the band. No fancy engraving. The prongs are heavy with gold caps on them and they wrap the corners of the stone.
Please resond here if you have ever encountered such a ring or know of it''s basic value (of course, the appraiser will tell me more, but I''m curious for oppionions) :)
I''m so excited because I know she already loves this ring and I''m looking foward to proposing with it!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness...the ring sounds absolutely thrilling...period Edwardian, signed Boucheron!!!???!!!
23.gif

I'd kill to see a picture of this beauty!

I couldn't guess what it's current value is, except to say that in general, the market for signed period vintage jewelry is hot.

I'd recommend that you find an appraiser who specializes in antiques...I'm confident that the replacement value of this ring is considerably more than just the carat weight and quality of its diamonds.

Is there any way you could share a picture of this treasure with us??

widget

Edited to add: Shame on me. I got so excited by your description that I forgot to mention the most important thing, what makes your treasure truly priceless in every sense of the word: it's a treasured family heirloom. It just doesn't get better!
30.gif
Congratulations!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my I''m sure that is just gorgeous!!!! You have to share a pic with us, PLEASE???? widget gave you very good advice about finding an appraiser that knows antique jewelry well. She said it all and I can''t add anything except pics please!!!!
3.gif

mquinn96

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I didn''t think to take a photo when I first got it. It went strait to my bank safety deposit box!
I''ll be taking it out in a week for the appraisal (they specialize in antique and estate jewlery) I''ll be taking photos at that time and will post them :)

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I can''t wait to see pics of this gorgeous ring!!
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations on your upcoming engagement. that is so special, being able to use a family heirloom as an engagement ring. i hope you will come back and share pictures!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
It sounds just lovely and truly priceless. How exciting!! Please come back with pictures and let us know what happens!

squeaksluv

Shiny_Rock
The ring sounds so beautiful and how romantic that you''ll propose to her with that ring!! I can''t wait to see pictures of that bling!!!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Good heavens, that sounds like a simply wonderful ring. The torture of waiting for pics my heart could have done without.
2.gif
Congrats on your upcoming proposal, and do keep us posted.

Shay

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I just love antique jewelry, and your GF is going to flip when she realizes that you''re proposing with her great grandma''s engagement ring!!! I can''t wait to see pics and hear about the proposal when it happens!

Congratulations in advance.
36.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
What an amazing thing for her parents to offer- I think heirloom stones and rings make fantastic e-rings!!! (It''s the perfect argument for holding onto jewelry for future generations) Your GF will be moved to tears when she sees you with that ring in hand...swoon
1.gif

It sounds wonderful and can''t wait to see photos!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results