shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique emerald vs regular emerald?

Jelly88

Rough_Rock
I’m thinking about getting my first antique cut stone. All my current stones are modern cuts. I understand and can easily see the difference between antique rounds/cushions and modern rounds/cushions, but how is an antique emerald different from a regular emerald? I feel like they look very similar?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love stepcuts :) but I have to say I'm not entirely clear myself on the exact differences... :lol: lol

Antique cuts can often have a culet, which modern cuts do not, I know that much.

Perhaps it's fair to say that antique cuts are cut more for beauty at all angles than light return??

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It usually has an open culet.

Let me see if I can dig up some pictures.

Edit...I'm having problems snipping right now due to my wacked out mouse. Look at this stone that
@arkieb1 posted. You can see it has a large culet.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-12-antique-emerald-cut-diamond-for-sale.245284/

Vs. the ones on JA that have no culet
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.70-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-4709513

So not a big difference for Emeralds IMO. Maybe others can comment on differences they see.

Last edited:

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Useful thread:

I'm not sure that there really is an antique emerald cut the way there are antique RB (OEC) because antique stones vary so much. But this one has more steps, which means a smaller table, and instead of the usual tent-shaped pavilion it tapers almost to a point which was finished off by a rectangular culet.

It is more like an Asscher or the Octavia than what most people think of as emeralds.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd suggest that an Asscher cut is somewhat more "antique" style in cut than a conventional emerald cut. Having a faceted culet rather than a pointed culet, a somewhat smaller than modern table, and a higher crown angle and crown percentage, all would play well with the look of being "antique". The other alternative is a Table cut, truly an antique cut, but not to everyone's taste in appearance or light performance.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The existence of open culet is not enough to call one diamond "antique"!
Features that you have to look for antique emerald cut:
- an open, centered culet
- higher crown with more number of step facets
- smaller table
- big chunky cut corners that gives the emerald more "ascher" view

Here is great example of antique emerald cut:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPVMZ6dgLmk/

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The existence of open culet is not enough to call one diamond "antique"!
Features that you have to look for antique emerald cut:
- an open, centered culet
- higher crown with more number of step facets
- smaller table
- big chunky cut corners that gives the emerald more "ascher" view/

I did not say an faceted culet makes an emerald cut an antique. I said such a feature "would play well with the look of being "antique". Then you go one to basically say what I said. I'm not sure if you are disagreeing in some way or are having some problem with writing out what you mean to express.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@oldminer
In my comment I wasn't referring your statement. I just observe that some people call emerald cut diamonds "antique" just because there is open culet, which is wrong.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results