shape
carat
color
clarity

antique e-ring help/opinions

kelizt

Rough_Rock
Hi all!
I'm a first time poster here, but other threads have been so informative I hope you guys can help out with some opinions :) First posted on the vintage forum, but then realized that this one is much more active, so apologies for the delete/repost.

I've always wanted a vintage engagement ring, and my BF wants me to pick out exactly what I want (exciting!). The main challenge is budget--he hasn't been specific, and he says he wants to buy me whatever I want within reason (read: under 5 or 6k) but I know a far more reasonable budget is under 3k or, ideally, under 2k. It's much more important to me to be respectful of his finances than to stretch the budget; I just could never feel good knowing that it was a strain for him to buy something for me.

Anyway, all that aside, I did find a ring I really like very much in budget. He ordered it, and the plan is to take it to a jeweler who knows vintage jewelry immediately after it arrives since it's under the Ruby Lane 3 day return policy (and it'll need to go down a size anyway if we decide to keep it). We live in the Bay Area so we're lucky enough to have a few knowledgeable jewelers around. That said, I've worried about it pretty much endlessly since we actually ordered it :doh: --I think it looks authentic and approximately like what's described--but I seriously cannot stop worrying that it's somehow a scam, or it's been misrepresented or whatever.

Is the price too good to be true? Does it look like it's being faithfully represented? Am I being paranoid?
Conversely, if you think we should put it right back in the mail the second it arrives, where would you look for early 20th c. jewelry (especially featuring European or Old Mine cuts) under 3k?

Link to the Ruby Lane posting.

Thank you for reading my epic of ring anxiety!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see any red flags, and the price seems comparable to ebay "buy it now" options for similar diamond/setting combinations.

It does look like one of the shoulders was repaired at one point and not fully restored to its original condition - I'm looking at the fifth picture down, the right side shoulder. I own an older style ring with a similar repair job. I just live with it because it's a fairly small/inexpensive overall ring and it's not worth it to me to have it repaired properly, but... it isn't my e-ring.

kelizt

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the opinion and reassurance, VRB--I was wondering what exactly was going on with that shoulder (originally I thought maybe wear). I'm thinking an Lang or similar might be able to recommend someone to touch up the milgrain on it, and certainly the engraving on the shank. I'll have to see how much it bothers me in person. Fortunately since it's under budget, some money is left over for restoration etc.
I suspect it won't be possible to find a completely perfect condition around $2k, approx. .5 carat+ old mine/Euro cut ring in a pre mid century setting, and it's a question of compromise somewhere, and I just really enjoy the design of that one... just so long as we're not getting scammed :)
The ring and budget are much more modest than what a lot of people here have, but we're trying to do the best we can with what we have.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kelizt

Rough_Rock
How cool, thank you!!
I think the high price of comparable items at stores like Lang skewed my expectations (but of course there you're paying for their expertise and vetting--which is, to be fair, very valuable--as well as San Francisco rent etc.).

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I would recommend calling this vendor. The proprietors name is Katie and she has a great eye for reasonably priced vintage jewelry. She's right by my office and I go into her shop often. Her website leaves a lot to be desired, but if you call her she can give you some options and send you pictures. (For what it's worth I've purchased jewelry from single stone, trumpet and horn and erstwhile).

https://www.facebook.com/Rambling-Rose-Estate-Jewelry-115445685146239/timeline/

One last thing have you considered a colored stone? I have a rubelite cluster ring that I got from Erstwhile that I often wear instead of my engagement ring and always gets tons of compliments.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Hello kelizt! I just found your thread, but wanted to give you my suggestions too in case you are still looking for a ring. I have had great experiences with GoldAdore and Addy's Vintage at etsy. Their prices are reasonable too. GoldAdore is in CA and offers layaway (if needed) and Addy's Vintage is in London. Also, the seller estate1920 on eBay has some nice inventory and I have bought from them too and used "best offer." Good luck on your search or congrats if you have found your ring.

All prior suggestions were great too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results