shape
carat
color
clarity

antique diamond ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I recently saw what I believe to be a small omc diamond in an antique store. Strange thing is, the setting was very tarnished, like silver, and lightweight. I can''t imagine anyone would have set a diamond in a silver setting, but could that have been possible? The only stamp inside looked like a solid triangle, but that could have been a solder mark from being sized.
The reason I believe the diamond to be genuine was the fact that it was somewhat off color and the pattern was definately omc. Unless they made omc fakes back then?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds were often set in silver circa late 18th-early 20th century. You may see "silver topped" gold where the diamond was set in silver with gold used for the shank (in a ring) or large necklaces with the diamonds set in silver and the colored stones set in gold.

As far as the pattern of the stone being omc--this was the brilliant cut of that period, and several different diamond simulants were cut into that shape--from glass to synthetic spinel.

Do you have a pic?

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
hmmmm, no pic. I didn''t think to take a pic.
It was priced $280 but it was negotiable. One of those places where it was on consignment so the owner didn''t know anything about the ring at all except what little info. was on the tag. It didn''t even state the diamond weight, although I would guess maybe .20 or something. It was quite cute.
Simple band really, with three arms sort of going out to the diamond. Fairly plain.
I wonder now if maybe it was a simulant?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I have seen many jewelry pieces from the 19th century and earlier with OMC stimulants. Check out this thread, especially the gems in the three little pins (one a gold hand). Not only are they old mine cuts, complete with culets, but they have frosted girdles. I think they''re probably lead glass or rock crystal.

That''s not to say the ring you saw isn''t a diamond. It could well be. Diamonds were generally set in silver before they invented white gold around World War I.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results