shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique diamond fans - OMC 1.73 J VS1

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
All -

We're ering shopping with mostly oval solitaires, but while my soon-to-be-fiancé was out of town, I accidentally saw this OMC (1.73 carats J VS1) in a 1930s setting.

This is totally not what we had in mind, and my soon-to-be-fiancé is not sold on an antique stone (especially since he can't see it in person - the ring was at a travelling gem show this weekend and the vendor is out of state for us). But there was something really charming and lovely about it. I absolutely understand why these older stones have developed such a fan base. We're waiting on ASETs for modern ovals from GOG next week, but I went to the gem show anyway because...why not.

I know basically nothing about OMC, but this one seemed to have a lot of life, very symmetrical/centered culet, and seemed decently priced ($12k including white gold setting, though we'd probably reset into platinum). Thoughts from any antique stone fans?

https://youtu.be/qHnvzsl11nI
https://youtu.be/MY11V6q-q-Q

(I know, phone's camera sucked. This whole encounter was unexpected)

2015-10-24_16.jpg

2015-10-24_16_1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who graded the stone?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really don't care for it from the photos. It has a pretty distinct fish eye imo. I'd keep looking...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trailblazer...I can see why you might fall for an old cut. Ovals
Have a romantic feel to me. A similar feel I get with old stones.

Addressing this particular stone, it seems to be dark in the middle
(Under the table). I wish you had a video of it outside. I don't expect old stones to be perfect, but for an engagement ring you want bright
(I'm not talking color) with lots of fire.

My advice is to look at some old stones and see if you might be interested. I would start at jewels by grace and love affair diamonds.
They have good pictures and videos of their stones. You can also try Old Word Diamonds under the Our Favorites heart on the diamond page. Pay more attention to the mm of the stone then the weight because the same weight can vary greatly in size. One more comment,
Whereas ovals face up large for their weight, old stones face up smaller due to their deeper depth.

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. Youre right, Tyty33, these old stones have the same romantic thing going for them as ovals but without the bowtie :)

I wish I could have taken it outside too - that black under the table I think was my phone case, but it's difficult to judge because it's the only OMC I've ever seen IRL. I'm familiar with Jewels by Grace, Love Affair Diamonds and OWD - just had never seen an old cut in person and didn't realize how much I'd like them.

The only stone I found that seemed similar was this:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-...ue-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-i-si1#.Vizp6o4o5Ds

But that inclusion right next to the culet... seems bothersome. I'll do some more hunting at estate stores in Dallas when soon to be fiance returns.

Boo247

Rough_Rock
I totally understand what's just happened to you.

Before we went diamond shopping, all I knew was that I liked cushions. Luckily for me my darling FI did a load of research and with the help of the experts here. He did lots of online searches and very nearly bought 2 different diamonds on 2 occasions to have set as a solitaire in a plain prong setting which was my 'dream' setting so I thought.

I was trying to explain how the diamonds online "were not chunky" as I love. He somehow figured out it was the old cuts that made my heart go pitter patter, even though I had no clue at that point about old/modern cuts. then there was no looking back.

He found a fabulous ring (well I think so!) through an antique diamond dealer and did a deal. I just love the pillowy shape of these old cuts and high crown. We also ended up falling in love with the antique setting that the diamond was in with hearts around it. Something I never thought I'd end up with! The side baguettes were a bonus.

So I think now you've seen that ring, even though it's not quite right, you're on a great journey!

I do like jewels by grace a lot and often go to have an oogle at what's in her Facebook page.

I don't know where you're based but we've noticed that towns that are popular retirement places tend to have more old cuts available than the trendy cities where moderns are the norm.

Do tell us what you find won't you?

_35030.jpg

_35031.jpg

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
Boo, thanks for sharing your story and incredible ring!! That is a stunner. I know exactly what you mean by wanting the chunky fire instead of splintery. Your ring is beautiful.

May I ask who your dealer was? We are in Texas and looking for dealers here but there's not too many who have stones over 1 carat.

It's funny because I really, really don't like modern cushions, but those antique cuts are magnificent.

Boo247

Rough_Rock
We are in the UK.http://www.fineantiquediamonds.co.uk/20ed15/
She does ship abroad though but you might want to see your diamond in person. Not everything she has is on her site so worth contacting her. Interestly we found that diamonds are a lot cheaper in USA compared to UK, but this wasn't the case so much for the old cuts.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other old stone dealer that I can think of is mydiamondzone on ebay. He is a store in Chicago. A few years ago a few PSers
went and tried on lots of old lovely pieces of jewelry and posted pictures. He does do videos but they are hard to tell anything
from (IMO) but you might want to talk to him. They have a 14 day return policy so if something doesn't turn out to be what you
expect...you send it back.
Here is a link to one of his ebay stones. Not a cushion though. You might call him and see what he has. I also understand that
Adam at OWD has more stones then he has posted so you might want to talk to him also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-77ct-I-VS2-VINTAGE-OLD-EUROPEAN-CUT-DIAMOND-EGL-USA-CERTIFIED-LOOSE-MINER-/171979250577?hash=item280ac31b91:g:a6IAAOSwAYtWGsSg

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
Update: My sweet fiancé-to-be got so excited about the 1.6 OMC that he just bought it for us to look at in person! I'll post pictures as soon as we get it!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
I live about 3 hrs away from Dallas, TX and there is a jewelry store here that I use for repairs that sells modern, estate and antique/vintage jewelry. I do hope to buy and use their custom services one day. I only found out about them earlier this year and used them to fix an issue I had with a repair from another local modern only jewelry store. Their website is ok, but gives you an idea of what they stock. The site is http://abercrombiegems.com and you can contact them if your stone does not work out, if interested. I love working with Grace from Jewels by Grace too, so you are in great hands there. Good luck on your search! I hope you find your stone soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results