shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique cushion cut

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you'll get more answers if you post this over in RockyTalky - click Report Concern and ask the moderators to move it.
Re the ring/diamond, it's got a lovely faceting pattern and it would seem to be a good deal for that size stone. Can you buy it conditional on it being graded by AGS or GIA and negotiate if it's not what they say?

theladyfifi

Rough_Rock
Thanks foxinsox. Any advice on what I should be looking for in an antique cushion cut stone, I would love to hear.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
theladyfifi said:
Thanks foxinsox. Any advice on what I should be looking for in an antique cushion cut stone, I would love to hear.

Well, I am no expert, but I hope someone will chime in soon. In the meantime, I have found several very helpful post re what to look for in a cushion cut by simply searching PS. Here is one helpful thread, but there are many: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-cut-help-request-w-pictures.170097/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-cut-help-request-w-pictures.170097/page-2[/URL]

I think the ring and stone in your link look beautiful, but I think you will have to see it IRL to really know. Maybe they have a good return policy?

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
theladyfifi|1459152121|4011952 said:
...Any advice on what I should be looking for in an antique cushion cut stone, I would love to hear.

Hi :wavey:
I LOVE the look of these stones! ...but I should also say that I'm also not an expert regarding this cut.
There is certainly no right/wrong parameters for an antique cushion - either you like the aesthetics of a stone or you don't...but here are a few things you might want to look for in an antique cushion cut stone:
Antique cushions can vary allot more than other cuts when it comes to proportions
They often have non-symmetrical facets
Generally have larger culets
Generally have short star facets
Generally have shorter lower girdle facets, which cause the pavilion main facets to be wide/fat, which tend to return light in blocky or chunky patterns.
Have a pretty steep higher crown compared to most other shapes - tend to have crown angle of more than 40 degrees.
Generally have smaller tables (equal to or less than 53% if my memory is working :think: - someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Hope this helps

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it eye clean or just dirty in their magnified pics? I think it's just dirt but it's hard to tell.... Side on does it have a chip or chunk out of the girdle or a bruted girdle I can see something uneven/frosty about the girdle in the side on pic. Can you get it verified at a valuer in the drop down list above for colour and clarity or does it come with a GIA or EGL USA certificate verifying everything because a lot of vendors tend to overestimate both colour and clarity IMHO.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can do better.

theladyfifi

Rough_Rock
arkieb1 - thank you for your advice. I also noticed what looks like a chip. Difficult to tell on a photo though. It doesn't say that is comes with a certificate and I am in the uk so can't use the verifier drop down. It does state that colour and clarity are approximate. I have spent months looking for a vintage stone, either Asscher or cushion but feel like I will never find the one! :((

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results