shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Aquamarine Ring with 43 Gram 14K Necklace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

I went to Mom''s to vacuum (my dear MIL) and she gifted me with this 13x8 mm 10k white gold vintage ring from her mother. My husband remembers Grandma wearing this ring! How cool is that? I am not sure it is a real aquamarine. It is a very clear blue with no scratches but a chip by one prong. And she gave me a 14k stamped made in Italy 43 gm gold necklace! She had it tested and weighed at Jareds years ago and remembers the stats. I just love her! She says I have the ahem "bosom" to wear such a necklace and thought I should have it. Wow!!!!!!!! She also has a marquise shape diamond ring setting from her first husband (hubby''s dad) missing the main diamond. It is about a 5 x3 stone. I took the setting and am on the hunt to get a diamond for the center. Poor mom is a widow twice over and I can''t wait to get the ring complete again. Here is a quick pick and if anyone has any thoughts on the ring I am all ears.

Regards,
Lisa

kismya.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Can I go vacuum at your Mom''s next time? Pleeeaaase
9.gif

Nice of you to make sure her ring gets a diamond again.

As to your new ring I don''t know what to suggest. Because of a lovely story and the fact that you know who the previous owners were, I wouldn''t touch it and just have it as an antique piece. But if you''re sure about changing it...

Is that a marquise or a very elongated oval - can''t seem to figure out from the photo? Either way, I think your fingers could pull of an east-west setting in a substantial ring (maybe a domed shank with pave diamonds or something). Setting it like that would also do a better job protecting the more sensitive parts of the stone. I''d stay away from any yellow or rose gold and make sure eventual other stones are either white or light blue.

Good luck!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 5:23:50 AM
Author: ma re
Can I go vacuum at your Mom''s next time? Pleeeaaase
9.gif

Nice of you to make sure her ring gets a diamond again.

As to your new ring I don''t know what to suggest. Because of a lovely story and the fact that you know who the previous owners were, I wouldn''t touch it and just have it as an antique piece. But if you''re sure about changing it...

Is that a marquise or a very elongated oval - can''t seem to figure out from the photo? Either way, I think your fingers could pull of an east-west setting in a substantial ring (maybe a domed shank with pave diamonds or something). Setting it like that would also do a better job protecting the more sensitive parts of the stone. I''d stay away from any yellow or rose gold and make sure eventual other stones are either white or light blue.

Good luck!
No kidding, LOL! I''ll come vacuum!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful gift.
1.gif
I''d leave as it is as I am sometimes terribly sentimental.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Wait...the photo is of the aqua and the necklace, and the ring that you're looking for a replacement stone for is not pictured? Are you wanting to replace the missing center stone with a colored stone then?

ETA: I love the ring, but really like the necklace, too! Can you post a neck shot?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
What great gifts and how wonderful you have such a great relationship with your MIL!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results