shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique and Vintage collection thread- elizat

elizat

Ideal_Rock
As requested, I'm going to start a thread to show some pieces off.

I'll start with a little background. I have only been buying antique items for about 10 years now. Really before that was college, law school and then working, but not making very much at all when all the bills were paid initially.

Most of my jewelry before I started buying antique items was either purchased for me by mom at either mall stores or jewelry stores and was mass market cast items. I still have a lot- most- of the things she bought for keepsake purposes. I have a pearl ring with tiny diamonds I wanted when I was 16 so very badly, which was probably too expensive at the time for her, but she bought it anyway. It was from JCPenney's jewelry case and I still have it.

Around 2008- 2011, I started to get drawn into filigree items. I was buying mass market filigree items that were usually sterling silver. I have a pair of those earrings on my almost free thread. I did some research and decided that I wanted something that was actually old. I went from not having anything that was really of any age to reading blogs about antique jewelry, ordering books and even eventually attending shows. I actually love the NYC antique jewelry show that is in October and July. I usually try to go to both and make it a three day weekend. Covid has disrupted the last couple, obviously.

My first purchase, I no longer have. But, I did find an old screen shot of it. It is admittedly a terrible screenshot.

Screenshot_20210211-083601.jpg

At the time, $450 was a TON of money for me to spend. I wore that ring a lot. It was beautiful. Dainty, airy, and well preserved filigree in platinum. It was rarely worn because the wheat engraving on the band was still in nice shape and only had started to wear at the very back. She had been treated gently. It had floral or tulip shaped filigree in the body of the ring with tiny single cuts. It was a really beautiful ring.

I eventually sold it when I did a large consignment a few years back. I got into the habit of buying things I knew were undervalued and snapping them up, even if I didn't love them. I ended up with a lot of good buys, but it was haphazard and I did not actually really *love* a lot of it.

I probably should have kept it. But, it didn't get worn anymore.

That ring was my entry into the world of antique. Since then, I'd say almost everything I have is antique or has antique components (stones, settings and design elements if new). I don't mind new settings that are true to the time period with antique stones or items. I'll include some of those here too.

My plan is to talk a bit about some individual pieces and share photos. Maybe others will start their own threads too!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Can’t wait to see your pieces. I do love the story of how you got started.

BTW just a suggestion but you might want to put your name in the title so that we know the thread is yours :)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Can’t wait to see your pieces. I do love the story of how you got started.

BTW just a suggestion but you might want to put your name in the title so that we know the thread is yours :)

I will request that addition. Good idea!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
First up! These are really excellent for daily wear.

These are petite, but really pretty. Victorian, with wonky rose cuts that are actually not very tinted at all and not very included either. Quite white for rosies. They are yellow gold, topped with platinum. They are only about a half inch drop from top to bottom. They are open backed as well, So they are much easier to wear and clean. They are probably about .80 ctw. I prefer these to a traditional stud earring.

I would love a larger pair like this, but finding one is a challenge. I also will not part with this pair, because I could not replace them for what I paid. Even after a few rounds of culling, I always decided that these would be a permanent part, because of the rarity factor and the cost issue. Victorian earrings are getting harder and harder to find that are actually in wearable condition.

PXL_20210211_151358805.jpg PXL_20210211_150652936_20210211101321971.jpg PXL_20210211_150645066.jpg image.jpeg

Attachments

• PXL_20210211_150012221.jpg
    PXL_20210211_150012221.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to this thread!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
My plan is to post a new something every other day/few days or so. We will see how it goes! :)

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Ooohh, I will eagerly await every new post on here, @elizat!
Your collection (from what I‘ve seen thus far in various posts) is
sublime❤️

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@elizat really lovely earrings! I’m excited to see more of your collection :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
edited by moderator

First of all, this is Elizat’s thread to share her collection, so your post does not belong in this thread. Additionally if you are “trade” then it is against PS rules to advertise your products for sale on the forum. I have reported this post for removal.

Last edited by a moderator:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay Elizat! Looking forward to all the eye candy and stories! You have such awesome pieces!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Is fancy earring Friday a thing? Maybe it is now?

I have a huge pull for antique cluster earrings. This is a yellow gold Victorian pair with a really neat built in bar in the back that lets the earrings move seamlessly. My mom likes these and says she thinks these should be referred to as ear bobs instead of earrings because of how much they move.

These are from Lenore Dailey. She was such a pleasure to buy from and learn. I remember she would do Instagram lives, early on and videos and you really learned from her. You could also buy something that was Georgian or Victorian and not worry it was authentic. Lenore was a lovely person. These are a pair that will stay in my collection.

They have a mix of diamonds in these. There are some that I would classify as small old miners, some are rose cuts, and some straddle between the two somewhere. There are some very high crowns on most of these stones and while nothing in these is exactly the same, they all work together.

The setting reminds me of a crown and has a lot of pretty detail work. (Ignore the cat hair. It's impossible to have a lint free photo at my house).

PXL_20210212_191145531.jpg PXL_20210212_191117611.jpg PXL_20210212_185950192.jpg PXL_20210212_185919506.jpg PXL_20210212_185613092.jpg PXL_20210212_191255783.jpg PXL_20210212_191804105.jpg

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Following :)! I love those earrings and can’t wait to see more!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock

I have a huge pull for antique cluster earrings. This is a yellow gold Victorian pair with a really neat built in bar in the back that lets the earrings move seamlessly. My mom likes these and says she thinks these should be referred to as ear bobs instead of earrings because of how much they move.

These are from Lenore Dailey. She was such a pleasure to buy from and learn. I remember she would do Instagram lives, early on and videos and you really learned from her. You could also buy something that was Georgian or Victorian and not worry it was authentic. Lenore was a lovely person. These are a pair that will stay in my collection.

They have a mix of diamonds in these. There are some that I would classify as small old miners, some are rose cuts, and some straddle between the two somewhere. There are some very high crowns on most of these stones and while nothing in these is exactly the same, they all work together.

The setting reminds me of a crown and has a lot of pretty detail work. (Ignore the cat hair. It's impossible to have a lint free photo at my house).

PXL_20210212_191145531.jpg PXL_20210212_191117611.jpg PXL_20210212_185950192.jpg PXL_20210212_185919506.jpg PXL_20210212_185613092.jpg PXL_20210212_191255783.jpg PXL_20210212_191804105.jpg

These look divine on you, @elizat! You’re making me miss the ones I just sold :(( My only consolation was they were scooped up by a warm and really lovely PSer❤️
Can‘t wait to see more from your collection!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
These look divine on you, @elizat! You’re making me miss the ones I just sold :(( My only consolation was they were scooped up by a warm and really lovely PSer❤️
Can‘t wait to see more from your collection!

If I had not purchased something else, I probably would have bought them! They were really good!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooooooo
love these types of threads.
There is just something magical about antique jewellery. You can really appreciate the workmanship and you know, due to the expense of such pieces, that they were always well loved.
love the stories behind the acquisition of special pieces, especially those handed down or with important memories attached.
Ill have to start a thread myself!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Oh these are just beautiful! I really love them!

DeCru Jewelry

Rough_Rock
Trade
First of all, this is Elizat’s thread to share her collection, so your post does not belong in this thread. Additionally if you are “trade” then it is against PS rules to advertise your products for sale on the forum. I have reported this post for removal.
Hey I understand your concern and I appreciate you being honest with me. I'm new to the site as I just got an account today so I don't fully understand the guidelines, but I would be happy to remove the post showing the ring idea but for some reason I cannot find where to remove it. If Elizat would like to remove the post that would be great too. I was genuinely trying to learn the ropes of the Jewelry business and get an opinion on an idea. There is a clear reason for why I did not plug in my shop link. Also at the moment my brand is no where near scaled enough to be a threatening rival so there is no need to be concerned. I simply thought it could add to the discussion by mentioning the vintage spoon rings idea. As mentioned in the original post I made, I credited Elizat for her amazing work and by no means want to take away from that. Anyways, have a great day.

Last edited:

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock
Your jewels are amazing @elizat can't wait to see more of your collection.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:swoon: :love: hubba hubba
Bow-chickka-bow-wow
TWO gorgeous pair so far!
Soooo glad you are doing an @elizat collection thread.
It’ll be hard to wait for installments - but can appreciate and enjoy the anticipation in these days of instant gratification!
Educational and personal, and good storytelling to boot
Thank you!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Following :)! I love those earrings and can’t wait to see more!

These ones are really pretty. I have always liked them. Plus, buying from Lenore was something that was always educational too. She'd let you try on whatever you wanted as well and was so friendly!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Ooooooooo
love these types of threads.
There is just something magical about antique jewellery. You can really appreciate the workmanship and you know, due to the expense of such pieces, that they were always well loved.
love the stories behind the acquisition of special pieces, especially those handed down or with important memories attached.
Ill have to start a thread myself!

You should! I think a lot of people have a pretty clear aesthetic. I know that @yssie has commented on mine regarding that. I think mine does have some out of place items that are more modern, but those tend to be outliers and more artsy/floofy thinks like the pearl jewelry by Little H or locks by Marla Aaron. Though, the Marla Aaron locks could be argued to be something that fits in and I actually think they do.

I agree - there is something special to the pieces. I wish they could talk and tell us the stories. I love earrings and I always think it is a bit of a wonder that earrings that are over 100 years old managed to stay together. That's why I tend to think I hoard earrings too. That, and they fit no matter what, humidity, weight gain, etc.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Oh these are just beautiful! I really love them!

Thank you! They were one of my first purchases from the NYC Antique Jewelry Show. Pre-Covid, I would usually try to go to both fall and summer. It's a smaller show, so you can talk to the vendors a lot more than giant shows, like Miami.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@HollyC thank you! They are a really pretty pair. Super wearable as well!

@Rfisher aw, thanks! It's kind of nice to get the items out and clean them up and take photos. I have things that I really like, but don't get worn much. This is giving me a chance to visit them again. As a result, I wore these earrings to the post office and to get takeaway BBQ today! :lol:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Following!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat, I'm looking forward to seeing your collection! You are off to a great start. Both pairs of earrings are really beautiful. I have been wanting antique earrings for a while now and I would love to find something similar to the first pair you posted.

I'm staying tuned lol!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Next up- another pair of cluster earrings! These are old earrings that had a lot of life before me. Solidly Victorian and not sure exactly when they would have been made but I feel like they are a heck of a lot older than some other Victorian earrings I have in my collection.

I'm not sure what the center stone of these is, it could be paste or it could be some type of synthetic stone. It could be something that is real, but I really don't know. For what I paid, I am happy either way ($300).

The rose cut diamonds on these are really rustic. I would almost call them more table cuts than rose cuts. The diamonds have chips, a crack here and there and shockingly, are all still there! They have a bunch of teeny tiny prongs on the center stones. The gold on these is a rosy colored gold.

I have never had these tested or examined by anyone, mainly because the price point didn't justify it. My biggest tip to anyone going to an antique show is to ask to look through the trays that they have.

I found these by digging through trays from a vendor at the New York show and none of these items were tagged or examined by the vendor, which is pretty common. A lot of times the trays are simply where they put excess stuff that they really didn't have the time to deal with and that is where you can find a lot of the really good buys.

Seriously, one of my favorite things to do when I go to those shows is not to look in the cases but to build a rapport with the vendor by looking at some things and the cases and then asking if they have anything in trays that's available to look at for purchase.

These earrings are actually really wearable! They also have a very pretty setting, with nice almost lattice work like gallery metal. They are kind of moody looking with the aged metal, rustic diamonds and the overall style.

PXL_20210213_173717669.jpg PXL_20210213_173649758.jpg PXL_20210213_173443167_20210213124334493.jpg PXL_20210213_173443167.jpg PXL_20210213_173544080.jpg PXL_20210213_173819583.jpg

PXL_20210213_175649579.jpg PXL_20210213_175714845.jpg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@elizat, I'm looking forward to seeing your collection! You are off to a great start. Both pairs of earrings are really beautiful. I have been wanting antique earrings for a while now and I would love to find something similar to the first pair you posted.

I'm staying tuned lol!

Thanks for stopping by and thanks! I see a lot of earrings that have a ton more metal than stone presence in that style now. If I find a good pair though, I will drop a link for you!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next up- another pair of cluster earrings! These are old earrings that had a lot of life before me. Solidly Victorian and not sure exactly when they would have been made but I feel like they are a heck of a lot older than some other Victorian earrings I have in my collection.

I'm not sure what the center stone of these is, it could be paste or it could be some type of synthetic stone. It could be something that is real, but I really don't know. For what I paid, I am happy either way ($300).

The rose cut diamonds on these are really rustic. I would almost call them more table cuts than rose cuts. The diamonds have chips, a crack here and there and shockingly, are all still there! They have a bunch of teeny tiny prongs on the center stones. The gold on these is a rosy colored gold.

I have never had these tested or examined by anyone, mainly because the price point didn't justify it. My biggest tip to anyone going to an antique show is to ask to look through the trays that they have.

I found these by digging through trays from a vendor at the New York show and none of these items were tagged or examined by the vendor, which is pretty common. A lot of times the trays are simply where they put excess stuff that they really didn't have the time to deal with and that is where you can find a lot of the really good buys.

Seriously, one of my favorite things to do when I go to those shows is not to look in the cases but to build a rapport with the vendor by looking at some things and the cases and then asking if they have anything in trays that's available to look at for purchase.

These earrings are actually really wearable! They also have a very pretty setting, with nice almost lattice work like gallery metal. They are kind of moody looking with the aged metal, rustic diamonds and the overall style.

PXL_20210213_173717669.jpg PXL_20210213_173649758.jpg PXL_20210213_173443167_20210213124334493.jpg PXL_20210213_173443167.jpg PXL_20210213_173544080.jpg PXL_20210213_173819583.jpg

PXL_20210213_175649579.jpg PXL_20210213_175714845.jpg

Yes, let me know if you find anything!

These earrings are beautiful! :love: The settings are so pretty. My gosh, what a find! Love the story of how you found them, it's like finding hidden treasure lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results