shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique 8ct. Ceylon blue sapphire ring. Meet Elena, aka my mini “Blue Blob”

L

lydial

@lydial Thank You! Yes, I’d be devastated to lose the stone! I am not freaked out, it feels very secure and I keep a close eye on any sign of the stone having movement. None at present.
That being said it would be prudent to have it checked by someone experienced in antique jewelry rehab. so that I never have to worry about it. There will have to be a high level of trust. If I sent it to someone like cjd_sako (his IG name) maybe I’d feel comfortable.
The thought of mailing it away makes me nervous, but it may be necessary. The appraiser may be able to recommend someone local.
Once things are back in motion, I will get someone to take a look.
Thanks for looking out for me and Elena!

I saw you posting about PA, I live in DE and there is a jeweler called Continental Jewelers that has a reliable bench in house that can work on antiques. They sell new and vintage jewelry. I trust them. Just in case you need a local:) Not sure when They are reopening.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I saw you posting about PA, I live in DE and there is a jeweler called Continental Jewelers that has a reliable bench in house that can work on antiques. They sell new and vintage jewelry. I trust them. Just in case you need a local:) Not sure when They are reopening.

@lydial Thank you! I’m in NJ, so DE would be in easy reach. I’ll make a note of them. Thanks for the recommendation!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
If the ring ever needs work, I can vouch for Sako. He is very good.

@elizat Great to know from someone who’s worked with him. Everything I’ve seen of his has led me to think he is very skilled. Thank you!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Daisys and Diamonds!
Wasn’t familiar with that person, but I think I know what you mean lol, her ruby cushion is similar size and shape
Happy to share if I can add a photo here!
We got it at one of the jewelry stalls in Portobello Market. It has London/Birmingham marks. AB833309-4DE0-48FE-B74D-6952E4AA106A.jpeg

My favorite shade of blue

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
Holy mother of sapphire! Elena is beautiful!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm speechless. This stone and ring take my breath away. You were right to trust your instincts and claim this beauty as your own! WOW.

PS -- I enjoyed reading your story so very much. It was a welcome reminder that there is still love and light in the world. Also, are/were you a professional writer? You write so beautifully.

itskcc

Rough_Rock
OMG, that color is perfection. Beautiful find!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you went for it! It is beautiful and was meant to be!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I'm speechless. This stone and ring take my breath away. You were right to trust your instincts and claim this beauty as your own! WOW.

PS -- I enjoyed reading your story so very much. It was a welcome reminder that there is still love and light in the world. Also, are/were you a professional writer? You write so beautifully.

@KristyDarling Thank you!! So sweet of you!!
I do feel like I stumbled onto a rare treasure! Glad Elena waited for me!!
Thank you for the kind compliment on my writing.

No, I’m not professional. That is a great compliment because I started out in college as an English major, dreaming I might one day become one. But I got discouraged and switched to biology, thereby sentencing myself to heaps of hard science courses.
I was a bit out of my comfort zone.
English and Art classes became my salvation.
I rallied and made a career out of science. Maybe in the end I came out a little more balanced lol

The truth is I think I just have a strong imagination, am highly sentimental and easily find meaning in joyful and difficult passages.
I do enjoy writing when I feel inspired to do so.

Jewelry and other beautiful things, particularly those made by hand definitely inspire me!!
I feel I’m carrying something of the artist with and in me. I don’t know where I’d be without my sense of wonder. It buoys me, especially in difficult times.

My husband is a writer though and we wrote to each other for more than two months before ever meeting or talking on the phone.
I think we both process our environment and experience in that way. It’s a very romantic way to get to know someone.
When we finally met, we pretty much had gotten to the core of who each other was in all the important ways
I do feel like I lived and am living a great love story. Both of us are pretty sure our spouses pulled some strings up in heaven.
At our wedding ceremony last September, we honored our spouses. Our grown children each lit candles in memory of their parents and then joined it in a single candle. It was a tender moment and an important one to all of us. Thank you for bringing those sweet memories to the surface and for appreciating the story.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I spent some time in the garden today after a heavy rain. Still planting flowers that my children got me for Mother’s Day.
They got a lot!
Everything was so vibrant, I was inspired to take some photos of Elena. I think she holds her own in the midst of all that beauty.
D8C2E75A-82D6-4444-A288-DF0878BE3079.jpeg
635DD5BA-D91E-4204-BAEE-FC14381CCC6B.jpeg
554A25F1-0412-4B96-98BA-C2A5E0292BED.jpeg
191FD9AA-6FBD-4B31-A915-801278B14DC3.jpeg
B6641E9A-34E9-4CBC-A726-35CD6312F9EF.jpeg
E0F24B0C-0ED5-4CCB-906E-CBA035A35E81.jpeg
135AA698-9A6B-4FBD-B105-69583ACEED02.jpeg
2F7A830F-A0CA-4B1E-8ED1-B5C8B4B1BE8A.jpeg
30B38D8D-7D42-4714-BB00-883B2BFF322F.jpeg
4E2A14BA-2A94-4841-A979-68886099FFFF.jpeg
4E03565A-C1B2-4FA7-9C4F-85BE847AA6C0.jpeg

this is my avatar photo, which I hadn’t posted yet..
FA1449CE-20C4-42F0-8450-0506917914A7.jpeg

Attachments

• 75549BFD-BC37-44CF-A825-A44F6DE538AA.jpeg
    75549BFD-BC37-44CF-A825-A44F6DE538AA.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 3BA9744A-6349-4AE7-8801-64C5A23A14D2.jpeg
    3BA9744A-6349-4AE7-8801-64C5A23A14D2.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 16

voce

Ideal_Rock
Lol it just occurred to me you could create a calendar with all the gorgeous photos you've taken of this ring!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Lol it just occurred to me you could create a calendar with all the gorgeous photos you've taken of this ring!

@voce thank you! Elena, a calendar girl, would be a first I think!

H

Horsegirl76

I keep coming back to this thread to admire that stone. So incredibly beautiful! It sounds as though it could not have gone to a more deserving person too :)

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I keep coming back to this thread to admire that stone. So incredibly beautiful! It sounds as though it could not have gone to a more deserving person too :)

@Horsegirl76 That’s so kind of you to say. Truly. She is a special one. Thank you so much=)2

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just for reference the “mini blue blob” nickname was a take on a large brooch from the Antiques Road Show UK, which the owners called the Big Blue Blob.
That one was 25-30 cts.
Maybe mine is the little kid sister? Lol

7AB35831-7B3A-43E2-A671-3A3FF3CF9C05.jpeg

There is a thread on the CS forum here called “Big Blue Blob” in case anyone missed it.
Sorry not sure how to link another thread.

The color similarity is uncanny! Just wonderful! I’ll try to check out that link you reference.

H

Horsegirl76

@Horsegirl76 That’s so kind of you to say. Truly. She is a special one. Thank you so much=)2

You’re welcome. As another poster mentioned, and because I am an English teacher, I have enjoyed reading your beautifully written story. Congratulations again on such a beautiful and perfect find. :)

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
The color similarity is uncanny! Just wonderful! I’ll try to check out that link you reference.

@LightBright Thank you! I thought so too!
When I found the ring I was in the middle of binge watching all of the seasons of “The Crown” on Netflix about the British Royal family. I loved it. Can’t wait for the next season.
Somehow I felt like I had found a little sapphire morsel that fell out of the queens crown. When I saw the brooch on Antiques RS, I thought wow, looks like it came from the stock as mine. I think it’s just the magic of certain Ceylon stones. So many beautiful shades of color in sapphires.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
You’re welcome. As another poster mentioned, and because I am an English teacher, I have enjoyed reading your beautifully written story. Congratulations again on such a beautiful and perfect find. :)

@Horsegirl76 Thank you! Such a lovely compliment! My husband was an English teacher and guidance counselor for many years before retiring. I really respect the work that teachers do and the positive impact they can have on their students for years and years after they leave your classroom.
Best of luck to you always in your work.
And in jewel hunting...=)2

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Today was a fun day, a step back in time to more innocent, lighthearted pursuits.
I went to a flea market and saw the familiar vintage and antique folks. We know each other by first name and I know what they do beyond this side job; a therapist, a teacher, a vintage shop owner.
I scouered the jewelry vendors first as usual.
I often leave empty handed and prefer it that way. But my heart is always a little fuller seeing what have become old friends.
We share a secret passion and language for the old, the glorious, the castoff remnants of the past. Today I picked up an old tea tin. Something about the colors. I read the design as some provincial scene. Thought I could use it to store some of my treasures.
On closer look I noticed that the design was a jewel encrusted cameo. How perfect.
Not surprisingly, Elena sensed familiarity and settled in with it like an old relation.

3A446D16-6873-4878-AA8D-65FFB4865C7F.jpeg
96D6DAB4-CEFC-4624-A4C6-45D239F229EC.jpeg
8CABC666-CF73-4844-A475-CA95BEA49DD4.jpeg
3694EF2E-2AC9-46D3-9497-66A671418A04.jpeg
FF9E3E10-9B6D-42F0-B412-8154C6AA4BDC.jpeg

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys! I’m honored and thrilled to see a photo of my ring featured in today’s Blog post celebrating September’s gem of the month, Sapphires.
I did a double take and had a wait, what?!? moment.
Yay for sapphires!! Worth celebrating every day! Pricescope certainly has been a bright spot these last several months, so thank you for all you do to keep it that way!
It is appreciated!

H

Horsegirl76

Congratulations! I absolutely love your sapphire. By far, one of the prettiest I’ve ever seen.

H

Horsegirl76

@Horsegirl76 Love your gorgeous new wedding set by the way! I hope it’s bringing you much joy!

Oh thank you so much! It definitely is. Every day! I think my next piece will be a blue sapphire three stone (diamond sides) ring for a RHR but I know it will take me a long time to find the right shade of blue. Sigh. I wish yours could be cloned.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results