shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique 8ct. Ceylon blue sapphire ring. Meet Elena, aka my mini “Blue Blob”

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Hi Fellow PriceScoper’s!

I have been a long time lurker and admirer of the many beautiful pieces on this forum.
I have quietly appreciated being part of this community and enjoyed every bit of knowledge and passion you all so generously share.

I figured I should share too.

Forgive the long backstory.
Feel free to move straight to photos and specs

I’ve had a love affair with antique jewelry since my early 20’s. My engagement ring back in the 80’s was an old mine cut stone that we found in our city’s jewelry district. I came to appreciate antique stones and beautiful craftsmanship more and more. I appreciate the modern as well now thanks in large part to this forum.

Fast forward to 2019, a year of momentous occasions; turning 60, retiring and marrying my second husband, a very happy miracle since both of us were widowed and didn’t imagine finding a substantial life partner again. We feel like we hit the lottery.

On our honeymoon to London last September I fantasized that I might find an antique sapphire ring, which has been my hearts desire for a while now.
I thought just maybe I’d find something that I loved, had a strong sense of history and was also affordable. It was to be my retirement gift to myself.

I found a beautiful antique sapphire and diamond band in one of the markets which my husband sweetly insisted on getting me as a momento of our honeymoon.
It is a sentimental treasure.
But I still found myself pining for a larger stone as time went on.

This past February in my search for a modest Valentine’s gift, I visited an antique jewelry store not too far from where I live.
I was immediately taken with a sapphire ring I saw in the case and knew that it was special.

I had some reservations at first because it was more than I’ve ever spent on a piece of jewelry. Most of my jewelry has been procured from antique jewelry dealers at flea markets and lucky finds in other places. I love that sort of hunt and have found great pieces of jewelry and art in the process.

Another concern I had about the ring was why a beautiful stone would have been set in a sterling silver Georgian setting with no gold at all. It naturally gave me pause. I have a couple Georgian pieces, each a combination of silver and gold with rose cut diamonds.

I gave it a week or so, then dug into the origins of the ring with a phone call to the shop owner, a seasoned, antique jewelry veteran. She explained that the stone came from an antique Victorian brooch and the Georgian setting had previously held a garnet cabochon.

She felt that the stone and setting were a perfect marriage of beauty, era and design.
I know those marriages are made often in the antique jewelry world, but I still thought it odd that a stone so lovely wouldn’t have been placed in a gold or platinum setting.

So what to do? I was falling in love and had to make a decision.
It had an appraisal from a well regarded Independent appraiser in our city, someone I knew and trusted personally. But no report from a gem grading lab like GIA or AGL.
I visited his office and spoke with him about the ring. I decided I was going for it.
Finding a stone of that color, size and price again would be a long shot. Plus I was fully smitten...Plus they were having a sale.
I’m sorry to have broke the golden rule of the experts here, trust, but verify first....that’s on me, I went with my gut. Knowing the reputation of the appraiser I felt comfortable moving forward.

I have come to feel that the owner was right about the setting and stone being a fated match. I marvel at the beautiful, delicate handmade setting, and the gorgeous stone.
Taken apart they both are special.
When I see them together it feels meant to be, a happy, harmonious marriage.
It is not a showy ring, but it is elegant.
It’s also very comfortable to wear.

I may eventually reset to a platinum or gold setting, but for now I’m enjoying every aspect of this ring right down to its inclusions, quirks and imperfections. It has plenty of those.

There is some wear on the table facets (one corner has a small nick), some minor surface scratches, a window, some color zoning and a myriad of inclusions. It’s 150+ years old, so the wear is not a surprise. That it is unheated is a wonderful bonus.

To me the inclusions are part of the mystery and unique fingerprint of the stone.
I especially love the iridescent flashes I see at different angles, the cross hatch of rutile crystals and soft clouds. And the way light is sometimes caught within the stone or flows right through to reveal every facet.

Most importantly...my eyes LOVE this stone.
All I see when I look at it is a silky delicious mass of blue, which goes electric in the sunlight, and a royal velvet in low light.
It delights me every single time I glance down at my hand. A little ancient blue galaxy just for me.

I’ve decided to name her “Elena” after my beloved first MIL. The name means bright, shining light. She was a bright light in my life and remains very close to my heart.

The ring has brought me endless fascination and joy during this somber time we’re living in currently. In some ways it’s a symbol that beauty persists even in the face of change, uncertainty and the bumps and bruises we endure in life. Happy I can share this bit of joy with all of you.

Specs:
8cts
11.95x12.40x6
Antique cushion cut
Unheated
Ceylon origin in opinion of appraiser

At the store the day I fell in love...
8ACB8105-563A-43C0-9309-072EE1FBCDD1.jpeg
BD743108-8D3E-4F6E-9D47-A8451A7244C0.jpeg

Went for it...

D67FE9BA-4AE7-47AA-B0F8-114BC5A7A286.jpeg

Indoors incandescent light...
35FC5C19-78E2-4266-BB76-F7F062299D97.jpeg S
FFA82AF0-69C2-47BC-B617-F50A6AB23117.jpeg
D9AB4452-A8B0-4CC6-8F31-33C16E692C16.jpeg

Sunny day car photos...
E4804117-B0AD-46DC-BCD3-AE21DA4A248E.jpeg
9600468B-3506-4464-8343-319A7DF4F925.jpeg

Indirect sun daytime...
BF982EAE-0E6F-46FC-A0B5-56BD0B612709.jpeg
45056664-C1B4-445C-8524-8B40501B3E9B.jpeg

Indoors in front of bright sunny window...
0AA4A909-CA7B-4B8D-BA52-AD156ED130A4.jpeg
E0490CC6-A860-4D76-BA87-2153CF65D3A4.jpeg
6834D1EA-618F-4ABD-A45F-D904F0557AEB.jpeg
5B6C5D91-02E8-47B6-8901-C2D6B4DAFE9C.jpeg
A64FBA90-0EF3-413E-8A88-329893A64412.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow and Wow again.
Congratulations.
What a beauty and a treasure.
I adore the setting. It is perfect in every way.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful story and your blue blob.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, so lovely!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@Bluemuse Gosh it's beautiful. Fated for that setting and maybe fated for you to find it too!? ;)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluelicious ❤️❤️❤️
Wear in good health and blingy joy.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely write up and story!

That stone is a rare find and a beauty. The setting works with it too, but if you decide to reset, it would also be beautiful. Enjoy her for all of her little "isms" that make it a special one of a kind. Really beautiful.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful story of finding new love with your second husband & second antique sapphire!

Thank you, Polabowla! So sweet! I feel very blessed on both counts!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Wow and Wow again.
Congratulations.
What a beauty and a treasure.
I adore the setting. It is perfect in every way.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful story and your blue blob.

Thank you, Bron! I like that the stone is the main star and the details of the setting are a lacy surprise when you get close enough.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful color and size! Such a rare find. Congrats!

Than you, swaye2010! I felt very lucky to find her! I’ve been looking at sapphire rings for forever. The sales person at the store said most of their customers prefer the Lady Diana color of sapphire. Worked out perfect for me:)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A spectacular ring! You definitely won’t find one like that again! Congratulations and wear it in the best of health :appl:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Love that shade of blue and what a lucky find in that size!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
woooooow :appl: that's Kirsty Allsop size -
beautiful
the setting is stunning also
may we also see the one your new bubbie brought on honey moon please

Thank you, Daisys and Diamonds!
Wasn’t familiar with that person, but I think I know what you mean lol, her ruby cushion is similar size and shape
Happy to share if I can add a photo here!
We got it at one of the jewelry stalls in Portobello Market. It has London/Birmingham marks. AB833309-4DE0-48FE-B74D-6952E4AA106A.jpeg

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs is right, ethereal is the perfect word for this stunning time in a bottle!

Enjoy her! We are only here once, (in this body anyways) do adore her and wear her in good health!

Thanks, TheGarnetGirl! So true! I do adore her! Jewelry is about so much more than the physical stuff! For me it’s a strong emotional connection and appreciation of nature’s magic!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Bluelicious ❤❤❤
Wear in good health and blingy joy.

Thank you, Missy! We share a love for a little town on the Delaware River. Lambertville is one of our favorite places to spend the day. Been missing those carefree, fun days spent browsing the antique shops, book shops and cafes. Look forward to them returning soon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Missy! We share a love for a little town on the Delaware River. Lambertville is one of our favorite places to spend the day. Been missing those carefree, fun days spent browsing the antique shops, book shops and cafes. Look forward to them returning soon.

Yasss. And they’re opening very soon I think...

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely write up and story!

That stone is a rare find and a beauty. The setting works with it too, but if you decide to reset, it would also be beautiful. Enjoy her for all of her little "isms" that make it a special one of a kind. Really beautiful.

Thank you, Elizat! So nice! It’s wonderful to be in this community where people feel the same spark of joy for gems as you!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Yasss. And they’re opening very soon I think...

That might be one of my first visits! I think you can space apart pretty well in the shops.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
A spectacular ring! You definitely won’t find one like that again! Congratulations and wear it in the best of health :appl:

Thank you, OreoRosies86! That was my hunch! So happy I followed my nose on this one!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous! Love that shade of blue and what a lucky find in that size!

Thank you, kgizo! I’m enjoying all her color incarnations! She is a chameleon for sure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results