shape
carat
color
clarity

Antigua topaz sunstone?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
My friend returned from Antigua recently with a pretty ring. The seller told her it was Antigua Topaz Sunstone...now I''m a fairly new coloured stones fan and I have not seen many and don''t have much knowledge. But I thought sunstone was exclusively American? From Oregon? Or is there more to be found in other parts of the world? Also, aren''t topaz and sunstone completely different gems? Wouldn''t it be like saying this is a lovely diamond sapphire? Or am I completely wrong and sunstone is part of the topaz family?

The stone itself is transparent. It looks about 4x6mm, something along the lines of an elongated cushion cut. It''s a very nice red-orange colour that turns purple at different angles. Hard to describe...

Can someone please educate me on this? Or am I right in thinking there''s no such stone??

Obviously I will say nothing to my friend. It is a very pretty ring and she''s happy with it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunstone is a feldspar and from a different family from topaz. I am equally puzzled.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I am not positive but I am pretty sure no topaz or sunstone is found anywhere in the caribbean. Maybe some larimar or olivine but not sunstone or topaz. Unless he/she bought it at a jewelry stone down there and not a street vendor then I am willing to bet it''s a simulant or fake. Pics?

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Could it be a coated topaz? When I was in Mexico I bought a Mystic Fire Topaz. Which is essentially just a coating on a stone if I understand correctly? I didn''t know it at the time, but I''ve learned a lot from PS. Maybe this is just a new "sunstone" coating? Heck my local jeweler has several topaz stones that are "exclusive" to them. Just coatings. Again - this is just a guess. :)

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Good suggestion Hoofbeats, I''d say that''s the most likely.

Thanks for the info everyone!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be a coated topaz - there are some amazing coatings now! It could also be a synthetic gemstone - especially if it has a colour change going on. Here''s a link to some coatings - click on the bar on the left hand side to bring up more pictures. Does anything look similar?

http://www.azotic.us/gems.php?process_id=8

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes LovingDiamonds! I think you have it there. It looks just like "Mistletoe".

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
WOW, LD good link....
3.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have pics AmGuy, I think she''d look at me funny
3.gif
but it is just like "mistletoe" in the link LD posted.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspected coated topaz to look like a sunstone since that's the name and topazs are typically coated. As far as I know, Antigua has no gemstone mines.
9.gif
Great sluething LD.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results