shape
carat
color
clarity

Anti Semitism....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
My husband was Jewish, but also pure Swede. By the time we met in 2019 his once pale blonde hair was silver-white, so you wouldn't have known by looking at him. He was also first gen American born, as both of his parents were brought here as children when Hitler's influence was reaching Sweden. On our first date as were were sitting in the restaurant even before our food arrived he said, "I want to get this out in the open from the start, in case it's an issue for you. I'm Jewish". He paused, waited for me to respond. I told him that while I wasn't raised Jewish, I'd recently found out that I'm Jewish by descent, and had been studying it a little and felt a real connection. He was visibly relived, and happy that we had a commonality to talk about while we were trying to find things we had in common.

I asked him later what he'd have done if I'd reacted differently. He said "I didn't expect you to also be Jewish, and it didn't matter if you were. But if you'd made a negative or antisemitic comment, or given any other indication, I'd have changed the subject and stayed polite to you. I'd have followed through treating you to dinner unless you didn't want to, but it would have been our only date". I just find it so sad that he had to tell me that at the beginning like he did, instead of letting the subject come around naturally as we got to know each other.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband was Jewish, but also pure Swede. By the time we met in 2019 his once pale blonde hair was silver-white, so you wouldn't have known by looking at him. He was also first gen American born, as both of his parents were brought here as children when Hitler's influence was reaching Sweden. On our first date as were were sitting in the restaurant even before our food arrived he said, "I want to get this out in the open from the start, in case it's an issue for you. I'm Jewish". He paused, waited for me to respond. I told him that while I wasn't raised Jewish, I'd recently found out that I'm Jewish by descent, and had been studying it a little and felt a real connection. He was visibly relived, and happy that we had a commonality to talk about while we were trying to find things we had in common.

I asked him later what he'd have done if I'd reacted differently. He said "I didn't expect you to also be Jewish, and it didn't matter if you were. But if you'd made a negative or antisemitic comment, or given any other indication, I'd have changed the subject and stayed polite to you. I'd have followed through treating you to dinner unless you didn't want to, but it would have been our only date". I just find it so sad that he had to tell me that at the beginning like he did, instead of letting the subject come around naturally as we got to know each other.

I totally understand how your husband ( date at the time) was feeling. When I was younger and dating if that person didn’t know I was Jewish I always felt nervous til i brought it up. Having lost family in the Holocaust being Jewish is part of who I am and though I am not religious I care very much. And anti semitism runs deep and is often silent and sometimes that person isn’t even aware of their negative feelings towards the Jewish people.

Elie Wiesel wrote “ Once I thought that anti-Semitism had ended; today it is clear to me that it will probably never end.” And “ “We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must—at that moment—become the center of the universe”

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
I totally understand how your husband ( date at the time) was feeling. When I was younger and dating if that person didn’t know I was Jewish I always felt nervous til i brought it up. Having lost family in the Holocaust being Jewish is part of who I am and though I am not religious I care very much. And anti semitism runs deep and is often silent and sometimes that person isn’t even aware of their negative feelings towards the Jewish people.

Elie Wiesel wrote “ Once I thought that anti-Semitism had ended; today it is clear to me that it will probably never end.” And “ “We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must—at that moment—become the center of the universe”

My husband started dating right away after his first wife died, I explained that in a previous post I made. The first woman he asked out seemed nice enough according to him, and at the time he didn't think to stare his Judaism right away like he started doing after this woman. He told me that when the topic of religion came up a few dates in, he told her and she immediately went off trying to shove Jesus down his throat, as he described, "carrying on about my salvation for the rest of dinner". He said he finished eating and ended the date as fast as he politely could, and made sure that was out in the open on the first date after that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband started dating right away after his first wife died, I explained that in a previous post I made. The first woman he asked out seemed nice enough according to him, and at the time he didn't think to stare his Judaism right away like he started doing after this woman. He told me that when the topic of religion came up a few dates in, he told her and she immediately went off trying to shove Jesus down his throat, as he described, "carrying on about my salvation for the rest of dinner". He said he finished eating and ended the date as fast as he politely could, and made sure that was out in the open on the first date after that.

Wow that’s so sad.

My parents best friends are born again Christians and it never gets in the way. They are so close. Depends on the people and it’s not really about the religion IMO.

I feel religion is only detrimental when it separates people.. That happens when one thinks their religion is superior. I have no issues with religion as long as 1. You don’t preach to me and 2. You respect my right to believe whatever I want to.

Atheist, agnostic or religious-it’s the individual’s choice. Religion serves a purpose for many who are looking for comfort and a purpose. I personally don’t need it but I understand why many do. Just don’t push your beliefs down my throat please.

I agree with Wiesel. We’ll never be free from persecution. But that doesn’t mean we don’t keep working towards a better tomorrow for everyone.

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
Wow that’s so sad.

My parents best friends are born again Christians and it never gets in the way. They are so close. Depends on the people and it’s not really about the religion IMO.

I feel religion is only detrimental when it separates people.. That happens when one thinks their religion is superior. I have no issues with religion as long as 1. You don’t preach to me and 2. You respect my right to believe whatever I want to.

Atheist, agnostic or religious-it’s the individual’s choice. Religion serves a purpose for many who are looking for comfort and a purpose. I personally don’t need it but I understand why many do. Just don’t push your beliefs down my throat please.

I agree with Wiesel. We’ll never be free from persecution. But that doesn’t mean we don’t keep working towards a better tomorrow for everyone.

I can't agree completely that it's sad, because it caused him to dump her, so no chance he was already married to her when I met him. ;-) He was the love of my life, I'm so glad I was the one who got to spend his final years with him.

But I do get what you're saying, and completely agree. We should respect each other's beliefs, even if we don't share them. One of the things that my husband appreciated so much was that over time I stopped eating non-kosher foods around him, then stopped altogether. I also learned to cook kosher. He told me from the start he didn't expect any of that from me, but it made him feel loved and respected when I did.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i just cant get my head around anti sematism :angryfire:
i cant even spell it !

i am appaled your hubby felt the need to do this

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anti semitism is on the rise

"

White House to address rising anti-Semitism, attacks on Jews​

Reuters
U.S. Second Gentleman Douglas Emhoff listens during a panel discussion with women entrepreneurs during his visit to Mi Casa Resource Center in Denver

U.S. Second Gentleman Douglas Emhoff listens during a panel discussion with women entrepreneurs during his visit to Mi Casa Resource Center in Denver, Colorado, U.S., March 11, 2022. Jason Connolly/Pool via REUTERS/Pool via REUTERS
WASHINGTON, Dec 5 (Reuters) - The White House will address rising anti-Semitism in a roundtable event with Jewish leaders on Wednesday focused on attacks against Jews across the United States and how to combat hate.
The White House did not say which leaders from the Jewish community would attend the event, hosted by second gentleman Douglas Emhoff, the first Jewish spouse of a president or a vice president.
The move comes as reports of anti-Semitism have increased nationwide. The issue has drawn headlines in recent weeks after former Republican President Donald Trump hosted white supremacist Nick Fuentes and the musician formerly known as Kanye West at his private club in Florida.

West, now called Ye, has drawn widespread criticism for a spate of anti-Semitic comments -- including praise for Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler -- and was suspended from Twitter last week.
Some Republicans have criticized Trump's dinner with Fuentes and Ye, but have stopped short of directly criticizing Trump, who has said he did not know Fuentes.
"I just want to make a few things clear: The Holocaust happened. Hitler was a demonic figure. And instead of giving it a platform, our political leaders should be calling out and rejecting anti-Semitism wherever it hides. Silence is complicity," Biden, a Democrat, said in a Twitter post Friday.

Last year saw the largest number of anti-Semitic incidents, including murder, physical assaults, harassment and vandalism, since the Anti-Defamation League began collecting records 40 years ago, the racism watchdog said in its most recent annual audit.
"I’m in pain right now. Perpetuating lies, such as the denial of the Holocaust, and praising fascist murderers, is dangerous and fans the flames of anti-Semitism and hate," Emhoff, who is married to U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris, said in a Twitter post on Friday. "We all have an obligation to condemn these vile acts. We must not stay silent."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"

Antisemitism is on the rise, and it's not just about Ye​

An old kind of hate has been very visible lately. High-profile entertainers and athleteshave openly spouted antisemitic tropes. Former president Donald Trump dined recently with an outspoken Holocaust denier. Beyond these headlines, there's also been a steady rise in the number of hateful incidents directed at Jewish people over the past several years.

How to address antisemitic rhetoric when you encounter it

According to the Anti-Defamation League, 2021 was the highest year on record for documented reports of harassment, vandalism and violence directed against Jews. The watchdog group has tracked these incidents since 1979, and it says 2022 will look a lot like last year.

These record breaking numbers present as part of a consistent, five year upswing in the number of antisemitic incidents, unprecedented in the ADL's three plus decades of data collection. The organization says it's more commonly tracked isolated spikes in a given year, as seen in 1994 and 1981.

The current streak includes the 2018 attack on the Pittsburgh Tree of Life synagogue - where a gunman killed 11 Jewish worshippers, as well as the deadly "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Va. two years earlier where extremist demonstrators chanted "Jews will not replace us" during a torchlit march, but also thousands of smaller incidents like vandalizing Jewish schools and community centers, or extremist flyering campaigns.

How antisemitic rhetoric is impacting Jewish communities, and what to do about it

At the ADL, it's Emily Snider's job to document and try to categorize these reports, and one example from 2021 haunts her.

"Two young Orthodox boys were playing in their yard in California and were shot with paintballs — red paintballs. And we saw pictures of them. And I mean, it was heartbreaking. Absolutely heartbreaking," said Snider.

Hate crimes more broadly have also been on the rise over the past few years. Experts sometimes refer to antisemitism as a "canary in the coal mine" for hate generally. Whenever a minority group is blamed for some real or perceived harm, such narratives almost always find ways to also attack Jews based on centuries-old mythsabout Jewish control and disloyalty.

For those who are upset about Black people demonstrating against racism, or blame a pandemic on anyone who looks Asian, or are angry about the visibility of transgender people or queer culture, Snider says it's a short leap to conspiracist thinking.

"Jews are centered in a lot of conspiracy theories, especially around economy or power or greed or whatever. Those are core antisemitic tropes. So when we start to see unrest, we tend to see antisemitic incidents climb," said Snider.

Antisemitism returns to politics​

Trump's dinner with the musician Ye, who's made a number of antisemitic remarks, and a notorious Holocaust-denying internet streamer is just the latest example of antisemitism's increasing visibility in electoral politics.

Republican leaders denounce Trump's dinner with white nationalist Nick Fuentes

Snider says whenever celebrities or politicians flirt publicly with antisemitic tropes, increased extremist and neo-Nazi harrassment and recruiting tends to follow. These moments are opportunities for hateful highway banner drops, flyering and online radicalization.

As for Nick Fuentes, the white nationalist internet streamer who had dinner with Ye and the former president, Trump is not the first Republican candidate or official to spend time with him and later claim not to know about his very outspoken, antisemitic beliefs. Earlier this year Georgia U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene was a speaker at a fundraising event hosted by Fuentes. Arizona U.S. Rep. Paul Gosar addressed that same event. Both were re-elected last month.

As Republicans take over the house in January, Greene is expected to regain committee assignments that Democrats stripped her of based, in part, on her promotion of antisemitic conspiracy theories. Among the most prominent examples was Greene's claim that California wildfires may have been caused by the Rothschilds, a prominent Jewish banking family and mainstay in antisemitic conspiracy theories.

"That's old-school, classic modern antisemitism coming from the 1870s and eighties and nineties into the 20th century," said Joshua Shanes, a Jewish Studies professor at the College of Charleston.

"There's rhetoric that's accepted today that simply never would have possibly been accepted a generation ago, not since the 1930s, really," said Shanes. "People call it [political correctness], but there's a benefit to saying it is unacceptable to be openly racist, to be openly antisemitic. And if you are, you will not win political office. But that has gone away."

Shanes sometimes sees that normalization in his own classes, where students are not always familiar with the often coded language and imagery of antisemitism. It's made him change the way he teaches the history of the Nazi party's use of anti-Jewish propaganda films.

"And I used to show it to my students. I'd say, okay, let's dissect it. What antisemitic myths do you see in here? Let's find them all. I don't do it anymore because I'm actually concerned they'll be persuaded by it," said Shanes.

Growing up, Shanes said he also learned very few details about the role of racist violence in American history.

"So there's a lot of suppression of knowledge, I think. I don't want to blame these students for it. They're very open, but they need to be taught, no doubt about it," he said.
"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"​

What is antisemitism?​

Antisemitism is a form of discrimination or prejudice against Jewish people.

The Anti-Defamation League, an organization which tracks antisemitism, defines it as “prejudice and/or discrimination against Jews as individuals and as a group. Anti-Semitism is based on stereotypes and myths that target Jews as a people, their religious practices and beliefs, and the Jewish State of Israel.”

Yair Rosenberg wrote for The Atlantic, “Unlike many other bigotries, anti-Semitism is not merely a social prejudice; it is a conspiracy theory about how the world operates.” Rosenberg explained that antisemitism involves scapegoating Jewish people.

The ADL explained that antisemitism has existed for centuries.

Blood libel (falsely accusing Jewish people of killing people for rituals) and other forms of scapegoating Jewish people (such as how some blamed the bubonic plague on Jewish people during the Middle Ages) are forms of antisemitism, the ADL said.

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum said that the Nazi party in Germany began blaming an economic downturn on Jewish people. From around 1933 onward, the Nazi party and Hitler began amplifying these types of accusations.

The Nazi party systematically murdered approximately six million Jewish people, according to The National World War II Museum. This is a known holocaust that occurred between 1939 and 1945.

Holocaust denial is also a form of antisemitism.

Emily Snider, an associate regional director at the ADL, said to NPR, “Jews are centered in a lot of conspiracy theories, especially around economy or power or greed or whatever. Those are core antisemitic tropes. So when we start to see unrest, we tend to see antisemitic incidents climb.”

According to the ADL, antisemitism is connected to the conspiracy theory known as QAnon. Erica Evans explained in the Deseret News that QAnon is a set of conspiracy theories, like the existence of a global child trafficking ring run by politicians and Hollywood figures, as well as the idea that Donald Trump is “draining the swamp.”

The ADL said, “QAnon’s antisemitism has been most visible at two points: its beginnings — when it emerged from the swastika-studded fever swamp that is 4chan — and the present, when the most popular QAnon influencer, GhostEzra, is an open Nazi who praises Hitler, admires the Third Reich, and decries the supposedly treacherous nature of Jews.”

Antisemitism propagates hateful stereotypes and conspiracy theories.

In 2016, antisemitism started rising again and now there is a record high number of antisemitic incidents in the U.S.

The ADL found that 2021 had the highest percentage of antisemitic incidents recorded. In a report, the ADL said that there was a total of 2,717 incidents reported in 2021.

The ADL began tracking in 1979 and indicated that across virtually every category that they track (assault, harassment and vandalism), the number of incidents increased. The ADL said that in 2021, assault rose 167% from 2020 to 2021.

In a 2021 report from The Center for the Study of Contemporary European Jewry, 24% of American Jews said that they had experienced antisemitism.

Jewish people have frequently been the No. 1 target of hate crimes in the U.S.

The Uniform Crime Reports provide statistics on hate crimes in the U.S. According to the most recent report from 2019, anti-Jewish hate crimes are the No. 1 form of anti-religious crime. This is nearly consistent across the crime reports.

How to stand up against antisemitism​

Good-willed people can help create a pluralistic democracy devoid of prejudice by standing up to discrimination.

Get to know Jewish people

Rosenberg advised on Twitter that people learn about Jewish people today to dispel the stereotypes they may hear. He added that it’s important to learn about the history of the Holocaust, but “the problem arises when it becomes the entirety of the education.”

If you are in a religious group or church, consider hosting an interfaith meal with a local synagogue to break bread and fellowship together.

Learn about Jewish history in its entirety and read the perspectives of Jewish writers. Follow Jewish writers on social media and read their work.

Become educated about the Holocaust

Not many Americans are educated about the Holocaust.

Katrina Lantos Swett, daughter of Holocaust survivor Tom Lantos, said that there is a lack of education around the Holocaust in America. “A full 63% of respondents ages 18-39 did not know that six million Jews were murdered during the Holocaust and 48% could not name a single one of the more than 40,000 extermination camps and ghettos in Europe.” This was a 2020 50-state survey of millennials and Gen Z with 1,000 nationwide interviews.

Become educated by reading books like “Night” by Elie Wiesel, “The Diary of a Young Girl” by Anne Frank, “Number the Stars” by Lois Lowry, “Maus” by Arthur Spiegelman and other books to learn what happened.

Consider visiting The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, located in Washington, D.C. The museum’s website also has several available resources, like the survivors’ database and articles on how to confront antisemitism.

There are also other ways to combat antisemitism.

• Avoid stereotyping Jewish people. Prejudicial attitudes usually portray a group monolithically in a harmful manner. Avoid stereotyping Jewish people and recognize the diversity and humanity of Jewish people.
  • When you hear an antisemitic remark, have a conversation to correct the remark and explain why it’s wrong.
  • Educate yourself on the resurgence of antisemitism and read research about what policies may reduce it. Change of policy and change of culture can contribute to a reduction in antisemitism.

"

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
no excuse ever
but i think a lot of recent celebrity anti semits reflect lack of basic education
i just do not understand it, nor do i accept it

i came across this story the other day
poor little Remi and all the little Remis that were murdered by the nazis

i think its time for Hollywood to make another movie, to inform a new generation and remind others of what Hitler and his particullay
abhorrent brand of hatred did to the Jewish people

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
because its almost Hanukkah i wanted to post something positive
1671244617265.png

the King is dancing with holocoust survivers inclusing Ann Frank's sister

1671244694455.png

may the Jewish people know that you have so many Gentile friends who have your back
love Nicky

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
this doco is old now
but Kitty is till alive i think
watch it, shear it
never forget

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
Last week my husband's permanent headstone was put in place. I was there along with his rabbi, kids, sister, and 2 grandkids. As we were leaving, I saw on one of the headstones nearby where someone had painted a cross, and someone had scraped it off to where it wasn't obvious until you were close. Totally disgusting, and I hope I catch someone if they try that on my husband's headstone. Or maybe it would be better if I don't catch them..............

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was in London for an overnight trip, I visited the Imperial War Museum and its Holocaust exhibition, and it was very sad and moving.

DK :cry2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just had a debate about this with my dh who doesn't believe this is the right thing to do. I do think it is the right thing to do. His issue is he thinks this should be protected under free speech. We had a lively disagreement lol.

Thanks for posting Nicky. Go Australia! They rock! (IMO not my dh's opinion lol)

This gives me an idea for a thread unless you want to start it Nicky...about what should be protected under free speech and what should not. I have very definite thoughts about this as does Greg. And let's just say we agree to disagree but I have to say it makes me angry that our government (USA) can take away women's right to choose but will allow hate speech and despicable behavior to continue under the protection of free speech but as women our freedom to do with our bodies as we choose isn't protected.:x2 And I don't give a darn about what is in the constitution etc. That was written a LONG time ago and perhaps it's time for revision.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Hate speech is not free speech. Two different animals, and only one gets you marginalized and killed.

The insidious dogwhistles against 'globalists' and 'Soros' have gotten even more bold lately. It disgusts me and because they are saying these things in a very particular media setting there is little pushback. Some people are still unaware what those truly signify to the people that do. It gives them cover. That's incredibly dangerous.
There needs to be immediate pushback and 'Care to define what that means exactly, sir/ma'am' at every opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results