shape
carat
color
clarity

Anti Semitism....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend shared this on FB. 186515371_10222668790642308_2511091057224132787_n.jpg

Yes. It can feel like this too often. :(

A middle school kid who is the son of a friend's friend was in a rush. He and another kid bumped into each other. The other kid said, "Quit being so violent you f-ing Jew."

This is at least the second incident in that school district this week.

Anti semitism is alive and well. It never went away. It (seems to be) is the one constant.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
**removed, against the rules**

I cannot comment though I would like to but the rule about politics. Suffice to say F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote that the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to function while holding two opposing ideas in mind at the same time. IMO Israel has the right to exist as a Jewish democratic state and also has the right to self-defense and maybe I don't approve of all they do but I support their right to exist. That is all I will say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Queenie60

I find the Anti Semitism to be quite disturbing. However, it starts at the top and the Politicians (you know who I mean) need to stop their propaganda regarding racial division. And all hate crimes need to be addressed, not one race over another. Hate is hate and it needs to stop. I am so sad for our country and what America is becoming.

Q

Queenie60

I cannot comment though I would like to but the rule about politics. Suffice to say F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote that the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to function while holding two opposing ideas in mind at the same time. IMO Israel has the right to exist as a Jewish democratic state and also has the right to self-defense and maybe I don't approve of all they do but I support their right to exist. That is all I will say.

I say the same - YES - I support Israel's right to exist and their right to self-defense. God bless.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A middle school kid who is the son of a friend's friend was in a rush. He and another kid bumped into each other. The other kid said, "Quit being so violent you f-ing Jew."

This is at least the second incident in that school district this week.

WTF ?
Where does that even come from ?
(Ok from the parents)
I just dont understand it in the slightest

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Graffiti on the walls of a synagogue read “Free Palestine” and “f*** Israel.” A statue of Raoul Wallenberg, the Swedish diplomat who saved thousands of Hungarian Jews from the Nazis, was smeared with anti-Semitic slogans.

Along with the synagogues, Jewish-owned buildings and stores were defaced, in several cases also with anti-Semitic graffiti. The businesses were looted, too.
:x2

I’m Chinese and my husband is Jewish (a fairly common intercultural phenomenon, at least in our area of the US northeast).
We were actually talking about how we were both going through similar feelings with covid/anti-Chinese hate and now the anti-Semitic hate. We both find it frustrating that people are conflating the actions of the government with the general culture and the everyday people.

Both my husband and I disagree with many of the actions of our govt but love our cultural identities and it is frustrating that those who hate (and even much of the general populous) can’t or won’t distinguish the different between government and people and it’s the hardworking people around the world that are getting harmed and targeted. It’d be like Americans all being seen as supporting Trump when he was president.

My husband worries about me more since I’m a woman and obviously can’t “pass” as not-Asian even if I wanted to. I worry about him and his family who go to synagogue regularly (I’m atheist and don’t participate in any regular identifiable cultural group activity that can be an obvious target of hate). So currently we worry for each other, sigh.

We sometimes talk about how we would try to preserve both our heritages in any kids we’d have. Making them go to both Chinese school and Hebrew school on the weekend seems like torture haha. I figure the Chinese part is likely to be undeniable and unhideable with any biological child of ours, and my parents don’t speak much English and will be doing the bulk helping out. So we figure Hebrew school makes more sense since home will be quite Chinese and their experience moving through the world is that they will likely be seen (and treated) as Asian way more than Jewish. Though we hope they get to be seen as who they feel they are and that the world is a kinder place in general for them.

When we visit each other’s families we both brace ourselves for awkward comments since neither of our families are particularly diverse but they mean well. I get a lot of “oh I love kung pao chicken! And I’ve been to japan!” And he gets a lot of “I made sure nothing has shrimp in it! Is lobster ok? How about crab?”

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are just no words when it comes to the continuing existence of anti-Semitism in the world. Even after WWII and all the horrors that came to light, it still endures. Just no words.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It's amazing that in the era of information such as this, people would still be idiots.
Racism, Anti-Semitism, Bigotry, Sexism, and more. It boggles the mind.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People want & need to feel superior to others.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi,

This conversation hits the mark for me today. The back story: I dabble a bit in the stock market. Its somethig I enjoy. There is a section on the internet called yahoo finance where each stock has a forum to discuss the pros & cons of that stock. As I checked out some of these forums I found all sorts of derogatory comments about Jews and Blacks. I quickly formed an opinion I was dealing with a bunch of crazies, and I do mean crazies. I stayed close to one forum as it seemed pretty normal and I got good information. As time went on , lo and behold, more anti-semitic remarks and racist comments on blacks. I posted about it and the other posters told me to report it. Which I did! Again, and Again & Again. You get the point. The Admin does nothing about it. So I decided to get tougher.
I reported it to the Jewish Anti Defamation League and looked for somewhere I could report to the NAACP. Then I told Admin what I had done, and the comments began to disappear. But guess what, there is no reporting mechanism for black racism.

So today I go on and want to see the New Facebook page and offer my comments and found many comments on the bad Jews who were manipulating Wall Street and how the Jew Mark Zucherberg was cheating everyone. So i did my thing and complained to Admin and for the second time recently, I was blocked from making my complaint. It does no real good anyway, but I don't know what else to do.

Is this Free Speech?. Is this a free speech issue? I'm pretty old and have never come across this before. This internet stuff shows a lot of our failures and that there is a stupid population out there. Really bad.

My parents came from Holland and had very few prejudices. My Uncle was also killed in a concentration camp, and when I was 16 they showed pictues of the concentration camps and that memory has stayed with me thru my whole life. I am not jewish, but I am very worried about what I have read. Such awfulness.

Annette

It is even worse on genetic sites. Time and again, there would be posters accusing Jewish owners of known genetic companies of "adding" Jewish ancestry to clients' ethnic results. Today, I know what was going on. Apparently, certain alt-right organizations demanded "genetic proof" of "ethnic purity" from its members. And, predictably, few could pass muster. Certain Southern members' tests showed a small percentage of African DNA, and many others had a tiny amount of Ashkenazi. So these "DNA owners" came back to the sites, seething with indignation. To these posters, the results were falsified by Jewish geneticists. To me, not knowing the underlying story, all such posts looked hopelessly moronic, so after n-th discussion on the theme, I opened my big mouth to ask, for what purpose? The poster responded, "you look white, so you should understand that if 1% of the population holds their fingers in the cookie jars of the other 99%, it happens". Ah, said i, and where did you get these numbers, do we have a link? Five minutes later, I got a message starting "you f.... k...". And some threats. ...Now...Having never seen this word spelled out, I made a big "o" with my mouth. (It is true that I got about 17% of Ashkenazi from my GF, and never made a secret out of it. If anything, it was very romantic, as the cluster started with some Scots converting into Judaism in the Xth century and then migrating into the Pyrenees and mixing with the main group. I am always happy to have "painted" genome, my dad has some Inuits, Koreans and Japanese, I think it is super cool, the more the better!)

Honestly, even in the Soviet Union with its state antisemitism, I never ran into ethnic hatred. I look typically Slavic, was raised in predominantly Slav culture, and don't belong to any religion. But - maybe once in a life, it makes sense, to run into someone unknown, who'd hate you just for your DNA, to understand how it is, for others. Then it finally gets to you - that there are people who every darn day, on meeting anyone new, have to answer one obvious question, is he/she a racist? Anti-Semite? Anti-Asian? That lots of people in the world live like this? And how horrible it is for them?

(...And that no genetics site owner is going to stand by you, because when I took a screenshot and posted it, the customer service happily pushed it all under the rug).

My first experience with antisemitism in the US, my first experience with blind hatred for no reason. Live and learn.

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People want & need to feel superior to others.

This, fueled by own demoralization as jobs have left areas like Midwest, plus huge segregation in prisons, plus religion, plus toxic influence of WWII, plus the fact that this country has zero immunity to either communism or Nazism.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
plus the fact that this country has zero immunity to either communism or Nazism.

No country or community is immune to hate.

We must always united against (religious, racial, transgender identity, disability, sexual orientation, etc) hatred.

Remember, the Holocaust did not start with the gas chambers.
It started long before.

The virus of hate is much stronger than any other virus that exists.

"No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”
– Nelson Mandela (1994)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No country or community is immune to hate.

We must always united against (religious, racial, transgender identity, disability, sexual orientation, etc) hatred.

Remember, the Holocaust did not start with the gas chambers.
It started long before.

The virus of hate is much stronger than any other virus that exists.

"No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”
– Nelson Mandela (1994)

I give it to Germany - with their denazification processes and the way they raised the next generation, something has changed in the mentality of the younger ones. There is a very good book, “Hitler’s Children”, that explains change in the mentality of the young people. (AfD itself was a big surprise, but we were in Germany in 2017, to visit my ailing friend, and it seems that the party was strong mostly in former DDR and rural areas). Plus, Europe was destroyed by two wars. This plays a huge role. US, by the factor of it being far away, and being the winner has a very specific situation. I am always surprised at how poorly US school kids know world history. This, too, might play a negative role.

P.S. we should, and do, stand against hatred

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Dancing Fire @missy I'm sad that the anti-Semitism beast is raising its ugly head once again. Before we talk about politicians we should realize that media coverage of current events is quite biased, what with CNN stories getting the order of events mixed up and leaving out the crucial fact that Israel did try to forewarn civilians. When there's controversy it's simply unethical to not present all the facts and lead people to draw biased conclusions.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, this is veering towards politics again, please remember that isn’t allowed.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just watched a doco on netflex called the last days about 5 Hungarian jews who survived
I just cannot understand the hatred and the cruelty

Never forget
never again

NiemollerQuoteMonmouthNJ580pxw.JPG

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im just horrified and disgusted
What are they teaching in schools ?
This makes me wonder if they even learn about WW2
Its not like Netflix have a shortage of docos and movies on the subject

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im just horrified and disgusted
What are they teaching in schools ?
This makes me wonder if they even learn about WW2
Its not like Netflix have a shortage of docos and movies on the subject

Thanks for sharing this Daisy. I have shared my thoughts about anti semitism before. Anti Semitism never went away. It is always either just beneath the surface everywhere or, as has been happening all over the world, more overt in nature. It is, IMO, the last acceptable prejudice and people don't even realize it. Unless one is jewish and aware. Which I am.

So many dismiss it, deny it, refuse to see it. It is a heartbreaking and evil reality.

"Most people do not realize that Jews make up just 2 percent of the U.S. population and 0.2 percent of the world’s population. This means simply finding them takes a lot of effort. But every year in Western countries, including America, Jews are the No. 1 target of anti-religious hate crimes."

"At the same time, because this expression of anti-Jewish prejudice is so different from other forms of bigotry, many people don’t recognize it. As in Texas, law-enforcement officials overlook it. Social-media companies ignore it. Anti-racism activists—who understand racism as prejudice wielded by the powerful—cannot grasp it, because anti-Semitism constructs its Jewish targets as the privileged and powerful."

"“Anti-Semitism has real impact beyond just hate crimes,” the civil-rights activist Eric Ward once told me. “It distorts our understanding of how the actual world works."

"The rise of anti-Semitism is a sign of widespread social and cultural failure,” Mead writes. “It is a leading indicator of a loss of faith in liberal values and of a diminished capacity to understand the modern world and to thrive in it.”"

"
Michael Igel had listened to his grandparents' memories of the Holocaust for years when as a tween, he first confronted a friend who had a swastika drawn on his shoe. At that moment, he quickly realized the atrocities his family survived were unknown to many.

Decades after that encounter, Igel and many other Jewish people in America are reminded in 2022 that ignorance and intolerance continue fueling perceptions about their communities. In recent weeks, a hostage standoff in Texas, vandalism at two Chicago synagogues, flyers with anti-Semitic language being distributed in several states and even "The View" host Whoopi Goldberg's comments on the Holocaust have made Jewish people more vigilant and highlighted a "growing crisis" in the United States, experts and Jewish advocates said.
As a Holocaust survivor, I'm deeply saddened by Whoopi Goldberg's 'careless' words
As a Holocaust survivor, I'm deeply saddened by Whoopi Goldberg's 'careless' words
"You see anti-Semitism coming at Jews from all sides," said Jonathan Greenblatt, the CEO of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL). "It is really dizzying for our community, and it's a growing crisis for the country."

Anti-Semitism persists nearly 80 years after an estimated six million Jewish people and five million others were killed as a result of the Nazis' racist ideology during the Holocaust. Anti-Semitic incidents in the US have been on the rise for years, with 941 incidents in 2015 and 2024 incidents tracked in 2020 by the ADL.
"These issues are happening in our houses of worship, and in the supermarkets where we shop and in the communities where we live," said Greenblatt, adding that in-person incidents are only a portion of the hate, compared to the threats and harassment that happen online and is "a tremendous problem."

A 'worrying lack of basic Holocaust knowledge'​

"

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing this Daisy. I have shared my thoughts about anti semitism before. Anti Semitism never went away. It is always either just beneath the surface everywhere or, as has been happening all over the world, more overt in nature. It is, IMO, the last acceptable prejudice and people don't even realize it. Unless one is jewish and aware. Which I am.

So many dismiss it, deny it, refuse to see it. It is a heartbreaking and evil reality.

"Most people do not realize that Jews make up just 2 percent of the U.S. population and 0.2 percent of the world’s population. This means simply finding them takes a lot of effort. But every year in Western countries, including America, Jews are the No. 1 target of anti-religious hate crimes."

"At the same time, because this expression of anti-Jewish prejudice is so different from other forms of bigotry, many people don’t recognize it. As in Texas, law-enforcement officials overlook it. Social-media companies ignore it. Anti-racism activists—who understand racism as prejudice wielded by the powerful—cannot grasp it, because anti-Semitism constructs its Jewish targets as the privileged and powerful."

"“Anti-Semitism has real impact beyond just hate crimes,” the civil-rights activist Eric Ward once told me. “It distorts our understanding of how the actual world works."

"The rise of anti-Semitism is a sign of widespread social and cultural failure,” Mead writes. “It is a leading indicator of a loss of faith in liberal values and of a diminished capacity to understand the modern world and to thrive in it.”"

"
Michael Igel had listened to his grandparents' memories of the Holocaust for years when as a tween, he first confronted a friend who had a swastika drawn on his shoe. At that moment, he quickly realized the atrocities his family survived were unknown to many.

Decades after that encounter, Igel and many other Jewish people in America are reminded in 2022 that ignorance and intolerance continue fueling perceptions about their communities. In recent weeks, a hostage standoff in Texas, vandalism at two Chicago synagogues, flyers with anti-Semitic language being distributed in several states and even "The View" host Whoopi Goldberg's comments on the Holocaust have made Jewish people more vigilant and highlighted a "growing crisis" in the United States, experts and Jewish advocates said.
"You see anti-Semitism coming at Jews from all sides," said Jonathan Greenblatt, the CEO of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL). "It is really dizzying for our community, and it's a growing crisis for the country."

Anti-Semitism persists nearly 80 years after an estimated six million Jewish people and five million others were killed as a result of the Nazis' racist ideology during the Holocaust. Anti-Semitic incidents in the US have been on the rise for years, with 941 incidents in 2015 and 2024 incidents tracked in 2020 by the ADL.
"These issues are happening in our houses of worship, and in the supermarkets where we shop and in the communities where we live," said Greenblatt, adding that in-person incidents are only a portion of the hate, compared to the threats and harassment that happen online and is "a tremendous problem."

A 'worrying lack of basic Holocaust knowledge'​

"

Oh Missy
of all the horrible things ive seen on the news this morning this is what has made me cry
i promise to never not see anti semitism
I just do not understand how anyone can think like that even on the most casual level
I also no not understand how people can be ignorant of the holocaust

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My father was in WWII Europe. I grew up hearing his eye witness accounts of freed holocaust survivors in Germany and Poland.

We must never forget!

It sounds to be now that along with never forgetting, we need to start talking about it again
Because it would seem some people do not even know to then never forget :cry2:

i know there a lot of very good (heartbreaking) offerings on Netflix right now

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
thoughts on this utter BS ?
i usually ingnore this partilur indervidual as i dont like rap and i dont watch reality tv but i came across this reading something else
what is with the hate on the jews ? :angryfire:
it is not ok :angryfire:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
and alot closer to home
down on the west coast (Of the South Island)
and the police seem to have really stuffed up on this one
1666222921172.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
just a revolting human being

Like that orange guy, he is simply meeting the needs of a massive masses of revolting members of the public.

I used to blame TV for the decomposition of society.
Now I also blame social media.

Kill your TV.
Kill social media.
They are poison.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like that orange guy, he is simply meeting the needs of a massive masses of revolting members of the public.

I used to blame TV for the decomposition of society.
Now I also blame social media.

Kill your TV.
Kill social media.
They are poison.

I am not going to rationalize any offensive, abusive, hateful and revolting behavior.

People need to accept responsibility for their actions. And I am pleased to see Adidas, Peloton, Balenciaga, among others are ending their relationship with him. His actions, words and behavior are unacceptable and there are no excuses IMO.

Is he mentally ill? Perhaps. Was Hitler mentally ill? Perhaps. Are all the white supremacists mentally ill? Are all those who hate people for just being a different color, religion, sexual identity, gender etc mentally ill? I don't know. There is no cure for that kind of illness IMO.

And, in any case, it doesn't give them a pass. But I am not a psychiatrist so will refrain from making a medical diagnosis about his mental state.

Suffice to say any kind of hate against someone else because they are different is not OK. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results