shape
carat
color
clarity

Anti-flip tricks? Marquise bezel single station bracelet.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Hi good peeps of PS, I am looking to have an antique-style 0.7ct marquise set into a single station bezel chain bracelet.

My question is around flipping.

1. Will a deeper bezel (like the one on the pictured amethyst help to reduce it? My stone is 8.8mm x 4.4mm x 2.9mm, so it isn't super deep but reasonably sizable for a bezel on a bracelet.

6x3mm-aa-amethyst-yellow-gold-bracelet_2.jpg

2. On my 5.75" wrist, what length should the bracelet be? 6"? I am assuming that if it's tighter to the wrist it will possibly flip (and rotate around my wrist) less?

3. Does the orientation of the rings that attach bezel to chain make any difference? Eg this diamond one below - the rings are set perpendicular to the bezel. Would setting them lower on the bezel also help?

1711691042-brc-bezel-solitaire-bracelet-marquise-0-25-cts-detail-white.jpg 1711691050-brcc-bezel-solitaire-bracelet-marquise-0-25-cts-detail-white.jpg

Help much appreciated!

Last edited:

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Would a basket setting like this flip less?
Screenshot_20240409-075518.png Screenshot_20240409-075438~2.png
Would a double chain help?
Screenshot_20240409-083459.png

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gave up on that kind of bracelet because they were always upside down.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @pancake , I have both a single-station and multi-station bezel set bracelet (all <0.5ct MRBs), and sadly I have to agree with the experience above - flipping is gonna happen.

Your ideas make sense but won’t prevent the occasional flip. I tried something similar: had wider bezels, sized it relatively tight on my wrist, but over time, found the small size uncomfortable (my multi station was 15.3cm vs a 14.5cm wrist) and realised that I can’t cope with a bracelet that flips, so sadly they don’t get worn much. I created a thread about my multi-station bracelet if you want to check that out.

Actually, I’ve been thinking about resetting the multi-station bracelet into a bangle or reusing the stones for a ring, as it pains me that it gets so little wear.

I think this is a case of ymmv though - some people are okay with flipping and others not so much.

IMG_2095.jpeg
IMG_1980.jpeg
IMG_5575.jpeg
(The Bvlgari pieces are not mine - was trying them on!)

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience the only way to avoid flipping is a bangle. A chain will always flip and fiddle around. I kept the stones in my DBTY chain small so I wouldn't care when they flip.

Thank you - this is exactly the conclusion I've come to, so a bangle (and the increased price of gold, gulp) it is!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I was also going to suggest bangle. Grace of JBG used to make these regularly and I haven’t seen many in years, though I have some photos saved. Just a few. Because I’m low key obsessed with these bangles for some reason.

IMG_6350.jpeg
IMG_6351.jpeg

Fortekitty (it won’t let me tag her) also has a beautiful solitaire bangle, as does @goldenfire (this one’s goldenfire’s):

IMG_6354.png

This one is @nala ‘s and is a marquise!

IMG_6353.png

One more, I think from @susimoo (the photo that started me down this path of bangle obsession)

IMG_6352.png

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, I’ve been thinking about resetting the multi-station bracelet into a bangle or reusing the stones for a ring, as it pains me that it gets so little wear.
Thanks for the information, as I was about to design a bracelet, which similar to yours. I loved the design, but constant flipping would drive me nuts! :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was also going to suggest bangle. Grace of JBG used to make these regularly and I haven’t seen many in years, though I have some photos saved. Just a few. Because I’m low key obsessed with these bangles for some reason.

IMG_6350.jpeg
IMG_6351.jpeg

Fortekitty (it won’t let me tag her) also has a beautiful solitaire bangle, as does @goldenfire (this one’s goldenfire’s):

IMG_6354.png

This one is @nala ‘s and is a marquise!

IMG_6353.png

One more, I think from @susimoo (the photo that started me down this path of bangle obsession)

IMG_6352.png

Wonder why she doesn’t make them anymore? Seems they were very popular. I guess lots of benches can make them though - bezel set the diamond and make the bracelet out of thicker wire. I think they are very pretty!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Instead of connecting the bezel to the pointed ends, drilled a hole through the bezel part way up from the points and put the chain through the bezel so it can not only slide to stay centered if the chain rotates around your neck a bit, but also tends to not flip since it weighs more on the bottom side below the chain. The bezel needs to be tall enough to make a sufficient hole for the chain while not having the chain abrade the gemstone or not slide easily due to proximity of the gem's pavilion.

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Haven't read all the way thru this so you may already have considered this, 20240413_180528.jpg but how about a custom bangle? I needed to shorten my tennis bracelet and considered making a chain braclet with the extra links/diamonds but I knew that flipping would drive me bonkers. So my jeweler took off the extra pieces and attached them to a custom fit bangle that is open at the back. So it fit me exactly but also is slightly flexible or adjustable in size, there's no clasp to fuss with, and it's oval, so it never turns over on my wrist. Just a thought =)2

Attachments

• 20240413_180704.jpg
    20240413_180704.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240413_180335.jpg
    20240413_180335.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240413_182028.jpg
    20240413_182028.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results