shape
carat
color
clarity

Another "which one" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think it all just depends. Would I sacrifice such a tiny difference in size for an "ideal" cut? Absolutely, now that I've seen what mine does in practically any light. Would I have before I found PS? I don't know.

Did you like the amount of sparkle that came from the diamond you saw? Did you see it in several different types of light, or only in the "jewelry" light from the store? What pleases your eye is the most important thing.
9.gif

ETA: If you ask GOG about the .826, be sure to inquire about the Idealscope. I'm not really used to looking at ISes for princess stones. Light leaks from different places in different shapes. I'm sure Rhino will let you know if it's well performing or not!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2006 1:19:07 PM
Author: february2003bride
''If you are infact interested in a Princess or Cushion cut stone ... and want to pay an inflated price, and not get as much for your money, and possibly not get the most sparkle for your Moo-la, then proceed with BN.''

Whoa Darlin'' Joy- have you actually worked with Blue Nile or bought anything from them?
29.gif
Their stones and prices are just as competitively priced as WF or GOG. We bought my e-ring and diamond wedding band from BN in November 2002 and took it to Martin Fuller to be appraised. He said that the stones he had appraised from BN for clients were all wonderful and he''d heard nothing but good customer service comments from people he had seen. BN is not inflated, especially compared to other online diamond sites and B&M stores, and to say that her stone wouldn''t sparkle is blantantly false! I could go buy a stone from WF tomorrow and it might not sparkly. A ''name'' doesn''t make a diamond sparkle, the CUT does and last time I checked Blue Nile, they had ideal and very good cut diamonds up the ying yang.

Carrie
Hi Carrie,

I hope you have a wonderful day, and I also would like to extend an olive branch here ...

It appears that my personal opinion and comment above didn''t sit easy with, ... sorry.

The answer to your question is "Yes".

My post was just my personal opinion, feelings and experiences with BN. I am sure that there are some people that have had a superior experience with them, and those customers are very happy ... I am happy for them.
36.gif

I am happy for you that your experience was wonderful as well.
36.gif
I am happy to hear the positives and the negatives about any vendor, or establishment. I don''t expect you to agree, or anyone else for the matter, just my personal input & experience, and it wasn''t meant to flame anyone
29.gif
, also, thanks for posting your postive experience with BN for Xchick!

As for my comment, I still stand by it, again, just my personal experience.

XCHick ...

I really do wish you "best wishes" and "good luck" in your search for the perfect diamond for you, one that will sing to you!
21.gif

Have a great weekend to all.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/3/2006 12:08:47 AM
Author: XChick03
Okay, I am stuck between two princess cuts again. Surprisingly, I found these at a local jewelers for a very reasonable price. It was a small family owned place I''d never heard but was recommened to me by a friend. The owner was there and I told him what I was looking for. He spent a lot of time with me and explained a lot and he showed me these two. He also gave me a copy of the GIA certificates so I could come home and look them over. I''m pretty sure I want the first one, I just want to make sure there isn''t something wrong with it I missed.

#1-
1.01 ct.
F/S12 (eye clean)
Depth: 67.3%
Table: 75%
Polish: Good
Sym: Good
5.68x5.60x3.77

.85 ct.
G/SI1 (also eye clean)
Depth: 68.4%
Table: 70%
Polish: Very good
Symmetry: Good
5.38x5.35x3.66 mm

ETA: You know, I must be blind. I just noticed this! Thank you, EBree, for posting that one, its a very pretty stone and in my price range. It''s smaller than what I''d like, but I am willing to go down for a really good stone and one the ones I just posted is a .85.

Do you think its better than the two I''ve just listed? The only thing is that I''ve seen the other two in person and I love them both, the first is slightly more sparkly. But from all the good things I''ve heard about GOG, I''d trust them also. Very interested in your opinions!
Recent studies and the resulting princess-cut-grade by AGS show that the best AGS-cuts have a much higher depth than these two. From experience in cutting princess-cuts to AGS-0, I can tell you that both these stones are too shallow to be top performers. On top of that, if polish and symmetry only get a grade of good, you better be careful, since it is a clear sign that the cutter did not pay attention to details on finish, so why should you expect him to pay attention to light performance.

Live long,

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/3/2006 12:32:52 AM
You are so helpful!
1.gif

I looked up a chart for table/depth in princess cuts, and you''re right. Its not the best, but its still in the ''Very good'' category. The second falls into the ''ideal'' category, but I''m confused because this chart shows like 5 different categories. I thought there was only ideal, premium (or very good), good and fair. Am I wrong on this?
33.gif

The chart is here

Should I reconsider the first because of that?
Such charts for princess-cuts have become obsolete since the introduction last year of the AGS-grading of princess-cuts. Especially on the field of depth, one cannot rely at all on these charts.

Live long,

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2006 5:04:23 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Recent studies and the resulting princess-cut-grade by AGS show that the best AGS-cuts have a much higher depth than these two. From experience in cutting princess-cuts to AGS-0, I can tell you that both these stones are too shallow to be top performers. On top of that, if polish and symmetry only get a grade of good, you better be careful, since it is a clear sign that the cutter did not pay attention to details on finish, so why should you expect him to pay attention to light performance.

Live long,
Paul,
Thanks for posting this information, I know it well help many!
You make a good point re: the cutter.

Take care,
35.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2006 12:08:47 AM

I just noticed this!

Do you think its better than the two I've just listed?
I don't know what the two 'locals' look like, but there is certainly enough detail available about the one at GOG to show what can do
9.gif
You could always call it in (there is a return period) and compare 'on the ground'.

And there's this D-Si1 about the same price and size as the one at GoodOldGold, with cut quality described via IdealScope. Not AGS0.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
You all have been so great, I am so happy I found this place!

Paul- thanks for that info. I was under the impression that too much depth was bad. Though, I think most of the information I''ve read is regarding RBs. I''m glad I know better now. I also thought polish and symmetry didn''t matter a great deal as long it was at least "good." I think I read that in another thread here somewhere.

EBree and Ana, you have certainly given me a lot to think about. The one on GOG is definitely growing on me, I just look how it looks in the picure, but the ones I saw yesterday were very pretty. The first one sparkled more and I like that the color is really good. I think its going to come down to the first one I saw or the one on GOG.

I think I''m going back to the jewelers today and have another look, maybe I''ll notice something today I didn''t yesterday. Decisions, decisions....
20.gif

Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results