shape
carat
color
clarity

Another "What do you think" question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lisa B.

Rough_Rock
Good Morning,

I know that you all "love" it when people ask for opinions after the fact; however, I can do something about this if need be...This was a gift from my husband for X-mas. We were engaged 5 years ago this Christmas, and we couldn''t afford much at that time. He surprised me with an identical upgrade of my original ring...a RB center stone (1.03) with round sapphires (1.06 tcw) on either side, and it looks beautiful, however, the numbers are a little off and I am afraid that I have a 1.03 diamond that looks much smaller...what do you all think...

HRD cert

Weight 1.03
Clarity Vs1
Fluorescence slight
Color F
Measurements 6.34-6.41mm * 4.04mm
Proportions Very Good
Girdle 4.5% faceted
Culet Pointed
Table Width 58%
Cr. Height 16%
Pav. Depth 43.5
Finish grade Very good

Again, the diamond is BEAUTIFUL to look at, I''m just wondering if he got taken...He actually went to Boston to the diamond district and hand picked all of the stones.

He paid $6600.00 for the diamond...$7600 for the entire ring with the Sapphires, 18k band and 950 plat heads.

Thanks so much for your insight,

Lisa

I''m going to try and post a picture of the ring...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
If you think the diamond is beautiful, and he feels happy with that he paid for the ring, then he didn't get taken.

Wear it in good health.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The center stone was not a bargain... at least not when compared to internet, non-premium cuts. The setting seems to have been agressively priced though. At most, it could have been something like 6.6 mm diameter, without getting "shallow". Not sure wether the 0.3mm is extremely important, and getting a shallower stone (with bigger diameter) and nice light return will be quite a search in the hay stack.

By these number and the HCA criteria, there is room for improving light return in this stone (it gets a score of 4.2 on a 10 scale, where cuts below 2 are what the usual Pricescope gang considers top). All in all, the cut of this piece should be rather average (while most "commercial" quality stones are worse). These being said, one can say only that much seing a few % and not the stone: you do have the diamond on hand and that is by no means small or ugly! C'mon, color, clarity are top, cut better than one would expect from most stores and size the sweet treat most e-ring buyers dream of (the dreaded 1ct bounadry
10.gif
). Congratulations!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hello Lisa! What a nice surprise you got this year!!
1.gif

Now, to answer your questions...

HRD cert This is a nice place to start.
1.gif
HRD is very strict and consistent.

Weight 1.03
Clarity Vs1 great!
Fluorescence slight Nothing to worry about. Its impact is less than negligible
Color F HRD is usually stricter than GIA on high colors, so you may have a GIA E-color
2.gif
9.gif

Measurements 6.34-6.41mm * 4.04mm This equals to a 63.3% depth. It's more than what I'd like to see, but nothing dramatic. Let's say it looks like an ideally cut 0.95-97cts.
Proportions Very Good Nice
Girdle 4.5% faceted This usually equals to 'medium to thick faceted', so this is one reason the stone looks a tad smaller
Culet Pointed This means 'none'
Table Width 58% Great!
Cr. Height 16% Good... The crown is a little steep, considering the 58% table
Pav. Depth 43.5 Nice
Finish grade Very good Great

Again, the diamond is BEAUTIFUL to look at, I'm just wondering if he got taken...He actually went to Boston to the diamond district and hand picked all of the stones.
You seem to be very happy about what he picked. This is all that matters. He got a nice stone, not ideal. It scores a 4.1 on the HCA. But this score isn't accurate since we're using rounded numbers... So it may be a 3 as well as a 5.
Again, we're not talking about an ideal make, but this is still well above average. Also, is doesn't look too small for its weight. It's almost 6.4mm and most commercial 1caraters are about 6.2-6.3mm. So it's not too bad
1.gif

He paid $6600.00 for the diamond...$7600 for the entire ring with the Sapphires, 18k band and 950 plat heads.
You can find a similar stone on the net at about $5.7K. Since he bought locally, he did pretty well... It's normal that B&M stores have higher charges.
The diamond+ring package looks pretty reasonable to me, especially since he got 18Kt gold and platinum, opposed to 14Kt gold.
So, to sum up: he got a nice stone, paid a good price and made you happy! Can you desire anything else?
9.gif

Happy new year!
1.gif
wavey.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like a beautiful ring! I'm in the process of having a 3 stone ring made with sapphire side diamonds too. The experts here can tell you how good the "make" is on your center stone, but even if it's not a perfect make, it sounds like your husband went to a lot of trouble to get this ring made for you. I'd think that there must be a lot of sentimental value in him surprising you like this and hand selecting the stones, and it would probably hurt his feelings if you told him that the diamond is not ideal. It's definitely a wonderful color and clarity. Enjoy it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lisa, as the others noted, the center stone is not an ideal and it will look smaller than 1c, but it may be a good make and you say it looks 'BEAUTIFUL', so why worry about it?
2.gif
You say you still have time to do something about it but do you really? Men are sensitive creatures and I know my guy's feelings would be hurt if I took apart a ring he had made for me to get a better center stone. Or maybe he is the one pushing you to find out if he did good, who knows. Yes you could probably get a better deal on a better cut stone online. But is it really worth it to you? What are your thoughts now that you have this additional information?

Lisa B.

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

THANKS SOOOOO MUCH for all of this info. My husband was actually the one to ask me to find out a little more about it, he made sure that we could change it if need be, but from what everyone is saying I'm going to stay with the one he picked out for me. I so appreciate everyone's feedback on this site, everyone is encouraging and knowledgeable and so eager to help!

On an even brighter side, he had asked for my original ring, which was a .23 with .36 CTW of sapphires and had it made into a necklace for me, so I could wear the original stone "close to my heart"...sometimes he really can surprise me, he's typically not the most romantic person!

Thanks again everyone, I'm going to continue lurking on this site; I love reading up on all the info people post!

Lisa

Patty

Ideal_Rock
On an even brighter side, he had asked for my original ring, which was a .23 with .36 CTW of sapphires and had it made into a necklace for me, so I could wear the original stone "close to my heart"...sometimes he really can surprise me, he's typically not the most romantic person!

Awwwww!
16.gif

Lisa B.

Rough_Rock
Update...

After I decided to keep the diamond my husband gave to me for Christmas, he decided we should trade it in for something a little bigger and a little better score on the HCA...I knew I married the right guy! Here's what we ended up with.

GIA

RB
1.22 carat
meas: 6.86-6.92*4.21
Depth: 61%
Table: 56.5%
Girdle: medium, faceted
Culet: none
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very good
Clarity: SI1 (eye clean!)
Color: E
Fluorescence: none

Sarin

1.22 c
diameter: 6.91
crown angle: 34.5
Pavil Angle: 40.4
culet: 1.0%
Table: 57.3
Total Depth: 60.6
Girdle Thick %: .7-1.9

I think we did better the second time around! Thanks for the information that everyone posts here, we appreciate it so much!!

I'll post pictures as soon as the ring is delivered!

Lisa

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
What a guy! He sounds like a keeper.
2.gif

Your new stone sounds beautiful. Wear is in good health, and for the sake of this picture hungry board, post some pictures of both the new ring and the new/old necklace!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wrong thread ?
eek.gif
never mind...

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Whoo Hoo Lisa! I can't wait to see it.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good Job picking the 2nd stone..Can't wait to see the pic's...Congrat's
wavey.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
it is not a bad stone and the price is right ,But I usually recommend to have at least 6.40-6.50mm.one cararters should actually have a spread fo 6.50MM
but this one is not bad ,enjoy it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The new 1.22c stone sounds excellent Lisa! Way to go hubby!
1.gif
Wear it in great health and enjoy!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Excellent stone & husband!
9.gif
appl.gif

Lisa B.

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I am just so excited to receive my ring...who knew that up until Christmas I didn't think twice about my original .23 carat engagement ring, and now I am OBSESSED! Now I can’t stop thinking about earrings
love.gif
I will post pictures as soon as I receive my new "bauble"!

Thanks again!

Lisa

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/11/2004 1:38:01 PM Lisa B. wrote:

........ now I am OBSESSED! Now I can’t stop thinking about earrings
love.gif
----------------

HA! This has happened to me, too. I've gotten this GORGEOUS stone....and of course, my off-the-maul-shelf studs look like total ka-ka. I keep saying.....HMMMMMMMMMM????? Earrings?!?!?!!?!? I WANT them.

hehehehee

11.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
we all want earrings......
naughty.gif
9.gif
naughty.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Put me on the stud list too...
1.gif

Lisa B.

Rough_Rock
I'm so glad that I am not the only wanter out there! Jennifer5973, you were speaking of earrings when you referred to "studs" weren't you??
9.gif
hee, hee, hee...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmmm earrings.

Mine are very well cut actually for earrings, but it doesn't stop me from wanting some super duper louper H&A cuts at some point.
2.gif

Dreaming is free, right?
rolleyes.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/11/2004 9:59:31 PM Mara wrote:

Dreaming is free, right?
rolleyes.gif

----------------

until the goverment finds a way to tax it anyway.

Congrates! cant wait to see pictures (hint hint)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results