shape
carat
color
clarity

Another WF Hearts & Arrows Viewer Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Someone else posted a topic about the WF Hearts & Arrows viewer. I was glad to read it because I didn''t know how to use mine. Now I have another question. Unfortunately my .5 carat diamonds are set, so I can''t view the hearts pattern, but I was able to center the posts in the depression in the black thingy enough to see the arrows pattern.

I have always liked one of the diamonds very much. The other diamond, though better than the usual fare, has never measured up to its partner although it has the same color, size and clarity grading and is also an ACA. I always assumed that maybe it was less attractive because the table is smaller, but, now that I can see it through the H&A viewer, I see that some of the arrows are covered by prongs. In the "nice" diamond they are not.

Does this make a difference in how the diamond appears? Should I have the one re-set so that the prongs don''t cover arrows, and will that make a discernable difference in viewing it?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I am really fussy
2.gif
and whenever I have any stone set, I always ask that none of the arrow tips be covered by prongs. Personally, I think it makes a very big difference in appearance. I am also a stickler for wanting the table placed parallel to the band, if possible. And the girdle inscription exposed.
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
Sometimes it may not be possible for a setter to accomplish ALL of those, but it is always worth asking about (IMHO)! It always surprises me, but apparently these are not things that a setter routinely thinks about!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock

Ah. The arrows question.

1.gif

Date: 4/7/2006 4:35:13 PM
Author: Lynn B

It always surprises me, but apparently these are not things that a setter routinely thinks about!
Lynn speaks the truth. Away from Pricescope, where optical symmetry is typically less distinct and diamonds aren’t shown at 40x, orientation is not much discussed. But in our PS world, magnified photos and uncommonly good optical symmetry have spawned interest in it. In fact, jewelers new to this idiom undergo a learning curve to understand that positioning of the 'arrows' relative to prongs is something that some of our clients will be scrutinizing (we give them that chapter right after the one where we tell the smiths their hand-crafting will be photo'd from every angle, blown up and photoshopped for thousands of ppl to review).
2.gif

Typical setting priorities include durability factors, keeping inscriptions visible, placement of prongs to hide inclusions (if any), etc. 'Arrow' orientation is not a priority in everyday situations. Think about it: How often away from PS do you see someone else's diamond photo’d at 40x? When was the last time, away from PS, someone asked if your arrows were lined up with your prongs?

The placement of the prongs does not make a difference in the diamond’s performance. The majority of performance occurs under the table. The girdle area is not where primary light performance is taking place and a well set diamond with appropriate prongs performs well regardless of orientation.

Orientation has become a matter of aesthetics to some diamond wearers (and mentally it can make a difference), which we respect. If it is important to you, it should be specifically requested. That way it will go into the notes for the setter.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Positioning:

In the past we’ve had specific requests from detail-oriented clients to orient the arrows. Some like the arrow tips and prongs lined up N-S. Other like the arrow tips offset.

With a standard RB the number of prongs determines what arrow tips are covered, if any. In the N-S position either 2 or 4 tips will be covered (in different positions on the 'clock' of the diamond). In the offset position none are covered. Some of our veteran setters may take it upon themselves to do one orientation or the other, but keeping the inscription visible and other priorities take precedence if an orientation is not specifically requested.

DetailedProngsAndArrows.jpg

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for explaining this. Well, so the prongs covering the arrows do not affect performance. Well, there must be some other reason this diamond doesn''t do it for me. I guess I will have to get on your website and find an upgrade so I can send it back
28.gif
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results