shape
carat
color
clarity

Another washer dryer thread

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had hard water and soft... I'm not sure which one I like more.. but I know maybe you could try the old school CALGON :) it may help before you buy another washer. Sorry.. the other end is 1/2 the time you cook with soft water you are getting a lot of sodium.. If you would, update when you make your decision. Good luck..

Ugh it's likely from hard water. So annoying!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not mean to thread Jack but am considering a new washing machine because for some insane reason ours puts these weird white streaks on black clothes. Does anyone else experience this? We have a cold water only washing machine bc it's more environmentally friendly, and I have tried every cycle type, using less detergent, more detergent, different detergent, etc, to no avail. We still get what looks like streaks of white dried detergent on our black clothes. It drives me insane, but I dont want to get a new washer just to have the same problem. Any tips? Or is this just somehow a problem with cold only washing machines?

Ugh that is annoying I am sorry. Did you try googling the issue and the machine to see if anyone else has been dealing with this?

Ugh it's likely from hard water. So annoying!!!

Can you get a whole house water softener?
Hope you can figure it out and fix the issue.

Any of the washer dryer sets on sale at Costco catch your eye?

They are out of the ones I want unfortunately but the price isn't even cheaper anyway if we can get the Jul 4th sale. The place we are ordering from is closed on Saturday and we have to speak with someone there to ask a few questions because it isn't clear what we might need additionally so we have to wait.

We love a costco sale!

Yeah we do.:cool2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Thanks for this thread sorry about the reason why, but I understand why you want the features you do.

You know we are building the house so I am going to be looking for new washer and dryer. M&C just bought whatever was the cheapest on sale combo at Costco, theirs is a top loader washer, have that here in this rental, sorta like it but reviews say they don't clean as well. Love the red! hope you can get that again, it's Missy :)

Thanks @Bayek it doesn't come in red anymore. I am disappointed but what can I do? For some reason they d/c the red color. It was the best color!

I am glad you know what you are getting for the new house. I like top loaders because they dont have to be kept open like the front loaders due to mildew etc. but I think we are getting a front loader just because it is easier on my back and also I think (I could be wrong) it cleans more thoroughly...but not sure about that. Mainly the first reason.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ihe other end is 1/2 the time you cook with soft water you are getting a lot of sodium.. If you would, update when you make your decision. Good luck..
Around here its common for filtered hard water to a third facet on the sink and fridge for drinking and cooking water.
Is that not common in other areas?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy You mentioned your allergies/skin issues ... and it was noted upthread about the Affresh tablets. I don’t mean to insult your intelligence, but it seems you may not be aware of them (?) so just asking: do you run any sort of cleaning product through your front-loader regularly? Or leave the door/drawers cracked between uses?

The reason I ask is I had a very similar front-loader W/D combo from LG (might have been the exact same one, actually). And I had an issue where there was mold/mildew build-up in places I could not see in the machine, even despite using those cleaning tablets & using the sanitizing cycles. I took the dispenser drawers out, and had to really regularly clean in the door seals, etc. It was disgusting and dangerous how much yuck was hiding in there, even after I began leaving the door & drawers open to air them out between uses. I finally gave up and bought a traditional top-loader that was still energy & water efficient, but did not experience the same problems with the mold/mildew hiding out.

I only share this because - having read you post about your other health concerns, I wonder if this might be something worth considering/researching as a potential exposure or cause for anything you have going on, especially skin-related.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @the_mother_thing yes we do clean the machines. My dh takes care of that. He’s a keeper ❤️

Appreciate your concern and double checking with me.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @the_mother_thing yes we do clean the machines. My dh takes care of that. He’s a keeper ❤

Appreciate your concern and double checking with me.

Glad to hear/read that.

If you love the red color of your current set, it may be possible to get the new set painted to match after-market. Sure, it’d cost a little extra, but if you really like it ... just a thought.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear/read that.

If you love the red color of your current set, it may be possible to get the new set painted to match after-market. Sure, it’d cost a little extra, but if you really like it ... just a thought.

Thanks @the_mother_thing ,I never considered that idea. It's not that important to me but it is a good suggestion if I had my heart set on a specific color. I just want whatever we end up purchasing to be reliable and do a decent job. Everytime I have to purchase a new appliance and start researching the options it becomes more involved than I thought it would be. You know, the paradox of choice.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Around here its common for filtered hard water to a third facet on the sink and fridge for drinking and cooking water.
Is that not common in other areas?

Hi @Karl_K, We have a whole house water filter that filters everything including the fridge water. It is effective.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @the_mother_thing ,I never considered that idea. It's not that important to me but it is a good suggestion if I had my heart set on a specific color. I just want whatever we end up purchasing to be reliable and do a decent job. Everytime I have to purchase a new appliance and start researching the options it becomes more involved than I thought it would be. You know, the paradox of choice.

Indeed ... I don’t envy this task you have!

Knowing you have sensitivity concerns, I wonder if it might be worth also cross-researching any forums that might also cater to people with allergies/sensitivities to see if there are any experiences (good or bad) with particular models they may know about/suggest. I don’t know of any forums like that to suggest, but knowing this might be more than just about ‘washing clothes’ for you, the thought crossed my mind. Good luck! :wavey:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love our set, no issues with seeing the display but I will say the washer on spin cycle is very loud. I’m not sure if it’s because we now have pedestals or what but it is distracting. The clothes come out very clean and very dry straight out of the washer, the dryer doesn’t have to use nearly the same energy as out 12 year old LG dryer which is nice

2BBB0AB1-00DD-4AA8-A839-2F17C26206ED.jpeg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best washer and dryer ever made. Our two Maytag machines (made in the US) are 33 yrs old and still cranking strong. No LED screens to burn out just simple round dials.

IMG_1241.jpg IMG_1243.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not mean to thread Jack but am considering a new washing machine because for some insane reason ours puts these weird white streaks on black clothes. Does anyone else experience this? We have a cold water only washing machine bc it's more environmentally friendly, and I have tried every cycle type, using less detergent, more detergent, different detergent, etc, to no avail. We still get what looks like streaks of white dried detergent on our black clothes. It drives me insane, but I dont want to get a new washer just to have the same problem. Any tips? Or is this just somehow a problem with cold only washing machines?

I have a bottle of washing liquid esoecially for black clothes, if you lived next door id pass it over the fence to you

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The best washer and dryer ever made. Our two Maytag machines (made in the US) are 33 yrs old and still cranking strong. No LED screens to burn out just simple round dials.

Our old one waa about 40 years old, washed in 20 min and possibly beat the dirt out of the clothes

the next one played the national anthem (im not kidding, its in there for demonstrations) it was so fancy
Had to replace the fancy screen after a couple of years

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy Thanks for this thread sorry about the reason why, but I understand why you want the features you do.

You know we are building the house so I am going to be looking for new washer and dryer. M&C just bought whatever was the cheapest on sale combo at Costco, theirs is a top loader washer, have that here in this rental, sorta like it but reviews say they don't clean as well. Love the red! hope you can get that again, it's Missy :)

Top loaders clean just fine
and they take less time
they might take a bit more water but depending on where you live that might not be a problem

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMO, The fancier they are the more problem.

This one is now almost 15 years old and has had 2 repairs and needs another as one of the inlets doesn't work but that's completly out of the budget right now -meanwhile i just do cold washes and dry the clothes on the line in the sun - that's how to get clothes white !
It cost about 3 weeks wages when we brought it and was then the fanciest thing i had ever owned !!

I would be kidding myself to think the next one will do as well

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed ... I don’t envy this task you have!

Knowing you have sensitivity concerns, I wonder if it might be worth also cross-researching any forums that might also cater to people with allergies/sensitivities to see if there are any experiences (good or bad) with particular models they may know about/suggest. I don’t know of any forums like that to suggest, but knowing this might be more than just about ‘washing clothes’ for you, the thought crossed my mind. Good luck! :wavey:

Appreciate the advice. I am pretty good with what we have now and the way I do the wash. I (hope I am not jinxin

Agreed. They don't make washers and dryers like these anymore.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love our set, no issues with seeing the display but I will say the washer on spin cycle is very loud. I’m not sure if it’s because we now have pedestals or what but it is distracting. The clothes come out very clean and very dry straight out of the washer, the dryer doesn’t have to use nearly the same energy as out 12 year old LG dryer which is nice

2BBB0AB1-00DD-4AA8-A839-2F17C26206ED.jpeg

Thanks @KKJohnson, what model number are these?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my house came with Samsung Washer and Dryer. I only know that it was at the time the top of the line front loaders. No issues with them. I do a drum clean roughly every 20 washes?(whatever it buzzes me for) I put in a cup of bleach for the clean cycle which is 4 hours long and that really helps a lot. Also leave the door ajar after each wash.

White residue is either lime scale or, too much detergent. filtration for my home as we have hard water (a basic filters that can be put on the main incoming which will help to reduce scale and metals coming into the home. Most of the basic one stage ones cost less than 80 dollars on the initial cost, the ongoing cost is the filter however.)

Now he on the other hand has a Miele (scratch and dent, barely any scratches though!) certainly get what works for you. I think his is smaller than mine but cost more.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Did you get your new set? I'm having to quickly come up with a decision myself, but looking through reviews there seems to be 1 star reviews on every single possibility. Did you get the LG Wm3900?

I'm also considering Electrolux.

No one is shipping until into August and September here. No in house deliveries anymore either. Just basically driveway. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Did you get your new set? I'm having to quickly come up with a decision myself, but looking through reviews there seems to be 1 star reviews on every single possibility. Did you get the LG Wm3900?

I'm also considering Electrolux.

No one is shipping until into August and September here. No in house deliveries anymore either. Just basically driveway. :(

Ugh that sucks. I'm sorry @lyra :(

I haven't bought the new set yet. But when we do it will most likely be the LG 3900.

The reason I decided to wait is that my DH read how to fix the issue we are having and he ordered the parts he needs and we will see if that works. The dryer is working but making a squeaky noise and Greg thinks it is the ball bearing wearing out and that he can fix it. We shall see. If we have to replace the dryer I am also replacing the washing machine though knock wood that is working A OK. Both washer and dryer are about 13 years old or so.

We got the new parts we ordered to do the fix a week or two ago but there hasn't been enough time for him to see if he can fix it. I will keep you via this thread posted when we do purchase a new one.

Good luck with your purchase. I cannot imagine having to bring it in the house ourselves and up the stairs and installing it ourselves too. I hope it goes more smoothly than you think it will. Crazy times.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After reading tons of reviews on every brand, I think it's all just a roll of the dice. Something wrong with every single set I've looked at. I wish my old ones were more reliable. We're going to try one more washer fix before we have to buy new.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After reading tons of reviews on every brand, I think it's all just a roll of the dice. Something wrong with every single set I've looked at. I wish my old ones were more reliable. We're going to try one more washer fix before we have to buy new.

Exactly. Reading the negative reviews made that crystal clear. That is why I hope Greg can fix the dryer. Good luck for your fix too!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a bit of (hopefully) helpful advice for you, @missy, if/when you get a new washer, or for others in the thread who have newer machines: we were told by the repairman that diagnosed our last washer and helped us choose and install our newest one that the newer high-efficiency machines need much less detergent than the older ones. He said that the "recommended detergent levels" indicated by lines on the bottle cap are way too much; he said that, for a large load, the lowest line is plenty, and even less for small or medium loads. (I found an article that said to use only 1-2 teaspoons for a normal sized load.) Also, one should only use detergent meant for high-efficiency machines in them. He said that using more, or using detergent not meant for high-efficiency machines, will leave detergent residue in the clothes, encourage mold and "funk" in clothes and the machine, and actually damage the machine over time in a way that shortens its life, sometimes significantly. (He was telling us this because that was, indeed, the "cause of death" for the machine he diagnosed. I had been following the guidelines on the cap, not knowing any better.)

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a bit of (hopefully) helpful advice for you, @missy, if/when you get a new washer, or for others in the thread who have newer machines: we were told by the repairman that diagnosed our last washer and helped us choose and install our newest one that the newer high-efficiency machines need much less detergent than the older ones. He said that the "recommended detergent levels" indicated by lines on the bottle cap are way too much; he said that, for a large load, the lowest line is plenty, and even less for small or medium loads. (I found an article that said to use only 1-2 teaspoons for a normal sized load.) Also, one should only use detergent meant for high-efficiency machines in them. He said that using more, or using detergent not meant for high-efficiency machines, will leave detergent residue in the clothes, encourage mold and "funk" in clothes and the machine, and actually damage the machine over time in a way that shortens its life, sometimes significantly. (He was telling us this because that was, indeed, the "cause of death" for the machine he diagnosed. I had been following the guidelines on the cap, not knowing any better.)

Wow! 1-2 teaspoons! I might have to try that with the clothes tomorrow

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results