shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Small Paraiba Ring in the works...

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to resist, I REALLY did (damn PS lol). And this one IS my LAST paraiba ...unless I win the lottery :angel:

After kicking myself for missing out on Yvonne's (Cecile Raley Designs) Tucson trip as I debated, she knew I was looking so was thrilled that she remembered me when a customer (mochiko?) decided to return one. I haven't seen it (I totally trust her eye) but here is a picture she took with my pink spinels.

stones_7.jpg

The paraiba is small (5.3mm) and finger coverage is important for my large (size 8) fingers.

Concerned that the pink spinel would overwhelm the paraiba, I also found myself leaning towards something with diamonds to help break it up. I started with flower rings but then drifted towards other styles...before finally deciding to use this as an inspiration.

inspiration_5.jpg

But this didn't reflect Yvonne's style (which I love), we decided to add a scalloped millgrain edge along the outer edges. She also suggested adding paraiba melee on the outer edge might pull it all together.

I clearly don't have the computer (or hand) drawing skills others have but here is what I sent her after some back/forth:

inspiration_with_color.jpg

drawing_1.jpg

Not sure if you can see this...but here is the scale drawing of the option we both decided to go with

hand_drawing.jpg

Seeing Chrono's comments on another thread, I am again worried about the pink spinels will overwhelming the paraiba. Yvonne thinks the combination works and said we can break them up with some diamonds if its too much.

So now taking some final deep breaths (and remember how unsure I was the last time I did this and it ended up great) before we move on to CADs.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Can't wait to see this! :love: :love: :love: :love:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really are sweet lilysweet :)

And thank you for the support as I started to chicken out and delete my post lol

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hooray, so excited for you limosun! What a gorgeous stone and design...I can't wait to see this come to life! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stones and design Lilmosun :appl:
I am looking forward to see how the process evolves and to see the ring come to life. It will be stunning.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be great. I just wish we had a fast forward button...

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! I'm excited to see another paraiba and pink spinel project.

I am totally on board with your worry about the pink spinel overtaking the paraiba (Chrono posted that on my ring thread) but I really love the spinel and didn't want to sub in anything lighter. I guess we're both taking that risk. :errrr:

I love that you're adding in some paraiba melee. I really think that's going to pull the colors together so the pink will be less likely to cause you problems.

I can't wait to see this one come along. :D

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Lovely! did you say what metal you are planning to use? I believe Chrono's concerns were about rose gold ramping up the color of the pink spinels. I would think if you stay with platinum (I know Yvonne doesn't like white gold with paraibas as it's so hard) it will be gorgeous!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm IMO if you're going with a white metal, the pink will be fine. But of course, you had better love strong color contrast because you're really going to get it with this ring. remember they're pretty much opposite each other on the color wheel. If you don't REALLY want color contrast, go with diamonds instead of pink spinel.

Also if I'm looking at this right, the pinks will be larger (1.7-2mm??) I think if you go with pink, go smaller. They're going to be bright as it is.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone and yes, it will be in white gold. She mentioned PLT as another option but I said it would be out of budget. I should ask if she's concerned about the hardness. I am both excited and scared.

Admittedly in a bit of a panic since Arcadian has pinpointed my fear about the contrast being too much. But like elle, didn't want to give up the bright pink spinels (especially that my only justification for another paraiba was that I could make use of them :angel: )

Originally I was thinking a greener paraiba would go better with the pink but I didn't want to pass on this one. We did do another mock-up with smaller pink spinels (I had them in 2 sizes)...but that didn't have the paraiba melee or type of scalloped edge I wanted.

But I don't mind strong contrasts as long as its not garish. I lean more towards bold/bright than soft/muted. My taste can be more out there than Yvonne's...and she likes this...so I think it will be fine. The center stone will be raised so I think/hope that will offset the contrast a bit.

Deep breathes as I just gave her the go ahead to move on to the CAD stage.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the contrast, for me it would be awesome....lol but yeah I wanted to throw that out there. I'm glad you're going with white gold because that will allow both to really shine and not allow either to disappear. rose gold would dim the vibrant pink (which would be one way to go if you wanted to go slightly softer)

I can't wait to see how it looks!

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It looks gorgeous, and what a great way to maximize a stone! Love the E-W set baguettes, they are so classy!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see this ring! I'm glad the paraiba went to another PSer. :) I previously posted a few pics that showed the 2mm Burma spinels and the paraiba together. I think my photo was more accurate than Yvonne's in showing the true color of the stones. Hope it helps you compare the paraiba and spinels side by side.
12724781_1148212898536376_193353980_n.jpg
12545493_953363038044453_880309957_n.jpg
I'm a little surprised.. When I talked to Yvonne she said she only would consider plat for paraiba, not white gold. Hmm.. (my paraiba is being set in platinum).

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I'm looking forward to seeing your version lilmosun. Mine will be in 14k white gold too but my paraiba is tiny, perhaps Yvonne doesn't want to risk setting bigger ones in 14k white gold?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the pictures mochiko. I sort of know that Yvonne's pictures aren't always accurate and in fact, stone usually look much better IRL than her pictures. I use them as a guide and then trust her eye/descriptions for the rest.

I don't want to speak for Yvonne but in the past,she's mentioned to me that she has to factor in risk in evaluating any project she takes on. In addition to the risk of something happening but also whether she can source a replacement and/or absorb the loss if something happens. Why she generally avoids setting outside stones and may also be why she insist on certain types of metals, settings, etc or even turn down a project.

One other thing, I've found that she does not upsell and has in fact, pushed back on some of my requests. For example in another project we are working on, I really wanted a Russion demantoid added. She could've sold it to me but told me that in her opinion it wouldn't enhance the project so I should save the $$.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
So excited for you! :appl: This is going to be an awesome ring when it is done. I love the layout.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I love the color combo and design. When do you expect to see CADs?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to look fabulous in a white metal. Just as a thought, is it possible to set only the center Paraiba in rose gold to amp up its colour/glow and leave the rest in a white metal?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Chrono -- Thanks for the suggestion and actually talked to Yvonne about using rose gold around the paraiba...but we ended up leaving it as is.

Off for casting :pray:

cad_with_openings.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1461984228|4025382 said:
Hi Chrono -- Thanks for the suggestion and actually talked to Yvonne about using rose gold around the paraiba...but we ended up leaving it as is.

Off for casting :pray:

cad_with_openings.jpg

Yay for the casting phase!!!!
This will be such a stunning ring :appl:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yvonne just sent some pictures....so excited and relieved that the color pairing/style works :)

paraiba_ring1.jpg
paraiba_ring_2.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Omg it's gorgeous. :love:
:appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so beautiful!!! I can't wait to see hand shots!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful pairing of colors!!! Lovely piece.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness!! Beautiful! Can't wait for more pics [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! What a stunning outcome. It's a beautiful ring :love: :love: :love:
So excited for you :appl:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh! That took my breath away... literally!

I love the Burma spinels with the paraiba... I think it's officially my perfect pariaba ring...

:love:

(Is it rude to really light heartedly dibs it)??

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the kind words and sharing in my excitement

Theredspinel...not rude at all..after all we are twins in taste, right?

arabella -- I have to wait a bit longer because Yvonne felt the sizing was too tight. Will definitely post more once I receive...Yvonne's pictures seldom do her pieces justice which always adds to the anticipation of seeing it IRL.

lovedogs - I still hope the perfect paraiba just lands in your lap one day without looking. It took me a long time to get up the nerve to buy my first one...what I thought would be my one major CS purchase. It was the chance to buy a large cuprian that brought me here and see what's happened, lol.

lovinggems - don't you have a larger parabia coming? I am anxiously awaiting an update on where you go with yours.

katharath - not sure if you know this but you had a hand in me purchasing the neon pink spinels..they are AMAZING and using them was the whole inspiration for this ring. So thank you.

Acinom - your enthusiasm, support and kind words have become a foundation that keeps the CS forum fun to be in.

Admittely, the diamond baguettes didn't quite fit the way I originally envisioned. I insisted on incorporating diamonds to break up the pink so they didn't overwhelmed the center paraiba. Seeing everything together, my concerns probably weren't warranted but I see the baguettes still did provide for the east-west style for good finger coverage despite the small center stone.

Pierre, who does Yvonne's setting work, was very concerned about trying to set the fragile paraibas so close. Perhaps the use of white gold mentioned earlier contributed to the challenge. But he agreed to try and was able to work his magic (only breaking one but I had purchased extras as Yvonne often recommends). His skills/workmanship and her eye for color/design are why I keep going back.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! :love: The colors work beautifully together! :appl: :appl: :appl:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
lilmosun|1463940354|4034834 said:
Thank you all for the kind words and sharing in my excitement

Theredspinel...not rude at all..after all we are twins in taste, right?

arabella -- I have to wait a bit longer because Yvonne felt the sizing was too tight. Will definitely post more once I receive...Yvonne's pictures seldom do her pieces justice which always adds to the anticipation of seeing it IRL.

lovedogs - I still hope the perfect paraiba just lands in your lap one day without looking. It took me a long time to get up the nerve to buy my first one...what I thought would be my one major CS purchase. It was the chance to buy a large cuprian that brought me here and see what's happened, lol.

lovinggems - don't you have a larger parabia coming? I am anxiously awaiting an update on where you go with yours.

katharath - not sure if you know this but you had a hand in me purchasing the neon pink spinels..they are AMAZING and using them was the whole inspiration for this ring. So thank you.

Acinom - your enthusiasm, support and kind words have become a foundation that keeps the CS forum fun to be in.

Admittely, the diamond baguettes didn't quite fit the way I originally envisioned. I insisted on incorporating diamonds to break up the pink so they didn't overwhelmed the center paraiba. Seeing everything together, my concerns probably weren't warranted but I see the baguettes still did provide for the east-west style for good finger coverage despite the small center stone.

Pierre, who does Yvonne's setting work, was very concerned about trying to set the fragile paraibas so close. Perhaps the use of white gold mentioned earlier contributed to the challenge. But he agreed to try and was able to work his magic (only breaking one but I had purchased extras as Yvonne often recommends). His skills/workmanship and her eye for color/design are why I keep going back.

Aww thanks for the kind words :). I'm glad it worked out so well!

(Sorry I had to quote your whole post instead of just your words to me, but when posting from my iPhone I always have issues trying to cut/paste!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results