shape
carat
color
clarity

Another rose gold/OEC combo

Phoenixdarling

Rough_Rock
Done. Done, done, done! I started my journey for an engagement ring in January 2011 and here I am at last (many rings later and a lot more money and hassle later! :errrr: ) I went from knowing nothing but "I want it sparkly" to knowing way too much for my own good :tongue:

I began with a .91 OEC/tranny (6.2mm E, SI1) in a Gabriel & Co halo. After a couple of months, I talked my way into getting an upgrade. I wanted something bigger, and I wanted something more unique--I got worried when I saw that exact style ring in every mall jewelry store I passed. I didn't want my ring to look dated in a decade, you know?

Then I tried a 5 stone from BGD--big 45 pointers and so pretty, but just not me.

Then I tried a 1.33 tranny (J/K, SI2) in an original antique setting (with the most gorgeous faceting!) but I just couldn't get my mind around loving the setting.

And lastly, my Pink Lady (which I originally tried in a white gold solitaire)-- a 1.46 OEC (7.30 x 7.25 x 4.61, EGL I, SI1, which two GG called a K, so that sounds right) in a setting made by my local jeweler. The setting is a hybrid of many different inspirations (the JBEG Bella, Gabbie, and Mimi, plus Haven's and several other rose gold lovelies showing up here lately.) It's 14kt rose gold shank and halo, with 14kt white gold for the basket and prongs.The shank is 2.5mm,1.5mm halo, 8mm off the finger (with the stone set just a titch higher than I would have liked, but oh my, does having the girdle exposed improve the performance of my stone!!)

Two things I have learned by owning and wearing 5 engagement rings in a year and a half:

1. It's got to be comfortable. I ended up with a plain shank because I want to forget I have a ring on, and with pave on the shank (my first ring) channel set and milgrain (on my fourth one) or stones pressing into side fingers (the five stone), I couldn't get used to it.

2. The issue of color--my goodness, I must have read every post out there on the color of the stone and what color gold to put it in, with conflicting reports everywhere. From my experience, my K colored stone looks MUCH better in a rose gold halo/shank than when it was in a white gold solitaire. I never see a tint now, whereas when my fiance saw it for the fist time in the white gold solitaire, his response was "It's so yellow!" Big difference. (But then again, my BGD 5-stone were J stones, and I thought it looked white, so maybe I'm color blind? :cheeky:)

Pictures!

Phoenixdarling

Rough_Rock
From normal viewing distance, it looks like a cushion shaped halo (like the Mimi :twirl: )

pinklady2.jpg

pinklady3.jpg

pinklady1.jpg

Phoenixdarling

Rough_Rock
White gold setting I originally tried this stone in.

photo_18_1.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, what a transformation, it is STUNNING!! I adore the rose gold and love the halo, it's unique but classic. Yet it looks so comfy! You made a great choice, congrats!! :appl: :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is absolutely gorgeous, I adore the setting - one of the prettiest I've ever seen...you have yourself a winner with this one phoenixdarling!! Wear it in health and happiness!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That really is gorgeous! :love: :appl: Gosh, maybe the 4th time is the charm...maybe there is hope for the rest of us! :bigsmile:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Love your stone and that setting is one of my fav's...kissed a lot of frogs eh? Great choice!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous setting! I just ordered a K emerald cut and find your observations interesting on the different setting colors.
If I like the diamond I will strongly consider rose gold. Congrats on your fabulous ring!

Phoenixdarling

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your kind comments!

Kissing frogs? :cheeky: You know what? I think each of the rings I owned was beautiful, just not right for me. My mother has been positively dumbfounded each time I changed my mind this past year "What? No! That one was lovely!" was pretty much her standard reaction. But I suppose it's very much like finding the right man--you have to go through a few before you really know what you like and what you don't :twirl: And in my case, any guy who can put up with a woman selecting her own engagement ring 5 times over is a GEM! :appl:

As for the color issue, that was something that took a lot of working through to get right. It's not that I mind the warmth of the K, it's just that I didn't like it next to the cool silver of white metal--it just didn't "match" to my eyes. But I was so scared about the rose gold--there's just not much to look at IRL, and there are quite a few threads on here that swear up and down yellow/rose gold will make the stone look warmer/darker/what have you. But way back in the day, JBEG had that pink Gabbie halo that I loved (albeit with pink diamonds in the halo), and Erica put her K OEC in a rose gold Bella Halo and her stone looked amazing, and Haven's stone looks beautiful with the rose gold shank, etc. There were enough good examples out there that I took the plunge and I'm so glad I did! Honestly, my stone looks so much whiter/brighter set in this mount than it did loose, or in the solitaire, which is so surprising to me. And I don't see a clash with the halo melee, either (another big topic on here). But perhaps that's just me, and just this particular stone, you know?

Bottom line, I feel at peace with my decision, finally. Now I just have to get a wedding band :lol: Any suggestions??

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Phoenixdarling your Pink Lady is gorgeous!

I love how delicate and lacey the halo is and how the whole design has such perfect proportions. :love:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, I love that!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, this one is definitely a winner! It is absolutely gorgeous and perfect on you!! Congrats!

For what it's worth, I reset my original e-ring 5 or 6 times before I finally found the right one. ;)) :lol: So you aren't the only one. :bigsmile:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love everything about your ring! The unusual milgrain pattern, the rose gold, the overall shape, the stone, everything! I didn't see the first few choices, but definitely think this is a solid one! :appl: :appl:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous!!!! Love the rose gold, the beautiful halo, the gallery, and the plain shank, everything about it is perfect :appl: :love: :appl: And I don't think it's set too high at all.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very feminine!! :love:

cheers--Sharon

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhhhh :love: :love: :love: !

Have you been going through my inspiration stash? When I was thinking of resetting I also drew up a variant of the Bella halo with a different configuration of the petals and another swirly under-gallery in pink and white gold :lol: . Safe to say I adore your ring. And your jeweler did a great job with it. I just love old cuts with white prongs and rose/yellow gold shank.

Can we see some gallery pics? Looks really nice from what I can see.

Also I was wondering about the height your stone is set at. You mentioned that the stone performance is improved with the exposed girdle. I made the mistake of bezeling my OMC and it did not like it at all. So know I want to put in prongs and have it set high enough but not too high and yours looks like the perfect height too me :love: . Could you maybe take a couple of more shots of the height? And do you know how high it is set above the halo.

Phoenixdarling

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your very generous comments! (and Laila, thanks for making me feel like I'm not alone in my "ring nuttiness" as my fiance calls it :cheeky: )

Natasha, I know, right? TOO much good inspiration to be had from the JBEG gals. Basically, I liked the petal look of the Gabbie halo (but with the prongs inside instead of outside), adding on the milgrain from the Bella, and I also wanted it to have more of a cushion shape than a round. I also went with larger stones (1.5mm). What are you thinking of doing?? (One additional note for you, my jeweler put a white gold "lining" inside the halo, and I'm wondering how much that along with the white gold prongs and basket are affecting the color...)

As for the stone's performance, I noticed a big difference once the girdle was up and in the light--much, much better. I have read several threads discussing that particular issue with OECs, and it was certainly true with my stone.

Here are more pictures for you :tongue:

pinklady20.jpg

pinklady25.jpg

pinklady22.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW, stunning!!!! :love: :love: :love:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
It's lovely. It's unique. It looks like an antique one-of-a-kind.

But . . . FIVE rings to get THE RING??

Did you find a wedding dress yet? Or three? :naughty:

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
What a sweet setting!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
How did I miss this thread?!?!

Your ring is absolutely gorgeous! :love: LOVE the rose gold, it compliments the OEC and setting perfectly.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
It looks stunning! Perfect fit for that stone!! :love:

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenixdarling|1342906989|3237843 said:
Thank you all for your very generous comments! (and Laila, thanks for making me feel like I'm not alone in my "ring nuttiness" as my fiance calls it :cheeky: )

Natasha, I know, right? TOO much good inspiration to be had from the JBEG gals. Basically, I liked the petal look of the Gabbie halo (but with the prongs inside instead of outside), adding on the milgrain from the Bella, and I also wanted it to have more of a cushion shape than a round. I also went with larger stones (1.5mm). What are you thinking of doing?? (One additional note for you, my jeweler put a white gold "lining" inside the halo, and I'm wondering how much that along with the white gold prongs and basket are affecting the color...)

As for the stone's performance, I noticed a big difference once the girdle was up and in the light--much, much better. I have read several threads discussing that particular issue with OECs, and it was certainly true with my stone.

Here are more pictures for you :tongue:

Thank you!

I actually printed a photo of yours to take to my jeweler to show the exact height and curved prongs I wanted :oops: . And your shots made me finally decide on what color gold to use for another setting (rose gold shank and white gold head).

I :love: your ring.

Phoenixdarling

Rough_Rock
Natasha, you have to come back and post pics as soon as it's done--I can't wait to see what your jeweler does! I am so happy with the rose gold. It has this peachy/blush tint that I love even more the longer I wear it :love: And I love, LOVE my K in it--it either looks very white (most of the time), or pinkish/peachy in some lighting!

I ran into a woman recently who told me that it looks like Portuguese gold (anyone familiar with this?) which is actually perfect because my fiance is from the Azores. :cheeky:

And thank you armywife for your kind comments--considering the rock you'll be sporting, that is a compliment!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful, it's a perfect combination. It looks beautiful on you.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
It looks fantastic, beautiful diamond, enjoy :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results