shape
carat
color
clarity

Another ring violation!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2007 5:20:38 PM
Author: MoonWater

Date: 11/12/2007 5:02:15 PM
Author: Nicrez

Also, honestly, it's totally unecessary to get so personal or upset about anyone's posting or response. These are virtual strangers with different opinions and different ways of communicating. If you don't like what is said, let it go. This isn't personal, it's IMPERSONAL. That's somewhat the point of an internet chat forum, no...?
Actually no. There are people behind these words and those people have feelings. I think that's the biggest problem with the internet. People tend to be much more brash and rude online because they think they are only words. Considering what this forum involves (engagement rings, weddings, pregnancies, babies) it's even more obvious that feelings, very STRONG feelings are involved. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and offline I am one of the biggest bitches around, but I do believe in being respectful unless someone says somethig that warrants a strong response (like being offensive to others). But that's just me.
I think with everything there are differences of opinion and different personality types. I don't think people are more brash or rude online than in person. Quite the opposite, I find. Maybe because I live in NYC?
9.gif
I am all for feelings and emotion, but I am not a big fan of people emoting online to every slight turn of the wind. Personally, I am a very emotional person, and when there is license to feel touched or emotional (baby births, weddings, AT&T commercials) I do so. But to get offended by a post that someone I never met, I never befriended who knows nothing of my life wrote about another person, to me is somewhat unnecessary. It has to be a direct personal attack on me, my moral system or my family to elicit a response worthy of emotion. This person is expressing their feelings, albeit not what I may agree with, but why would I get vehement over it?

Perhaps people are substituting human interaction with internet interaction, and as such feel emoting online is more than normal. I am not of that type. I like this forum because it's an exchange of ideas and reactions to something very near and dear to me. This website actually helped me change my career! But I do not sit on the computer crying over someone's new child, although there are many lovely ones, nor am I emotionally moved when someone says something I disagree with. I do laugh (sometimes with, sometimes at), but the range of emotions are limited, as the tactile and sensory experience to meeting and knowing is not really there to me. I would rather get together for coffee than sit on IM all day. I am a face-to-face person, and to feel anything emotional over something impersonal means that either you truly wear your emotions on your sleeve, or perhaps feel a predisposed inclination to sensitivity on a topic.

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. And regardless of what a person acts like in "real-life" versus "online life", one should always be respectful, tactful and considerate of other's opinions. It just makes good common sense in both areas of life.

What I am saying is this: No one is in your face yelling at you. This is the internet, which let's be honest, as many people have met here and become friendly, it is still ANONYMOUS. People get closer at the GTGs and the personal e-mail exchanges and coffee meetups and that is where the real emoting happens, once you take the anonymity and increase it to the intimacy of friendship. So, unless you are a personal friend who attacks me, I don't see any reason to take umbridge over what an online posters says. And I do not like getting involved in these squabbles generally, but it seems a bit like playground behavior, and not a forum for jewlery and Gemology.

*steps off pulpit*

Sorry to divert the thread. It just happens sometimes...
11.gif

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 12:00:12 PM
Author: tberube
Nebe, you live in MA too? So do I. Hmmmmm....I thought I recognized you too....hmmm.
Oh oh oh!! WHERE?!
36.gif
I live in the western part kind of around Springfield.
35.gif

amy_dub

Shiny_Rock
I would have to say that I would NEVER let anyone try my engagement ring on (that is, when i get one). I''m not supersticious but I''ve always heard it to be "bad luck" if you did. Of course I wouldn''t ask to try anyone else''s on either.. that''s what jewelry stores are for!!!

So, if I were in your situation I''d just say "My grandmother always told me it''s bad luck to try on other people''s engagement & wedding rings".. usually people will let it go then.

Just my 2 cents...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m more than happy for people to try my jewellery on - I lend it to my sisters all the time.

With my e-ring, I let people try it on no problem, if I see that a friend would like to, but doesn''t want to ask, then I''ll take it off and ask them if they want to try it on.

I really don''t get this bad luck nonsense. My mother has always let us try on her wedding-band and e-ring as have my grandmothers and they have all had long and happy marriages.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 1:14:30 PM
Author: nebe

Nebe, you live in MA too? So do I. Hmmmmm....I thought I recognized you too....hmmm.

Oh oh oh!! WHERE?!
36.gif
35.gif

Darn it. I''m in Boston. I really did always think you looked familiar. Weird. ''spose it''s still not THAT far!
3.gif

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 2:14:57 PM

Date: 11/13/2007 1:14:30 PM
Author: nebe

Oh oh oh!! WHERE?!
36.gif
35.gif

Darn it. I''m in Boston. I really did always think you looked familiar. Weird. ''spose it''s still not THAT far!
3.gif
FH and I went to Boston for our anni in August... but that''s the extent of the amount of time I''ve spent there in the past five years. lol

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2007 5:35:14 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
I let family and friends try it on, but never would I let a stranger.

same here, i would be afraid it would run off with them!

but i also want to add, strangers HAVE asked me and in that situation i do say that i never take it off....

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
My co-workers want to try on my ring, but there''s no way it''ll fit them. (it''s a size 3.) I''m pretty proud of all the effort hubby went into picking out the stone and designing the setting so if my friends and co-workers want to admire it on their hands, I have no problem with that. After all, it''s insured for a reason.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results