shape
carat
color
clarity

Another q on Vatche'' RC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Akiva1080

Rough_Rock
After browsing hundreds of styles and spending morning all thru 47th St in nyc, (and of course reading all your great comments on the rings) I''m 99% set on the Royal Crown w/ round stones in channels in platinum. But the one thing that dissapoints me is I''m told the TCW of the setting is .15? The other rings that I liked almost as much for even a little less at ~.51!
Does Vatche'' design an RC with more? The thing I like most compared to the lucida style is the 6prong Vatche'' RC has offering more protection and added style. Aside from this, is it really that much better? Is the craftsmanship really that great?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/15/2003 1:18:38 AM Akiva1080 wrote:

Does Vatche' design an RC with more? Aside from this, is it really that much better? Is the craftsmanship really that great?----------------

I don't thik there is an RC version with more small diamonds on it, unfortunately. However, the quantity of melee does not automatically determine the price of the setting: those are quite inexpensive after all (the size and quality of those tiny things makes a difference). As far as I know them, the Vatche settings are better made than most 'ready-made' settings and more often than not the difference is great at least in my view.

Akiva1080

Rough_Rock
Sorry, i meant more points, a higher ct. weight than .15 in the setting. The number that is there is nice, but .15 seems small. Yes it certainly does seem worth it. What does melee mean?
I already have a center stone, 1ct.+ so i figured i could go a little more with what i spend on the setting. Maybe Ill go for the matching band?
loopy.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/15/2003 2:03:50 AM Akiva1080 wrote:

Sorry, i meant more points, a higher ct. weight than .15 in the setting. The number that is there is nice, but .15 seems small. Yes it certainly does seem worth it. What does melee mean?
I already have a center stone, 1ct.+ so i figured i could go a little more with what i spend on the setting. Maybe Ill go for the matching band?
loopy.gif
----------------

Yeah, that comment could apply to both size and number of the small stones (those little diamonds are called melee). Personally, I would need alot of persuation to get it why adding small chips to the settings adds anything to the center stone... but this is me. How about a three-stone model? To be honest, out of all Vathe offerings the simple RC with it's matching band are best. Anyway, Vatche is by no means alone in the world of brands; did you see this site?

Akiva1080

Rough_Rock
Thanx alot Val, im off to 47th yet once again to see if i can view the Vatche RC in person, maybe get a few price quotes. I guess you may be right, the .15 may be enough, tho when i saw the others of .4 or .5 they didnt seem much either. How does it work with quality of side stones? Being from a single manufacturer are they all similar?
Also thanx for that site, spent over an hour browsing different designs, still luving this 2Dimensional foto of Vatche RC! Ill let you kno how it goes. Thnx again!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/15/2003 11:21:08 AM Akiva1080 wrote:
How does it work with quality of side stones? Being from a single manufacturer are they all similar?----------------​

No, they do not come from the same manufacturer: actually, there are chances that they come from some cuting factory in India, China or Africa. These tiny diamonds are, amazingly enough, cut in the same way as the big ones (a 1.5mm flake of dust will have the same number and outline of facets as a 10cts rock) so the same standards of quality apply. There are some crazy people who even thought to cut 0.08ct H&A (Whiteflash sells those). Prices vary with clarity, color and cut as for the rest of diamonds: there is one catch though... In those small sized, clarity and color are not all that obvious and people have hardly seen those tiny H&As (or better cuts of any sort). Therefore manufacturers tend to skimp the quality of these small stones and rarely state more than a range of color (for example G-H) for them. Sometimes clarity is specified for higher-end jewelry, but even then...

Does this matter? In pave settings surely it does: the overall effect of a 'field' of G-H, SI is way less brilliant than the same in G-H VVS. The bigger the size of the stones, the more visible their quality, of course. I personally hate the idea to purchase a so-so setting for an expensive stone. This is where all the discussion comes from, really.

Akiva1080

Rough_Rock
Thanx so much Val! You really helped educate me with all of this. I ended up going to a few of the places that deal with Vatche' this morning on 47th. Got a few quotes, but most importantly the turnaround dates were rough because of the holidays. In the end, I decided to order with Michael Fina because the guy just seemed completely honest and I feel like I'm getting better service (even tho it's coming from Vatche').
Has anyone had any experience dealing with Michael Fina? Altho its a specific store and theres no way of getting around things like Sales tax
sad.gif
, but compared to all those other "booths" in the exchanges or what not, it just gives peace of mind to be ordered from a quality store.
Ill take pics when it comes (after the holidays). Now just gotta think of proposal ideas!

Akiva1080

Rough_Rock
Im a fool as i just realized...I ordered the Varche RC (they have 2 models one for 1ct and 1.5ct). My diamond is 1.10 and i ordered the first size. Anyone know if it will fit? I saw in another posting someone with >1carat didnt, AHHHH! Did i order the wrong one?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
We registered at Fina for our wedding flatware and china, and it was a nightmare. I couldn't believe how many times they sent us duplicates and wrong items. The customer service folks were rude, kept us waiting endlessly, gave us the runaround, and then proceeded to mess our orders up all over again.

Of course, I don't know if anywhere else is any better. Bridal registries seem often to be nightmares. I guess they figure they're getting your money (or your friends' money) anyway, no matter how badly they treat you. But our experience sure made me NOT want to shop there for anything else.

Akiva1080

Rough_Rock
OhNo! I mean the salesperson I dealt with seemed very nice, but I'm just so worried that it's taking so long as it is to get the ring in...what if I needed the 1.5 for my 1.1ct? Anyone know?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 12/17/2003 8:06:28 PM Akiva1080 wrote:

OhNo! I mean the salesperson I dealt with seemed very nice, but I'm just so worried that it's taking so long as it is to get the ring in...what if I needed the 1.5 for my 1.1ct? Anyone know?
----------------

Hey Akiva,

I have been told the 1 carat solitaire setting will accomodate a stone up to 1.49 carat weight in size...

I originally ordered a dvatche x-prong solitaire setting. The wait was about 3 weeks for the plain platinum setting..

Some dealers stock a couple settings in house for the rushed time of year, but if they don't have a ready made dvatche setting in your size this wait is normal...
21.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 12/15/2003 1:18:38 AM Akiva1080 wrote:

After browsing hundreds of styles and spending morning all thru 47th St in nyc, (and of course reading all your great comments on the rings) I'm 99% set on the Royal Crown w/ round stones in channels in platinum. But the one thing that dissapoints me is I'm told the TCW of the setting is .15? The other rings that I liked almost as much for even a little less at ~.51!
Does Vatche' design an RC with more? The thing I like most compared to the lucida style is the 6prong Vatche' RC has offering more protection and added style. Aside from this, is it really that much better? Is the craftsmanship really that great?
----------------

I think that dvatche will accomodate any idea as long as the size of the melee stones does not interfere with the integrity of the original design...

I am currently looking at the dvatche xprong platinum solitaire with the channel set sides. The tcw on the side stones is .28 cts...but the design of the Royal crown is different in that the sides of the ring taper towards the top near where the stone is mounted. In order to keep things uniform they probably went with this size melee to keep the channel where the melee stones are set from going too far off near the sides of the ring...
wavey.gif

Akiva1080

Rough_Rock
Aside from that visual difference, i just liked the peace of mind of it being 6 prong. Ring was ordered with Michael Fina, promised me Jan 4th. Ill keep u updated cant wait to break out my digital camera on it!
You guys are awesome, thanx for sharing your knowledge!

Akiva1080

Rough_Rock
Just an update...The ring, absolutely gorgeous! she loved it
2.gif
Heres how i did it.
The proposal was sooo much fun! I rented out an entire ice rink, had a friend arrange a few dozen roses in the shape of a heart in the center of the ice. When we came, she thought they might be closed, but we go in, lights all dim, party lights moving all over, cd i made of her favorite songs playing. We go on the ice, i propose, she says yes, we take a limo waiting outside back home!!!yay me
1.gif
Mr. Romantic!
Weddings planned for early summer if we can get a date, question is, NY or LA. Heres a pic of us http://www.onlysimchas.com/galleries/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewsimcha&simchaid=19828&simchatypeid=6

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Akiva! I love the Royal Crown setting!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Ha! Your fiancee looks like she could be my much younger, much prettier younger sister.

Mazel tov! You guys look so happy.

Akiva1080

Rough_Rock
Thankyou, weddings set for late june at the LAX Hilton, it's going to be beautiful! Now we're looking for bands. I love the matching vatche from the set, but for the ceremony we need to use a plain one

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a great party and much fun had by all!! And that desert table was to die for!!
9.gif

Many Congrats on your Engagement!!
love.gif
Best wishes for a wonderful wedding and many happy years together!!
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results