shape
carat
color
clarity

Another plea for input on a couple of stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dfb

Rough_Rock
Admitted novice here - upgrading my wifes 11 year old ering - here are 3 stones I am 'thinking' about - and would like your brutally honest inputs please - there is a $3000 difference between as a group - so please take a look and let me know what you think and how you would rate them first to worst and why - they are all GIA certs - thanks

I am getting an ideal scope image of each - but do not have that yet - dont be shy about telling me scrap this grouping and keep looking - we really want something that will have great sparkle and scintillation and fire - she has been great about not having the best setting for 10 years - and now I want to get her something she will really love for the next 40 years

Stone 1
RB
7.62x7.64x4.76
1.7 tcw
H/VS2
cut grade - EX
depth - 62.4
table - 55
crown angle - 35
pavillion angle - 40.8
girdle - med to slightly thick faceted
culet - none
Polish - EX
Symmetry - EX
Fluoro - MB
Comments - additional clouds not shown

HCA = 1.6

Stone 2
RB
7.69x7.73x4.74
1.7 tcw
H/VS1
cut grade - EX
depth - 61.5
table - 55
crown - 34.5
pavillion - 40.8
girdle - medium faceted
culet - none
polish - EX
symmetry - EX
Fluoro - none
Comments - none

HCA = 1.3

Stone 3
RB
7.60x7.68x4.76
1.73 tcw
H/SI1 (note - high SI1 - very eye clean)
cut grade - EX
depth - 62.3
table - 57
crown - 35.5
pavillion - 40.8
girdle - thin to slightly thick faceted
culet - none
polish - EX
symmetry - EX
Fluoro - none
Comments - Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown

HCA = 2.5

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We might as well wait for the Ideal Scopes.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
personally, i''d choose the cheapest one (?#3?)

dfb

Rough_Rock
Looks like I will only be getting ideal scopes on stones 1 & 2 - probably will not get it on #3 - so any opinions from the stats is appreciated - I will certainly post whatever I get on the ideal scopes

Stone 1 is actually the cheapest

Stone 2 the most expensive

Stone 3 falling in the middle of the pack - I thought 3 would have been the cheapest too (maybe it is just over priced)

there is about $3000 difference between Stone 1 and 2 - guessing that is a combination of the one clarity grade - and the med blue fluoro - but I really have no idea

I am told on initial visual inspection Stone 2 is a bit better cut (though both get GIA excellent) - and of course Stone 2 is a clairty grade higher

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
what is the price on the stones?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
then #1 sounds like a good candidate. med blue fluoro can be quite nice and add a character. Ask your vendor to eyeball them for you and tell the reason of price difference between #1 and #3.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2007 9:19:29 AM
Author: dfb
Looks like I will only be getting ideal scopes on stones 1 & 2 - probably will not get it on #3 - so any opinions from the stats is appreciated - I will certainly post whatever I get on the ideal scopes

Stone 1 is actually the cheapest

Stone 2 the most expensive

Stone 3 falling in the middle of the pack - I thought 3 would have been the cheapest too (maybe it is just over priced)

there is about $3000 difference between Stone 1 and 2 - guessing that is a combination of the one clarity grade - and the med blue fluoro - but I really have no idea

I am told on initial visual inspection Stone 2 is a bit better cut (though both get GIA excellent) - and of course Stone 2 is a clairty grade higher

Stone #3 faces up a wee bit small:A 1.73 with those angles and a medium girdle (GIA) would spread appx 7.78 mm.The clarity comment bears investigation.If the SI1 was based exclusively on clouds it could be very eye-clean; just make sure transparency is not hindered.If that was the case we’d expect it to be graded SI2, but the question is reasonable.

Cut:I’m with Julie; wait for the ideal-scopes.

In technical terms, both #1 and #2 have ‘near-Tolkowsky’ proportions.#2 has a couple of numbers ‘nearer’ Tolk, but if all else is equal they should perform with the same level of appeal.The VS2 and med fluorescence bring the price of #1 down with no visible sacrifice.It may be your best bang for the buck.

dfb

Rough_Rock
thanks SO MUCH for you all taking the time to offer your valued opinions - I hope to get the ideal scopes of stone 1 and 2 over the weekend or early next week - when I do I will post them and then see what the thoughts are in terms if is there a real $3000 difference between the two in terms of performance - thanks again -

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
number one and three are a little deeper than I would like.

dfb

Rough_Rock
here is the ideal scope of Stone 2

Stone2DFB.jpg

dfb

Rough_Rock
and stone 1

you guys see any big difference between the two

Stone1DFBx.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone 1 is slightly painted. Both have excellent IS....can't go wrong with one of them. I think the H VS2 would be fine.

dfb

Rough_Rock
Thanks Julie - what do you mean when you say stone 1 is slighted painted?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, both are gonna be beautiful!

dfb

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link Julie - I read the article - most of it was over my uninformed head - but I got the gist - seems like it can be a bad thing - or not a bad thing if it is only crown - and within certain parameters to enhance performance of an ideal cut - from what I can tell - seems to be a bigger issue if done to perserve weight - or to in the case of digging to remove an inclusion for a higher clarity grade - guess I am at the point to get a look at the stone and make the call from there - it is amazing to me you guys can quickly look at an ideal scope and pick up those small variations and what they mean (at least they seem small to my eye) - I appreciate the expert advice - I am assuming since the GIA grade was still EX - as was the polish and sym on the cert that whatever painting is there was not to the degree it impacted performance and ultimate grading

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results