shape
carat
color
clarity

Another OEC opinion

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my hunt for an OEC for picklecat, I came across this one...what do you think? .75 H/I SI2 (because of a chip in the girdle) for $350....

70%20OEC.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So do you think it's a dud or are you all out there trying to find it and bid on it??? :naughty:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad deal but that is a huge chip...I can see it quite clearly. If I were going to buy it I would budget in the cost to recut as I wouldn't set or wear it with such major damage. Most old cuts will have some chips or abrasions but not usually ones that interfere with their appearance or stability but I worry that one could.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Kelpie. I'd probably bezel the sucker as an earring or as part of a 3 stone ring...I think that would protect the girdle once the chip had been polished out. Still a bad idea?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's hard to tell given the angle of the photograph ... I don't suppose there are any other shots?

But assuming even a vaguely attractive stone, a .75 H for $350 would tempt me mightily: I would happily bezel that sucker in a VERY nice setting and spend what remained on the setting or what-have-you.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
What I'm thinking is that if you just wanted a minor re-cut, it'll be lopsided because a huge chunk needs to be cut out leaving the culet and all the facets off center. To really do a nice job of it and keep it center you might lose a lot of weight making it not such a great deal.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's the only other photo. I hear what you're saying about polishing it possibly making the faceting look off, but I figure for $350, in an earring, it might not be that noticable????

75%202.jpg

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's a pretty big chip, and the clarity and cut are hard to determine from the pics. You're looking at a decent loss in girdle diameter with a recut. In this case, you'd likely get what you paid for.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would NOT buy it with the intention of a recut - between the cost of recutting and the weight loss, you'd wind up spending more than you would for a stone with higher clarity! But if it had the potential to just be bezeled outright, then it might be worth it ....

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmmm, I think I'll see if I can get a couple of better photos...I'd be happy to bezel it...that's my dream for an pair of earrings anyway...

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. The price is right, the faceting looks nice, the chip is unfortunately pretty big. If you'd be cool with it as-is, and the chip wouldn't drive you bats, it's worth the price for sure. I have a ~.50 ct OEC with a chip that's a little smaller, which I spent $200 on. Fine for earrings or bezeled IMO. Pretty stone, really too bad it's so chipped!

ETA: I would *not* buy it intending to get it recut. IMO that chip is probably too drastic for a recut to fix easily- I think you'd lose a HECK of a lot of weight. I'd use it as it is, possibly spend the shipping to send it to BG, just to ask about fixing it, but I wouldn't expect a recut to leave much. Unfortunately.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1314826082|3006695 said:
So do you think it's a dud or are you all out there trying to find it and bid on it??? :naughty:

Hahaha

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone! It's on it's way to me, so I guess we'll see when it arrives. It's my first ebay purchase of this kind, so I'm being realistic about what I may end up with. I'll take some photos asap....thanks for your opinions! If anyone comes across it's mate, please let me know! :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results