shape
carat
color
clarity

Another newbie in the market for a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aztec22m

Rough_Rock
Great site with lots of valuable information. From knowing very little about diamonds a month ago I can say this forum and the people that contribute to it have educated me quite a bit. I have been seriously looking for a diamond for over a month now and at various times have ranged from buying a ring at Costco to getting an AGS0 stone from an online vendor to sacrificing cut to get a bigger stone. Since I have not seen an AGS0 next to just a good cut stone it is difficult for me to judge what is worth paying for. Initially I thought I would just buy a ring and totally (somewhat) surprise my girlfriend. But she and I do a lot of things together and I thought it would help me and she would enjoy the process of selecting a diamond. From that we narrowed down the type of band and that a diamond down to an I in color and VS1 in clarity would be best. We looked at a couple of SI1''s and she could see the inclusion while I could not. She has very good eyesight and I do not.

I am away on business for the next few weeks and by chance ended up visiting a local jeweler right down the street from where I am staying. He store and displays are all very nice and he said he would give me a 35% discount off the "Rap" sheet including a tiffany platinum setting. The certs on his diamonds are mostly EGL and the one I am interested in came up as a 3 using the HCA. The grading scale is: 0-2 Excellent, 2-4 Very Good, 4-6 Good, 6-8 Fair, and 8-10 Poor. The diamond is a 1.51 I VSI and the price would be around $7,500 including the platinum tiffany setting.

I would prefer an AGS or GIA certificate and the EGL does not have all of the information I would like. I did not ask the jeweler if he has an IdealScope. My girlfriend looked at the diamond using a loupe and loved it. But she also likes alot of the diamonds we have looked at online and at Costco. Without looking at them side by side I find it is difficult for me to judge.

Thoughts anyone? If I decide to buy from this or any jeweler should I have it sent out for appraisal and how does that process work with the jeweler? Is that commonplace for the jeweler to send it to an appraiser of your choice?

I will post all of the specifics I got from the EGL cert as soon as I find the piece of paper again. He told me I could make a copy of the cert but I just wrote everything down.

Thanks for anyones opinion on this.

aztec22m

Rough_Rock
EGL Certificate

1.51 I VSI
Depth 64.6%
Table width 56%
Crown height 16%
Pavillion depth: 43%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Polish: VG
Symmetry: G
Cutlet: None
Fluro: Very Slight

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi aztec,

Congrats on your impending engagement!

The stone you''ve picked out is really deep. Personally, I wouldn''t go past 62, and then only if it''s not affecting the diameter (face up size) too much. That info isn''t in the report, but I can pretty much bet it will look smaller than it should. I just wouldn''t want to pay for something I''m not getting.

The symmetry is Good, I would stick with Very Good and up.

As for an EGL stone in general, yes, I would have it looked at by an independant appraisor. You would have to ask the jeweler how he wants to work that.

If you two really want to buy from a retailer, I honestly think it would be safer to stick with a GIA or AGS stone.

I see you''ve considered online. I shopped retail in the beginning of my upgrade search, and in the end bought online. The quality of online stones in many cases is far superior to what B&M''s sell, at way better prices. Not always, but a lot of the time.

If you decided to go online, we''d love to help!

aztec22m

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input Ellen. I think I will continue to look online and see what I can get. I really have not like any B&M experiences and had one this weekend that was sad. One of the online vendors seems like the best option.

Thanks.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 9:23:45 PM
Author: aztec22m
Thanks for the input Ellen. I think I will continue to look online and see what I can get. I really have not like any B&M experiences and had one this weekend that was sad. One of the online vendors seems like the best option.

Thanks.
Aw, I''m sorry to hear that, but not really surprised. I too tried to shop B&M''s, it was all downhill, not fun like I thought it would be.

You will do well to shop online, I did!
2.gif

If you decide you want some help, just make a new thread and tell us what your budget is and what you''re looking for, and we''d be more than glad to help you!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results