shape
carat
color
clarity

another newbie asking for help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brody05

Rough_Rock
I have just spent the last 4 hours going over this great site.
My problem is I have very little money to spend on a diamond, however in saying that this is as important to me as some of the very expensive diamonds discussed.
I have used the pricescope search and found a few in my price range of $1100- to $1200- that match what I have thus far thought to be a good diamond, for ex;
.66 caret
H color
SI2 clarity
depth 62%
table 57%
TN girdle
N culet
polish very good
symmetry very good
M blue none
Cert by GIA
I am unsure of the sarin report angles and up til now have thought that a ''very good cut'' would mean that these angles fall into an exceptable range, is that an incorrect assumption to make?
I am trying to purchase a diamond that has a reasonable quality without sacrificing too much in the size department. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thankfully, a poor paramedic from New Zealand.
lickout.gif

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Have you tried using the "Additional H&A Search engine" on goodoldgold. If you don't have them do the evaluation, you can just get the "brokers" price and perhaps save some money.

gsdfgsd.jpg

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Also, I think you have a decent understanding of the diamond you want. Since you diamond is 2/3 carat, then a GIA SI2, you probably won't be able to see any inclusions with the naked eye. Also you can go as low at a J color to save some money with a diamond of your size.

You want
H-J color
SI1-SI2 clarity
Table - 55-57%
Depth -59%-62.5%.
Medium girdle +/- a thickness level
No culet

Very good cut is sometimes quite poor. Stick to an ideal cut. The cut is what makes the sparkle. If you want to save any money, lower you color specification first, then carat size. If you buy a "very good cut" 0.66 carat stone, it may look as big as a 0.6 ideal. This why you should also look at the diameter. This gives you another good indication of size and should be as important. The diameter in mm should approximately equal
diameter = 6.50 * carat weight^0.3333

So a 0.66 carat should have a diameter of about 5.65mm.

brody05

Rough_Rock
Hi Chris, thankyou so much for the advice, I have made an enquirey with good old gold for the cheaper diamond on those options you gave, it is a bit smaller than I wanted but thats what happens when there is only so much money to spend, I value your opinion and if you're interested will let you know how I get on.
Cheers
wavey.gif

PS. To keep the option open I have asked for a sarin on the GIA diamond and will put in the results to the HCA when I get them, in the meantime the dimensions on it were 5.53 x 5.6 x 3.45.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/2/2004 10:16:20 AM chris-uk04 wrote:

You want
H-J color
SI1-SI2 clarity
Table - 55-57%
Depth -59%-62.5%.
Medium girdle +/- a thickness level
No culet

Very good cut is sometimes quite poor. Stick to an ideal cut. The cut is what makes the sparkle. ----

I would suggest looking at an I color *if* you wanted lower your parameters. But, I would have to disagree w/ Chris on the notion that a very good cut could be poor. A very good cut is just that - a very good cut. Pursue the option of an "ideal" (which doesn't guarantee it is a better shiner than a stone w/ a very good make); but, don't rule out any stone w/ a very good make. Quite frankly, I like this .66 very much. It's a tad on the deep side; but, perfectly within "normal" mm size. It has very good symmetry & polish. And, best of all, it has medium blue fluor w/ could make this nice size stone face up ever whiter than the H color. I would wait and see the crown & pav. angles on this one.

brody05

Rough_Rock
Hello and thanks for your advice (I think I'm starting to sound like the typical lord of the rings new zealand acceptance speech), I am waiting for more info still but found something similar that mades no sense to me, it is rated a good cut and polish by EGL but when the dimensions are run through the HCA it comes up as excellent, the details are as follows:
H
SI2
5.82 x 5.74 x 3.4
depth 58.8%
table 58%
crown 12.1
pavilion 43.9
girdle m-stk
culet N
no fluoro
If anyone can explain that to me I would be extremely gratefull. By the way the H and A was no longer available.
Brody
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results