shape
carat
color
clarity

(Another) New Luc Yen Spinel!

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm sorry I don't have my own pictures yet..

This is the second of the rough Luc Yen Spinel material. It was just finished being cut by Jean-Noel Soni.

This stone was a bit included, so a typical faceted stone was not possible. However, there was a nice natural crystal face, which he used as a pavilion for a Rose-Cut. It could also be mounted as a flat-crown faceted stone, as he told me it was cut above the critical angle for Spinel.

The stone ended up at .60ct, 7.36x5.97mm. I am happy with how it looks in the pics, and Ill post my own once it arrives. I don't know what the inclusions look like, but the color looks great.

I know, if only it was bigger :)

_4803.jpg

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
That was FAST! I love it - love the color :love: :love: Congrats!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Love the color!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niiiiice color. How did you choose Jean Noel as the cutter since you got it from Bob Siv and you typically work with Dan? If its not cool to ask, pretend I didn't ask the question... :wink2:

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Minou,

I work with a lot of different cutters! They all have their strengths and I use that to help me decide who cuts what 8-)

I chose Jean-Noel because, and if you follow his work you know, he uses freeform, yet symettrical shapes. He uses the natural shape of the rough/crystal which maximizes the size of the stone. Lets face it--those pieces of rough were small!

Jean, on top of being a really nice guy, also won first place in the AGTA Spectrum award this year. If I have a rare piece (or two) of rough, its cool to say it was done by an award-winning cutter :praise:

I don't know what I am doing and with what piece. I dont have this one in hand yet, so I don't know what the inclusions look like...how visible they are, or how this would perform as a gemstone as opposted to a rose-cut stone. Jean said it could be mounted either way. I love trillions.

I think I can rule out setting both stones in the same ring, due to them being two completely different shapes (and thats fine). Once I decide which one I want to set, Ill figure out what to do with the other one. Right now I am really liking the trillion... :D :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think he chose an excellent design when considering the end size, inclusions and etc. The simpler cut in a smaller size will give you nice flash. I bet you can't wait to set these spinels. :naughty:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Chris, the color is tdf! He really brought it out well & I'm sure that shape will provide plenty of sparkle. Fun!

--- Laurie

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the compliments. I am thinking of setting this one, as it is more my style...trillions are my favorite cut!

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
This is going to look so cool set! I love the color. Congrats on another gorgeous stone!

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I got the stone today and took some quick pictures with my camera phone. Love the color...yes, there are inclusions, but I like the way this looks mounted as a rose-cut....

luctril2.jpg

luctril4.jpg

luctril6.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results