shape
carat
color
clarity

another nervous newbie is confused

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

writergeek

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi, this site has been so helpful to me - thank you all so much. I buy most everything except groceries online. I'm a bit nervous still about buying a diamond online despite all I've learned. We're looking for a stone and have a budget of 7200 and want a round brilliant, and was thinking H color VS2 clarity was the best way to go.

Here's a stone I am interested in. I have asked Dan at JA if their gemologist could look at it. On the AGS report it looks wonderful. I do not have an Idealscope pic of it nor have I had it independently appraised yet. I did enter the values in the HCA online tool and got a number of 3.4 with ratings of Good and Very Good. Should I be concered that AGS has rated this Ideal?
33.gif

Thanks for your help:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=1192782

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you buy online from JA you don''t have anything to worry about. Many here have had fantastic transactions and your money will be safe. I purchased my engagement stone from them and am thrilled with it!

As far this particular stone goes I would keep looking. It shows some leakage under the table. I think you should also consider SI1 stones as many are completely clean to the naked eye and this can open up a bunch of inventory to get a well cut stone. I even have an SI2 that is eye clean.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

I do wonder why the discrepancy (0 and a non-favorable HCA).

Also, where you say...

Date: 3/9/2009 3:58:26 PM
Author: kcoursolle

"As far this particular stone goes I would keep looking. It shows some leakage under the table."

Are you getting that from the "real diamond image?" If so, I wonder if it is designed/available to be used for that kind of analysis...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

The diamond despite being an AGS0 has steeper angles for crown and pavilion, so to be safe I would ask JA for an Idealscope image of the diamond to check for any light leakage.

writergeek

Rough_Rock
Trade
If you buy online from JA you don''t have anything to worry about. Many here have had fantastic transactions and your money will be safe. I purchased my engagement stone from them and am thrilled with it!

As far this particular stone goes I would keep looking. It shows some leakage under the table. I think you should also consider SI1 stones as many are completely clean to the naked eye and this can open up a bunch of inventory to get a well cut stone. I even have an SI2 that is eye clean.
Thanks for the reassurance. I started out all excited that after weeks of looking I found a stone that interested me then deflation set in. The discrepancy between the HCA and the AGS rating confused me and now JA has not called me back neither this morning as first promised nor by 4 as promised next. I guess I should widen the search...

writergeek

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/9/2009 4:08:48 PM
Author: Regular Guy

I do wonder why the discrepancy (0 and a non-favorable HCA).

Also, where you say...

''As far this particular stone goes I would keep looking. It shows some leakage under the table.''

Are you getting that from the ''real diamond image?'' If so, I wonder if it is designed/available to be used for that kind of analysis...
Thanks so much for the input and links to your tips. Very helpful! I am looking at a few other options as well.

writergeek

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/9/2009 4:13:53 PM
Author: Lorelei
Welcome!

The diamond despite being an AGS0 has steeper angles for crown and pavilion, so to be safe I would ask JA for an Idealscope image of the diamond to check for any light leakage.
Darin at JA has said that the stone in AGS triple 0 with great light exchange. I''m feeling better about pursuing this further now. Thanks for your input!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 5:10:07 PM
Author: writergeek

Date: 3/9/2009 4:13:53 PM
Author: Lorelei
Welcome!

Darin at JA has said that the stone in AGS triple 0 with great light exchange. I''m feeling better about pursuing this further now. Thanks for your input!
Thats good. Can he give us an Idealscope image?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results