shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Maul Jeweler Experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
When I walked into the local maul jeweler''s yesterday for a little trying on fun, I never imagined I''d come out of there with anything interesting to report, but......

I went in there with a friend to whom I''d shown my loose diamond earlier in the day. We''d also spent a little time looking at her ering, discussing the inclusions in her diamond, the color, etc. Her diamond has eye visible inclusions, although they''re not easy to spot. So at best it''s an si2, probably i1. She is under the impression that her diamond is in the D-F range, but it''s not certed, so who really knows. I can''t tell that it isn''t. It is whiter than my I color diamond.

All is going as you''d expect....we''re looking at poor quality stones...even their best have inclusions I can easily see. The saleswoman takes a look at my friend''s ring and ventures that it''s a vs1. Obvious bull or stupidity. Offers to clean our rings for us. Fine.

My friend asks her opinion of the color of her stone....the saleswoman says, G, then maybe H or I. She also says that the top of my friend''s diamond is scratched and that she should get it repolished at some point....that this is why it''s not as bright as some of their diamonds. (My friend''s only had her ring for two years....there are no scratches on it....I checked later to be sure.)

So I''m trying on stones for size, then I ask to compare two different quality one carat rounds side by side. I ask if they have anything better than the best one they''re currently showing me, since I can still see an inclusion without benefit of magnification....

She says that''s the best they sell, and that I wouldn''t want a flawless diamond anyway because in addition to being way more expensive, they BREAK!
eek.gif
(At this point my jaw nearly dropped.) Apparently other minerals mixed in with the diamonds are needed to give them strength.
errrr.gif
And furthermore, she says flawless diamonds don''t actually exist....all diamonds have inclusions, or as she likes to call them, "birthmarks".
rolleyes.gif

I was shocked and appalled at what was either complete lack of knowledge, or blatant lying! If she knows that little, she''d do better to keep her mouth shut, and if she knows more, Oh My God! Either way, for shame!
nono.gif

-Melissa

DoctorZ

Rough_Rock
I helped my friend buy a car a couple of months ago. One of the salesmen lied to us several times during the sales pitch. I honestly thought that it could not get much worse...until I went diamond shopping a few weeks ago at some nearby B & M stores. This included several maul experiences like the one you just posted. One Tiffany salesman kept on saying "I'm qualified...I'm GIA trained....blah blah blah" Then he pointed to the culet and called it the crown angle. It was actually pretty entertaining.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi There,
I'm not surprised by your experience at the store. Yesterday my fiance & I were looking at bands or at least trying to find a similar band that we're having Greg of Ringdesigner.com to make. Well, when I asked what platinum-alloy mix they use, she said "Platinum is 100% pure, we dont mix with anything". LMAO My fiance at this point starts cracking up. I say, no plat. needs to be mixed with something to give it strength. The woman starts getting very angry, & in turn I start laughing. My fiance finally says, you dont make 100% pure gold rings do you, you mix it to give it strength & stability dont you? I said a courteous "thank you but we'll keep looking" & I was still cracking up when I left. My fiance stops me, & gives me a big bear hug right in the middle of the mall. He said he is so greatful I'm picky & want the best for him. Awwwww, nice guy! This incident just reinforced to both of us, how much more stress free it is to buy online.
appl.gif

Judy
:)

DoctorZ

Rough_Rock
CCU Nurse,

You are right. Stress free is always a good thing. You probably have enough to deal with at work! One thing I have to admit: despite what it may seem to outsiders, buying a ring is actually a lot more stressful than working in the unit!

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
errrr.gif
Those are some of most amazing stories that I have heard!! It's so sad that stores are able to pull this sort of thing and stay in business...
nono.gif

I've had to deal with some misinformation in my shopping, but nothing like that!
6.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Doc,
LOL You're right, diamond shopping is worse than finding your patient in vfib on the toilet!
eek.gif
haha
I told my fiance that this one store was very very pushy & he agreed after we left. I told him that I dont get attitude like that online, if you want to buy, buy, if not, then dont. Thank goodness we've run across some great vendors on this site & some not on this site (such as diamond brokers of florida).

Judy
:)

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
I was also told once by a different jeweler that rhodium is the name for the process of plating with platinum. (Why anyone would plate platinum with platinum is beyond me.
rolleyes.gif
) I said I thought rhodium was a separate element. He said no!

In any questionable jewelry store I would expect poor quality, pushy salespeople, and exagerations about quality, but I never would have expected out and out bull! And while I never expected anything good from a maul jeweler, I would think that unlike random jewelers in the jewelry district,a chain store would have some concern for their reputation. Guess not.

-Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results