shape
carat
color
clarity

Another lost soul looking for help/advice

sojuorn

Rough_Rock
I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now. I would like to think that I have learned alot, but I am still having a great deal of trouble in trying to pick a diamond (for engagement ring). I have a few questions I wouldn't mind help with if anyone has the time.

1. I would like my budget to be between 5-6k for the whole ring. I could go over this price, but would very much like to keep it within this range.

2. With my budget in mind, I have a picture of the stats of a diamond I think I could afford. I am thinking .85-.95ish carat, F-H color, VS2-SI1 clarity (must be eye clean, this is very important to me), and I want an ideal cut (H&A would be great, but I don't know if that is necessary.. still confused on this). Of these I rank cut as my #1 priority, with it being eye-clean as #2.

I am having great difficulty finding a diamond to purchase. I have read about measurments and IS-images but I don't feel comfortable with my understanding of these things. I don't feel I can tell what is good and what is bad. I have read that buying a diamond online can save a significant amound of money, so this is the route I am looking at. But without seeing the diamond in person I don't feel I know enough to be comfortable in selecting a 4-5k purchase!!

Right now selecting a diamond is my biggest concern. Any help with this would be much appreciated. However, selection of a setting is also tricky. My GF does not like plain bands. We both like Tacori settings, but those are spendy!! She likes the Tacori 2596 or 2620 settings (I don't like Halo's, but what she likes is most important). I would rather spend the bulk of my budget on the diamond, so I am curious if there are alternatives to Tacori that have that same feel?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi and welcome! Within your parameters, I found this stone http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7730/..

The most important thing is probably to find your stone first and then see what you have in your budget for a setting. GOG makes some settings; you could call them and ask about a recommendation.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
sojuorn|1300830014|2877623 said:
I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now. I would like to think that I have learned alot, but I am still having a great deal of trouble in trying to pick a diamond (for engagement ring). I have a few questions I wouldn't mind help with if anyone has the time.

1. I would like my budget to be between 5-6k for the whole ring. I could go over this price, but would very much like to keep it within this range.

2. With my budget in mind, I have a picture of the stats of a diamond I think I could afford. I am thinking .85-.95ish carat, F-H color, VS2-SI1 clarity (must be eye clean, this is very important to me), and I want an ideal cut (H&A would be great, but I don't know if that is necessary.. still confused on this). Of these I rank cut as my #1 priority, with it being eye-clean as #2.

I am having great difficulty finding a diamond to purchase. I have read about measurments and IS-images but I don't feel comfortable with my understanding of these things. I don't feel I can tell what is good and what is bad. I have read that buying a diamond online can save a significant amound of money, so this is the route I am looking at. But without seeing the diamond in person I don't feel I know enough to be comfortable in selecting a 4-5k purchase!!

Right now selecting a diamond is my biggest concern. Any help with this would be much appreciated. However, selection of a setting is also tricky. My GF does not like plain bands. We both like Tacori settings, but those are spendy!! She likes the Tacori 2596 or 2620 settings (I don't like Halo's, but what she likes is most important). I would rather spend the bulk of my budget on the diamond, so I am curious if there are alternatives to Tacori that have that same feel?

the 2620 is pretty distinctive and has a lot of detailing that other halo settings don't have. If she just wanted a halo setting I think it would be easier to find a suitable alternative but if she loves the 2620 then I would get it. GOG carries Tacori, so what about this diamond?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7619/

E B

Ideal_Rock
The Tacori 2620 is ~$2500 in WG, and though it'd be at the upper end of your budget, you could do this as a center stone:

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8133/ ($3628, ask for wire price).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More stone options... but ditto pps - if she really likes that particular setting, I'd seriously consider just getting it and compromising on the diamond - the ring is a package, and the setting is definitely an important half! ::)

0.912 G SI1 WF-ES $4900 http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2617992.htm
A 0.8 F VS1 WF-PS $3950 that looks really nice by the pics, if you want to save a little more for that setting - not H&A though, and would need to talk to WF about upgrade policies, etc. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2141810.htm
1.016 I SI1 WF-ACA $6060 http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2372515.htm

0.92 G VS2 BGD-signature $5500 http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104045361009 (I can't get the hearts pic to blow up on my screen, but I'm having browser issues so maybe it will work for you?)
0.825 H VS2 BGD-signature $3444 http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049771012 (request hearts pic)
1.01 H SI1 BGD blue - sbf $4800 http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104047808008

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd probably choose an H VS2 for you, because H was the lower end of your color range and I think you'll be happier with VS2 since clarity is #2 for you. I'd get the Tacori 2620 and it will make the diamond look bigger, so it won't hurt to go under a carat on your center stone. You've been linked some great stones, so all you have to do is choose one!

Lightfoot

Rough_Rock
slg47|1300835391|2877685 said:

the 2620 is pretty distinctive and has a lot of detailing that other halo settings don't have. If she just wanted a halo setting I think it would be easier to find a suitable alternative but if she loves the 2620 then I would get it. GOG carries Tacori, so what about this diamond?

I'm not sure if they are still doing this but GOG was also giving a little bit of a discount on the diamond if you went with a designer setting (hopefully that is still going on if you go with them). Then the stone that sig47 suggested along with the Tacori in WG would probably just fit in to the upper end of your budget. I wouldn't worry about GOG's signature H&A stones as they are all extremely well vetted and I'm sure will look great.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lightfoot|1300882149|2878033 said:
slg47|1300835391|2877685 said:

I'm not sure if they are still doing this but GOG was also giving a little bit of a discount on the diamond if you went with a designer setting (hopefully that is still going on if you go with them). Then the stone that sig47 suggested along with the Tacori in WG would probably just fit in to the upper end of your budget. I wouldn't worry about GOG's signature H&A stones as they are all extremely well vetted and I'm sure will look great.[/quote]

This is usually only true if you stick to their stones with the Lifetime Guarantee.

Lightfoot

Rough_Rock
I think all their signature h&a stones carry the lifetime policies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results