shape
carat
color
clarity

Another interesting old necklace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Ellen''s thread about her grandmother''s mysterious Victorian necklace inspired me to go take pictures of my own grandmother''s mysterious Victorian necklace.

It seems to be made of thin, low-karat gold, maybe 10K? At least, I think it''s too thin to be gold-filled, but I could be wrong about that. It''s a slide pendant in several colors of gold, set with what look like real seed pearls and a rhinestone, on a filigree chain. I don''t know if the clasp is original.

In fact, I don''t know much about it at all, except that my grandmother, who used to collect Victorian jewelry at garage sales and antique shows in the Midwest in the 1940s-1960s, gave it to me when I was a teenager.

I think it''s kind of goofy, but I''m very fond of it.

Jewelerman--or anyone else--any thoughts about when it''s from? Does my guess of 1890s-1900s sound plausible? Do you think the chain and the slide belong together, or is the chain newer?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Neck shot:

filigreeneck2.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Necklace:

filigreeneck3.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Pendant front:

filigreeneck4.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Another:

filigreeneck5.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Back of pendant:

filigreeneckback1.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 8:35:16 PM
Author:glitterata
Ellen''s thread about her grandmother''s mysterious Victorian necklace inspired me to go take pictures of my own grandmother''s mysterious Victorian necklace.

It seems to be made of thin, low-karat gold, maybe 10K? At least, I think it''s too thin to be gold-filled, but I could be wrong about that. It''s a slide pendant in several colors of gold, set with what look like real seed pearls and a rhinestone, on a filigree chain. I don''t know if the clasp is original.

In fact, I don''t know much about it at all, except that my grandmother, who used to collect Victorian jewelry at garage sales and antique shows in the Midwest in the 1940s-1960s, gave it to me when I was a teenager.

I think it''s kind of goofy, but I''m very fond of it.

Jewelerman--or anyone else--any thoughts about when it''s from? Does my guess of 1890s-1900s sound plausible? Do you think the chain and the slide belong together, or is the chain newer?
Wow!fun piece...At first i thought it might be a little earlier...but after studying the elements ,I agree 1890s-1900...the tasseled bow,engraving,rose color,cluster pearls,and locket,(the crecent shape was huge in late victorian necklaces and pins...)a slide ment to be worn on a ribbon...but I bet the woven wire chain is either original to the piece or same time period...there was gold filled wire chains in the period...much more durable and affordable then gold...but the chain could be low carat wire work also....the slide has the look of aged gold filled jewelry but its not easy to tell from photo...the piece has the feel of a transitional piece in fashion...from the heavy and large jeweled look that was worn with heavy fabrics in the 1880s to the more romantic setimental,light, and airy pieces worn by victorians before 1900.When can the forum come to your house for lunch and a jewelry day...we promise to be good,not spill and we wont take anything
36.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 12:27:01 AM
Author: jewelerman
When can the forum come to your house for lunch and a jewelry day...we promise to be good,not spill and we wont take anything
36.gif

Come on over, and bring your jewelry boxes!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Its a date ...but i doubt you will be able to get me to leave!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t call it goofy, quirky maybe! But neat, I love the bow aspect, but then I love bows.
5.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I think is it really interesting and the bows are awesome....lovely heirloom!

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results