shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Idealscope Image thread

mwh624

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
Been lurking for awhile now. Gotten a lot of great info from reading through the forums.
Attached is an Idealscope image of a diamond I am considering from an online vendor.
Specs are:
1.31 C Round Cut
Color J
VS2
GIA Report #1179799371

Wanted to get the opinion of people with a lot more experience than myself on how you think the light performance will be.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

-mwh624

_24849.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was the stone titled in the IS? Ask them.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
mwh624,

A couple of things of note from the GIA grading report:

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?rep...ryptedString=8694F038947A5DBC0DAE52531776BECC

1 - The angles are complimentary and you would expect good performance - But do note that these angles are rounded averages, so there may be some play outside the parameters listed.

Why does that matter? Well, the proportions of this stone (CA 34, PA 41) sit at a nice and tidy 1.3 on the HCA - "Excellent, worthy of further consideration." But even a slight change in the average rounded angle, just enough to make it a CA34, PA41.1 change the HCA to a 2.1 - "Very good, worth buying if the price is right."

2 - If it is a concern, do notice the strong blue fuorescence

The IS image itself:

The diamond has good light return, the areas of leakage at 2:30 and 7:30 under the table will not be overly noticeable at 'real-life' size, but may be an indication of some of those angles that fall outside the optimum range before taken in context with the others to give you the rounded angles indicated on the grading report.

What I like about it:

I would expect, due to the strong blue fluorescence and bit of leakage on the IS that you could get this diamond for a good price relative to diamonds of similar proportions graded at J VS2.

mwh624

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,
Please forgive my ignorance, but what does 'titled in IS mean'?

Diamond Hawk,
Many thanks for taking the time to write a detailed analysis, I truly appreciate it. You are correct, the price of this diamond is very appealing at $6990. Here is what the gemologist said:

I am very pleased to inform you that the gemologist found this diamond to be gorgeous in person! He said that the light performance and brilliance is excellent. This diamond has very nice fire and sparkle throughout and looks very bright. The color appears closer to an I probably due to the fluorescence. He also confirmed that the inclusions are not visible from any angle. The gemologist recommends this diamond as a wonderful performer and it is safe to say that the Idealscope image does not do justice to the in person beauty and brilliance.

Sounded like a sales pitch, but looks like there may be a lot of truth to this. Given the price, do think it is a good buy?

Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It means I am dyslexic. :lol:

I meant was the stone TILTED in the IS image.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
mwh624|1417671596|3794964 said:
Given the price, do think it is a good buy?

As a trade member I am not going to give specific recommendations on price/value even though you haven't disclosed the vendor who is carrying this diamond. I can, however, recommend that you use the diamond search tool at the top of this forum, put in the parameters you are looking at, sort by HCA score if you would like, and look at 'comparable' diamonds in terms of all 4 C's in order to get an idea of what is available and at what cost.

That said, EVERY diamond has it's own personality - the numbers, pictures, scores and analysis will give you a general idea of what to expect, but nothing compares to seeing the diamond in (or on) your hand.

Once someone finds a diamond to love, he or she typically finds the purchase price far, far down on the list of important considerations (though it is ALWAYS nice to find a great deal!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results