shape
carat
color
clarity

Another help thread on a Princess diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

madclown

Rough_Rock
First, let me thank all the knowledgeable posters here, I've learned a great deal lurking here the last few weeks! Now it's time for me to buy a ring. Before this forum, the only thing I knew about diamonds was what the mall jewelers wanted to tell me.

My GF would like .50 carat princess cut; I figure a budget of $1500-$2000 should get me a nice stone. However, I found this at WF that looks like a really good deal at $1100. What do you guys think?

0.56c G SI1 X-Factor

I called, but their office is closed so I don't know if it's eye-clean or not. I'm also looking at these three:

0.715c H VS2 X-Factor

0.710c H VS2 ACA

0.57c I VS1 ACA

My GF isn't concerned with anything much larger than 0.50c, so quality and eye-clean would be more important. The ASET pics are still a little confusing to me, but these ones looked good. Am I on the right track? If anyone has another rock I should look at, please don't hesitate to point me in that direction!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you did a great job! They look good to me (although I am NOT a princess expert), and you really can''t go wrong with a WF ACA stone if that''s what you choose. The nice thing about the x-factors is that they don''t have the same corners as princesses, and sometimes princeses run into chipping issues on the corners. So this is the best of both worlds.

I would probably stay away from the I because princess stones can show warmth a LOT easier than other cuts. So I would stick to H and G if possible if it were me.

Also, the second X-factor has an extremely thin girdle in parts. That might worry me unless you''re putting it in a very protective setting.

Out of these choices the .71 H VS2 ACA would be my choice. I wouldn''t do the I, and all the others have "very thin" or "extremely thin" parts to the girdle which worries me a bit.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, I forgot to mention, but make sure to ask for the PS discount! It will save you some $ through whiteflash!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My princess is an I, and it faces up very white in most lighting. It does show a little warmth at times, but it''s a great deal if it doesn''t bother you. The only reason my princess was affordable was because it was I color.

That said, I''d probably go with the H/VS2 X-factor, since the X-factor cut is really nice looking, durable, and faces up bigger (no wasted weight in the corners). I would have chosen an X-factor, but the setting I designed really only worked with a traditional princess, so I went with an ACA. The 0.7 is a plus, because even if she says 0.5 is fine, she''ll be very pleasantly surprised by a bigger diamond!
2.gif

madclown

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick replies!

Neatfreak, the middle one you mentioned does have a nice pattern, but I''m concerned about it having a lot of blue/black spots, will they take away from the sparkle or add to the contrast?

The girdle on the x-factor cut has a wide margin, I''ll have to call WF on Monday to ask about specific diamonds on where the thin spots are. From what I''ve read (previous x-factor threads here on Pricescope), it''s ok to have thin spots on a girdle, just not where the setting holds. (I''ll mention PS to get the discount, thanks for reminding me!)

Jstarfireb, I did look at some I color stones, but none of the Idealscope/ASET pics stood out for me...like I said tho, I may be overlooking some good rocks! If you find something, please let me know. As for the setting, do you think this one will be nice for a princess diamond?

"Sleek Lines" Solitaire

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I believe that lots of blue in an ASET is a desirable thing, and the stone has lots of contrast with the green and red in the center, all good things. It does have some black, but most princesses will and since it is still an AGS 0 rating for light performance, I wouldn't worry about it. Whiteflash also rates it a 5/5, so that is a very good thing too.

I do like the setting you've chosen, but I LOVE the sleek line legato setting. The head is just so much prettier and more delicate:

http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WF-4150&CategID=13

It's a tad bit more expensive than the one you've chosen, but sooooooo much nicer and more feminine. Just look at the difference in the prongs and the head and you'll see what I mean.

ETA: Maisie just got your exact size stone (but a round) in this setting. Here is her thread, it is just GORGEOUS!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/at-long-last-my-wf-ring.62795/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very seriously, princess stones face up smaller than rounds, so I''d definitely try to go for one of the .71 stones. They are not too large, I promise! And diamonds have a way of shrinking over time, trust me! I''d personally prefer the x-facor, but I''d have to discuss the very thin girdle issue to find out if that is just a tiny area or a longer area. Otherwise, I''d take the regular princess.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2007 6:26:37 PM
Author: neatfreak
I do like the setting you''ve chosen, but I LOVE the sleek line legato setting. The head is just so much prettier and more delicate:
http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WF-4150&CategID=13
It''s a tad bit more expensive than the one you''ve chosen, but sooooooo much nicer and more feminine. Just look at the difference in the prongs and the head and you''ll see what I mean.
ETA: Maisie just got your exact size stone (but a round) in this setting. Here is her thread, it is just GORGEOUS!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/at-long-last-my-wf-ring.62795/

I''ll second this! The "legato" setting was one of my top choices if I didn''t end up customizing it. It''s really beautiful and feminine. There''s also one with a pave diamond band that uses the "legato" head:
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Legato--with-Micro-Pave_1071.htm

I also liked the "fine line" for a princess solitaire:
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/-Fine-Line--Platinum-Solitaire_691.htm#

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2007 4:08:01 PM
Author: neatfreak
Some others I would consider. The first two have medium girdles which are very safe and the third isn''t too bad either:

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-284261.htm

This one has a GORGEOUS center pattern:
http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-159861.htm

Another with a nice pattern:

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-114342.htm#

hello, i have a princess myself and all of the choices posted here seem very good. but i especially liked the second one listed here by neatfreak. (GORGEOUS). she''s right, it has a stunning center pattern and is very organized to the eye, in a very pleasing way. it looks like it could be quite brilliant.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2007 6:09:12 PM
Author: madclown
Thanks for the quick replies!

Neatfreak, the middle one you mentioned does have a nice pattern, but I''m concerned about it having a lot of blue/black spots, will they take away from the sparkle or add to the contrast?

The girdle on the x-factor cut has a wide margin, I''ll have to call WF on Monday to ask about specific diamonds on where the thin spots are. From what I''ve read (previous x-factor threads here on Pricescope), it''s ok to have thin spots on a girdle, just not where the setting holds. (I''ll mention PS to get the discount, thanks for reminding me!)

Jstarfireb, I did look at some I color stones, but none of the Idealscope/ASET pics stood out for me...like I said tho, I may be overlooking some good rocks! If you find something, please let me know. As for the setting, do you think this one will be nice for a princess diamond?

''Sleek Lines'' Solitaire
whoops, should have finished reading the thread..... i actually like this sleek lines solitaire best for your stone. the legato sleek lines is a very close second (i''m considering the pave band with legato head for my princess). who am i to say, but it seems to me with this particular setting you''ll get the best showcase for a .5ct stone. it appears to sit up just a bit higher, and i like that you get to see the sides of the diamond unobstructed. i think the gentle v shape is just beautiful too. i love that it tapers in toward the stone as well, though all the options presented do that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results