shape
carat
color
clarity

Another GoodOldGold Experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

djr59

Rough_Rock

Well, here is my GoodOldGold story for everyone. First, I started the process reading on the internet about rings, diamonds, etc. I checked out BlueNile, Mondera, and other online sites and knowing what I know now, I think you can buy a diamond over the internet but you do need to make sure you are dealing with a reputable company. Anyway, back to my story, I decided to venture out to my local jewelry store (no names here), to check it out. The jeweler said he only deals with ideal cuts and that he would take some info and get the stones out of the vault for me and I would need to come back. So I made an appointment and came back. He showed 5 stones in my price range, but none were ideal, and all had no sparkle. I said to him, are these ideal cuts, and he said, they are as ideal as you can get. I think he meant to say, "as ideal as he can get", or "if you think they are ideal, then they are ideal", or "if I can only sucker you into buying this junk in your price range". Anyway, I said, "See ya".

Ok, so still confused, I stumbled across this website and started reading what other people were saying. Wow, the boat is full of diamond buyers with little knowledge. I didn''t think there was so many people looking to get engaged. Everyone seemed to be talking about a place in Massapequa called GoodOldGold. Well, considering I grew up in Massapequa and I never miss an opportunity to eat at All American (good burger place), i decided to venture off to GoodOldGold (GOG).

At this point let me say that I had done a little peeking at rings in the mall windows with my girlfriend to get a idea of what she liked. I knew that she liked round cut, yellow gold setting, and channel set diamonds on the side. (lesson #1, know what she likes or you will go nuts)

On my first trip to GOG I met with Jonathan (Rhino). He spent a good hour and a half with me showing me all his toys and how he can dissect a diamond for me. I have to admit, I was very impressed. It is one thing to have a jeweler tell you a diamond is good or to read an appraisal, but when you start seeing pictures that make sense you realize that there is more to a diamond than what meets the eye. In my price range we focused on two stones, a G and I. I wanted the G, but because I hesitated the G got sold (lesson #2, don''t hesitate). I have to admit though, I looked at a D, F, G, and I and I really don''t know what all the hoopla is over color, sure you can see a slight yellow to the I, but when I say slight, I mean slight and only bottom up. Top down they all sparkle and look white! (lesson #3, color is not that important). As Jonathan would say, cut is what matters and he is right. If you compare a I hearts and arrows to a I non hearts and arrows, you will see the difference. I was also looking at G and I cause I had decided that since she wanted yellow gold, I could go that low on color. I placed my ordering as follows, Cut clarity, Color, Carat. Carat, was a given, I wanted 1.5. Cut was a given, I wanted the best cut I could get. Clarity, I have to admit I looked at SI''s and preferred a eye clean stone, which usually was VS2 or better. My I was a VS2. Color, I think I told you, really does not seem to be that important if you get a good cut and clarity. My stone scored a 1.1 on the old HCA tool, now it gets a 1.3, they changed something I think.

So back to Jonathan. Great guy. Taught me a lot in that hour and half and I walked away convinced I will do my business with GOG. Compared to the first jeweler, Jonathan seemed interested in how i spent my money. Let''s face it, if your spending 5 figures on a ring, you should get some respect. They even offered me lunch! So I left with the G and I on my mind, and like I said I lost the G, so my mind was made up, since I was torn b/w the two stones. So now I have my stone, I had my deposit and I needed the setting.

I made a few trips to GOG to look at settings and during these trips I worked with Christen, Marie, and Amy. Again, 3 very nice people who will take their time and work with you. You get the impression that they care, like I said before. They listened to me as I described what I thought she liked (future fiance). Well, we finally narrowed it down and I saw the stone and the final setting side by side and said, "Set it". (Lesson #4, make sure budget includes setting) I blew my budget cause I under-estimated what a nice setting cost, but it was no big deal at this point.

The day came to see the completed ring and I was stunned. It was everything I wanted and I knew she wanted. I had Christen put it on her finger to show me what it looked like on and it looked great. I was getting really excited now about this ordeal.

So in conclusion. If you are shopping for a ring, relax. There are people out there who will help you. GOG is a great place to go and I highly recommend them. I plan to return to get the matching wedding band (lesson #5, give your jeweler a good review and get a discount on the band) (only kidding here). I would give them a good recommendation even if I don''t get a discount. I am attaching pictures of my ring. I have not pulled the trigger on the event yet, I am still a couple of weeks away from that, so this is a secret that you, me and my jeweler know.

Thanks and good luck!

z0423.jpg

z04232.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Very Pretty & Classy! Congrats!

djr59

Rough_Rock
Pics are not as good as I would like. I will take some better shots and post them. Here is the HCA numbers:

Holloway Cut Adviser

Selected: 60.8% depth, 56% table, 34.6° crown angle, 40.8° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish
Note: HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003.

Even though HCA grades cut more effectively than systems like the AGS, it does not yet factor in symmetry and minor facets. Having found a diamond that scores well, you should employ an expert appraiser to examine the stone. If you decide not to, then at least compare the diamond to others and/or view it through an ideal-scope.

A score below 2 (Excellent) means you have eliminated known poor performers (more than 95% of all diamonds). Your own personal preference may be for a diamond with an HCA score of 1.5 more rather than one with a lower score of say 0.5.

Many diamonds with excellent scores may not be traditional 'ideal cuts' but we believe their value will rise once the GIA establishes its cut standard.
This system is being continually fine-tuned and results may change without notice.

Garry Holloway FGAA DDT

djr59

Rough_Rock

djr59

Rough_Rock
HCA will not paste in for some reason.
All were excellent except spread which was very good.
Overall Score 1.3 - Excellent within TIC range

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
What a great looking ring and sounds like you had a fantastic experience. That is what it is all about !

What are the specs on the ring/ stone ?

Congrats - I am sure she will sparkle with this ROCK !
rolleyes.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay that thing is a sparkling monster! I love it. Congrats on the great stone, the impending engagement, and for having the sense to do your homework beforehand and get your priorities in order!
1.gif
Your points are VERY well made!!! It's too easy to go insane by just 'looking'.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Djr59-Wow...What a beautiful ring. I really like the look of the channel set princess stones that run along both sides of the band....

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey djr,

Thanks a bunch for the kind words. It was a great pleasure to be able to serve. I get many questions in email each week that ask how well does the data (B'scope, LightScope, symmetry images) correlate to the human eye and does it indeed make a difference aesthetically. Your post has answered that question and I am glad you were able to come in and see these differences for yourself under both our lab equipment (critical analysis) and also under various light conditions with the eye (practical analysis). When you're ready for the bands, speak with me and any room I have you got it!
1.gif

Peace,
Rhino

djr59

Rough_Rock

Your welcome Jonatahan.

As for the person who asked about the specs, let me get out the great appraisal GOG gave me and copy them for you:

Cut: Round Brilliant
Carats: 1.56
Proportions: Ideal
Girdle 1.1 - 1.7
Cutlet .4%
Depth: 60.8%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Pavilion Depth: 42.7%
Pavilion Angles: 40.8 degrees
Table: 56.8%
Crown Height: 15.1%
Crown Angles: 34.6 degrees
Color: I
Clarity VS2
Hearts and Arrows Image verified
Side stones are all Very Good cuts and are G-H Color VS-SI quality
Side stone weight is .76 across 10 stones
Setting is a Ingwer 14kt YG with platinum head

Cost: Well let's just say it was alot but I am happy with the final product. Compared to other prices I saw it was in the ballpark, but all diamonds are over-priced.
ADJR.jpg
hdjr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results