shape
carat
color
clarity

Another GIA clarity grading question

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
This is a virtual stone, trying to decide if someone should call it in for a closer look.

How does GIA decide where to plot the inclusions on the certificate? Are they plotted in the face-up diagram only if they are visible from face-up, or is it if they're located in a plane above the girdle? Same for inclusions on the pavilion - is that because they're located below the girdle, or only visible when looked at from pavilion-side?

What I'm getting at is, if there's an inclusion plotted on the pavilion-side diagram, is it likely to be visible when looking top down into the diamond? Does putting it on the pavilion diagram mean that it's not visible from the top, or only that it's located below the girdle in the stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What Clarity grade is it, first of all. By what lab? What is your definition of eyeclean (clarity is graded from the top of the stone only) and if the stone is lower than VS1, can you post the diagram?

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
It's GIA SI1. I don't care if I can see the inclusion from the side, but would rather not see it smack in the middle of the table, kwim? So I'm wondering if there's any significance to it being plotted only on the pavilion diagram.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
milton333|1343672497|3243037 said:
This is a virtual stone, trying to decide if someone should call it in for a closer look.

How does GIA decide where to plot the inclusions on the certificate? Are they plotted in the face-up diagram only if they are visible from face-up, or is it if they're located in a plane above the girdle? Same for inclusions on the pavilion - is that because they're located below the girdle, or only visible when looked at from pavilion-side?

What I'm getting at is, if there's an inclusion plotted on the pavilion-side diagram, is it likely to be visible when looking top down into the diamond? Does putting it on the pavilion diagram mean that it's not visible from the top, or only that it's located below the girdle in the stone?

It only means that the inclusion is located below the girdle. It may still be possible to see it from the top view. If the stone is VS or better than it's likely to be eyeclean, but as Gypsy said, this means only from the top view, so if you also don't want to see inclusions from the side, then you would need to have that assessed. Eye clean varies even between vendors so I think it's important to ask how they are determining the eye cleanliness of the stone and also to explain what eye clean means to you. For me it's from within 6 inches, I prefer that there be no visible inclusions from the side, although for me, it's not a deal breaker, dependent of course on type, color and placement. If the stone your inquiring about is in the SI range, then you should ask specifically about durability issues as well. Also consider the age of the report, if the stone has been traded then it's possible that it no longer matches the report, and you should consult a gemologist.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
milton333|1343673962|3243053 said:
It's GIA SI1. I don't care if I can see the inclusion from the side, but would rather not see it smack in the middle of the table, kwim? So I'm wondering if there's any significance to it being plotted only on the pavilion diagram.

Can you post the plot diagram? What type of inclusion is it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results