shape
carat
color
clarity

Another GemScan question...please help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brocksgirl24

Rough_Rock

Ok, so I''ve done a search on here and read the posts regarding GemScan but I still feel confused and need some advice. So if anyone can help, that would be great! My bf is picking up our ring this week from the dealer (it was being set). The ring will come with the original certificate which is from GemScan PLUS an appraisal from the dealer (he does his own appraisals). When my bf told him that we wanted to get a second appraisal, he recommended that we go to GemScan and they will confirm that what is written on their certificate is true. He thought that taking it to an independent appraiser would be a waste of $. I called GemScan and the price to do this is $40.00, not a bad price. They also want us to bring the original certificate from them. Is this normal procedure? Is there anything to worry about here or should we take it somewhere else? We''re spending alot of $ so I just want to make sure we arent getting ripped off. What do you guys think?

brock

Rough_Rock

let me bump this for you hunny...

=o)

There must be someone out there that can contribute to the forum!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I personally wouldn''t bring the first appraisal for the second appraiser. I would be wondering if they would just copy the first one. I think it would be interesting to compare the two and see how close they are. I''ve never heard of Gemscan...but then again I''m new. I just know I wouldn''t bring the first appraisal with me.

laney

Brilliant_Rock

You should bring the apprasial. And any certificates (GIA, etc) that you may have with the stone.

The usual procedure is that the independant appriaser will look at, measure, test, etc the diamond, and plot out any inclusions without looking at the apprasial and/or certs you provide. One he/she has completed the evaluation, she/he will discuss with you the results. Then they may ask to see the other apprasial and/or certs.

If the diamond is already set when you take it for the appraisal (which it should be for insurance purposes) then there might be slight differences say, on carat weight - as the appraiser has to ''weigh" it in the setting. Your certification may have the weight of only the stone.

Your "appraiser" will look at the papers you bring and discuss with you any differences they find - and explain them to you. For example, what if your apprasier rates your diamond at a "J" color - and you thought you bought a "G" color. While you are in the office, they can re-test if necessary or help guide you on what to do next (i.e. if you paid too much..)

Anyway - we paid I think $85 at an independant, certified appraiser, even though we had the ACS cert and an appraisal from the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results