shape
carat
color
clarity

Another FCD - opinions?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I currently have a green stone on hold at Leibish, the heart.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/3404.htm

What do you guys think about it? I dislike hearts, but the color appeals to me much more than any of the other listed greens (that aren't far above of my level of affordability). I am somewhat concerned that it might be too pale - could Kenny or anyone else who regularly checks on FCD stock there suggest how often new stones are added? I understand that it is completely variable, but I'd love to have a general idea of the chance I'll buy it, and then they add a FI green within my budget 3 weeks later. ;(

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely lovely green diamond, but at 47.4% depth find out whether it windows.
Even if it does you have to decide if you care.

My 0.16 Orangy Pink windows but I don't care.
The color makes it worth it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellowish green isn't as valuable as fancy green, which makes it affordable, but it still has a nice green face up. Ask if the blue fluor affects it's color in the sun however. You don't want it looking less green outdoors.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for both of those points - have written to see if they can provide any info about those aspects of the stone.

I know the yellowish modifier drops the value, but the color still appeals to me - it seems significantly less yellow than most of the other stones listed. The only other one on Leibish's site that immediately struck me, and is in my price range, is http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/3815.htm - is that possibly a better purchase, as a non-modified, intense colored stone?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I'm learning is color (and price) can vary quite a bit within a single GIA color grade, such as Fancy Intense.

I've been looking at blues too and that seems like a nice value.
It has some bowtie, and the side view shows the symmetry could be better.
It's nice Leibish shows the unflattering side view, instead of omitting it.

80% depth and the thick girdle strengthen the color by lengthening the light path, but the face up will be on the small side for the weight.
Still, overall I think it is a very pretty blue hue and at that carat weight I think it's a good price.

I like that the color holds up in the side view.
Stephen Hofer calls that inherent color, while he calls the color seen in the top view apparent color.
FCDs with decent inherent color are more desireable as they didn't have to depend as much on clever cutting for good face up color.

I would ask them if the gray areas we see is reflections of the tweezers.
If it is and they hold it with fingers those gray areas will turn flesh color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results