shape
carat
color
clarity

Another estimate on an e-ring from Tiffany''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BLJ0145

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, been checkin out the site now for a few days trying to figure out exactly whats going on with Tiffany''s and their pricings for engagement rings, everything seems to be a variable of something else, so I figured I''d just pose the question with my very own variable and see what I get in return. Any help would be appreciated, and yeah I know I can get rings cheaper through a vendor, but Tiffany''s is the ONLY place I''m buying from, but I do appreciate the reminder/notification about saving some money.

Alright well here it is my e-ring, Im looking for a tiffany setting, Platinum ring with a round ( I think thats what they call them) diamond, around 1.25c to 1.5c (closer to 1.5c though) with a VVS2, clarity of F or E, girdle medium, and a table in the 53-57 % range. Obviously these variables can change, because (pardon the pun) they aren''t set in stone. My budget is around 22K maybe a little higher if need be.

Again any info would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from all you experts shortly. Many thank yous in advance.

Brett

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are no variables to Tiffany pricing...so I''m not sure why you''re asking the question here if you''re dead set on buying from Tiff''s?

Cosmogrrl

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/17/2007 2:14:04 AM
Author:BLJ0145
Hey everyone, been checkin out the site now for a few days trying to figure out exactly whats going on with Tiffany''s and their pricings for engagement rings, everything seems to be a variable of something else, so I figured I''d just pose the question with my very own variable and see what I get in return. Any help would be appreciated, and yeah I know I can get rings cheaper through a vendor, but Tiffany''s is the ONLY place I''m buying from, but I do appreciate the reminder/notification about saving some money.

Alright well here it is my e-ring, Im looking for a tiffany setting, Platinum ring with a round ( I think thats what they call them) diamond, around 1.25c to 1.5c (closer to 1.5c though) with a VVS2, clarity of F or E, girdle medium, and a table in the 53-57 % range. Obviously these variables can change, because (pardon the pun) they aren''t set in stone. My budget is around 22K maybe a little higher if need be.

Again any info would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from all you experts shortly. Many thank yous in advance.

Brett

Welcome BLJ0145,
Is there any wiggle room on any of the specs? Alot of people here would say that a VVS2 is overkill for something you won''t see.
I have a Tiffany''s ring and the two people I dealt with on two different occasions noted that I would definetly get a larger diamond if I let one thing go a bit. I had went into the store with the same specs as you. They suggested an F VS1 or an I VVS2. I was thankful that they suggested that (as I was doing my shopping BEFORE I found this site) as I would have regretted how much smaller my diamond would have been had I stuck to my original plan. They also adviced me to go higher on colour, as opposed to clarity, as their diamonds are all excellent cuts.
Have you called Tiffany''s for pricing? Like most places, once you hit that 1ct. mark, the price jumps. I had a friend looking at a 2 ct. in NYC with the specs you mentioned and the price was $60,000. I would call to find out.
Happy Shopping!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Brett!

I would call Tiffany to find out the prices of the type of ring you are interested in, that way you know exactly what you can get for the budget and can alter your specs accordingly if needed.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2007 9:00:52 AM
Author: Lorelei
Welcome Brett!

I would call Tiffany to find out the prices of the type of ring you are interested in, that way you know exactly what you can get for the budget and can alter your specs accordingly if needed.

ditto, I''d als drop down to an H VS2 unless their are cultural reasons for the high color and clarity. This would allow you to get a larger stone..

AdamSklar

Rough_Rock
Prices supposedly went up in July, but I bought a 1.25 E VVS2 triple EX round brilliant, classic setting for $24,000 (a little over 26k out the door). All other specs were also within your parameters. About a 43% mark up factoring in tax, but brand was important to my FI and she didn't want anything too gaudy.

A 1.5 with those specs is going to be well over 25k, even with an F color grade. From what I saw, there tends to be about a 2k difference between each color and clarity grade. This is, of course, a rough generalization. Hope this helps.

Adam

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there any way that you can find out if your gf is colour sensitive-we picked out our ring last month at Tiffanys and in the end I picked I colour as I couldn''t see any difference in the end. Ours was $14500 or round about that, after tax was added and we got a 1.23 lucida VVS2. Definitely give them a call and they will go through prices with you. You should definitely be able to get something nice with your budget though.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
i was just at tiffany''s for fun, and here are the prices and specs for the rings i tried on:
1.61 I VS1 $21,700
1.65 I VVS2 $22,900

both are rounds. i have two e-rings, one is an F, the other is a G, and i love how white they are. but honestly, i couldn''t see much difference between the G and I under jewelry lighting. i might not be very color-sensitive though. or maybe the size of the stone was keeping me a bit preoccupied?

i definitely think you should go higher in color (G-H), and there''s nothing wrong with VS1 or VS2 if the stone is well-cut (most of them seem pretty good to me, although i saw a poorly cut lucida).

i can''t wait to see what you decide! you definitely have a lot of variables to tinker with, so i wouldn''t worry too much about the budget (i.e., it''s more than adequate if you''re willing to compromise a little).

BLJ0145

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the posts everyone, I appreciate the advice, alot of knowledge I see. Im actually quite impressed. :D Anyway I am going to call Tiffany''s tomorrow, and throw them the variables you have all suggested and figure out where to go from there. I am sure I will post again, and I def wouldn''t mind if you all continue to toss your insight out there... and when it comes time to take the big plung you will all be te first to see the pics... well second :D
Thanks again

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I will say is that the lighting in Tiffany''s makes it impossible to tell the difference in color. You can tell a D from an I in natural daylight, but it''s hard to tell in Tiffany''s. Please do let go of the medium girdle, though. An ideal cut diamond can have thin, medium, or slightly thick. VS1 clarity pretty much means you can''t see inclusions with a loupe, so that will expand your options if you can consider it. F and G are very white and will allow you to go a little larger than if you stick with E.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Under the lights you definitely can''t see the difference in colour-but if you get a nice SA they will let you take it over to the window. I took four or five rings over to the window and I could compare and contrast them there. It was definitely better than looking at them under the lights

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
I love Tiffany's. I get my stationery from there, and we registered for some barware from there too. But best of all, one time when I went in there shortly after we became engaged with my fiance, they had a lucida with side trillions that looked very similar to my e-ring. It was the same carat weight, a lower color grade lower, and $136K.

Fiance stopped grumbling both about the cost of my e-ring AND finally admitted that I know what I'm doing when it comes to diamonds.
9.gif

Date: 8/17/2007 2:14:04 AM
Author:BLJ0145
Alright well here it is my e-ring, Im looking for a tiffany setting, Platinum ring with a round ( I think thats what they call them) diamond, around 1.25c to 1.5c (closer to 1.5c though) with a VVS2, clarity of F or E, girdle medium, and a table in the 53-57 % range. Obviously these variables can change, because (pardon the pun) they aren't set in stone. My budget is around 22K maybe a little higher if need be.

Brett
Brett, if Tiffany is what your fiance wants and you are comfortable with their pricing, I say go and have fun. They have some beautiful items there, and the little blue box does help with the "mind clean" factor. Their pricing is pretty static and non-negotiable for the most part, so the way to handle it is to see a LOT of stones with a lot of varying criteria until you find one that maximizes your values.

If I were looking for an e-ring from Tiffany & Co, I would call in advance and ask to speak either with the floor manager or an engagement consultant, tell him/her what parameters I had in mind, ask to both call in some stones for you, and set up an appointment in the private room at which you could see a variety of stones. You're paying for the Tiffany's experience, so make sure you get the full experience. Diamondseeker and Bee make some excellent points about lighting issues when determining color (it is okay to demand you be taken to natural lighting/outdoor conditions when you get to the final choice or two, BTW), and Adam's post is a good apples-to-apples comparison on what you're seeking IMO. If you're hoping to go closer to 1.5 on your budget, I would suggest going lower in clarity from VVS to VS1 or even VS2 in a round brilliant.

And when you think you've chosen the stone, ask for the certificate and write down all the information on it (especially table/depth percentages, crown and pavillion angles, etc.). Then come back and make a fresh post and ask someone to "run the numbers" for you. On RB, the math is pretty straightfoward, and you can tell by those numbers how optimized the light return will be. Oh yeah, and if you have the budget for an eternity band wedding ring, Tiffany's really are little works of art in their workmanship and an excellent choice. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results