shape
carat
color
clarity

Another EGL Cert question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

carbon lover

Rough_Rock
Jewelers & brokers have told me it''s easier to get EGL stones because it takes GIA 5-6 weeks to grade a stone and at that rate they wouldn''t get enough stones to sell. Is that fact?

If I fall in love with a stone that has an EGL cert, is it a good idea to also get it GIA certified? It seems that people on this site recommend GIA.
5.gif

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Hi Carbon,

It's true that EGL has more physical labs than GIA, and I believe they can process higher volumes, but on the other hand, it's not like there's a massive backlog of diamonds waiting to be graded by GIA (at least that I've ever heard of). Just looking around different sites and search engines, it doesn't exactly seem like there's a shortage of GIA or AGS stones in the marketplace so I might be tempted to think the dealers you mention are possibly trying to "spin" their stocking of EGL stones in a positive light.

The general consensus around the forum is that GIA and AGS are the two most reliable labs, but EGL can be reliable, depending on which location is doing the grading. If memory serves, American EGL labs are very reliable, as is their Antwerp lab, but their labs in other areas of the world (especially Israel) are notoriously loose graders. Caution might be in order if considering a diamond graded by one of the less-strict labs.

If you are in love with an EGL-graded diamond, then you probably already know you'll be happy with it regardless of how reliable the paperwork is. The benefit of a GIA report on the diamond would then be in determining what a fair purchase price for the stone would be. If the price isn't an issue to you, then maybe the EGL cert is good enough. Does that make sense?
1.gif

-Tim

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Yes, GIA is slower, but, as Tim stated, there are a lot of GIA diamonds for sale. If you fall in love with an EGL graded diamond, make sure the grades are correct(one difference in color or clarity is common and acceptable) and buy it! Remember that, although certificates are important, you're buying a diamond and not a piece of paper!!!

Giangi
1.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
Hi,
If the diamond has an e.g.l cert. it is very unlikley to get the same grade, by g.i.a (therefore the cheaper prices on e.g.l),Belive me , if the cutter would have thought that it would get the same in g.i.a the stone would have had a g.i.a cert.,Not to say that the e.g.l cert. is not good ,but the tend to give the "benefit of the doubt".
bottom line is that if you want to resubmit the e.g.l to g.i.a expecting to get the same grade,You will not!!it would be a waste of money and time.

diamondsman
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results